Page 71 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2161697071
Results 1,401 to 1,409 of 1409

Thread: What Was the Last Book You Read?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,812 Times in 1,648 Posts

Default Re: What Was the Last Book You Read?

Loving this: You Must Change Your Life—the Story of Rainer Maria Rilke and Auguste Rodin by Rachel Corbett. Two astonishingly gifted men and their lifelong discussion of what it means to be an artist. I stop so many times to look up sculptures and lines of poetry new to me that it’s like reading 3 books at once. The author makes a smooth job of it, engaging and not overly sentimental.
    Last edited by VertOlive; April 1st, 2024 at 10:34 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 2nd, 2024), Kaputnik (April 2nd, 2024), Lady Onogaro (April 29th, 2024), Lloyd (April 2nd, 2024), Robalone (April 8th, 2024), Yazeh (April 1st, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 359 Posts

The Glass Bead Game - Hermann Hesse.
    Just read this again for the tenth time ! One of the best books I’ve ever read . Sure does take some gettin' into.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 2nd, 2024), VertOlive (April 7th, 2024), Yazeh (April 3rd, 2024)

Thanks

I recently devoured 'The Chronicles of Eldoria' by Aria Nightshade. It's an enchanting tale set in a magical realm where dragons soar, ancient prophecies unfold, and unlikely heroes rise. The vivid descriptions of mystical forests, spellbinding castles, and epic battles had me hooked from page one. And the characters? Oh, they felt like old friends—brave warriors, mischievous fairies, and brooding sorcerers. If you're yearning for adventure, grab a copy and lose yourself in Eldoria's secrets. BooksRun's bulk buying feature https://booksrun.com/books/bulk is a game-changer for book lovers and businesses alike. Whether you're a bibliophile stocking up on favorites or a retailer in need of inventory, their bulk option offers convenience and savings. With competitive pricing and a wide selection, it's the go-to destination for purchasing books in large quantities. Explore the possibilities and stock up on your reading materials today!
    Last edited by Kobaken; April 25th, 2024 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,610 Times in 705 Posts

"Therefore a prudent ruler ought not to keep faith when by so doing it would be against his interest and when the reasons which made him bind himself no longer exist. If men were all good, this precept would not be a good one; but as they are bad, and would not observe their faith with you, so you are not bound to keep faith with them."

"But it is necessary to be able to disguise this character well, and to be a great feigner and dissembler; and men are so simple and so ready to obey present necessities, that one who deceives well will always find those who allow themselves to be deceived."

Niccolo Machiavelli - The Prince

This slim classic has been sitting on my shelves for decades unread. Not the same shelves, as I have moved several times, but most of my books have traveled with me.

After finally getting around to it, I have a better understanding of the term "Machiavellian". I have to admit that the above passages from chapter 18 actually made me smile a bit.
    Last edited by Kaputnik; April 28th, 2024 at 09:00 PM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 29th, 2024)

Thanks

"Persian Fire" by Tom Holland.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,580 Times in 944 Posts

A Grave Robbery by Deanna Raybourn and The Warm Hands of Ghosts by Katherine Arden. Loved the Arden book.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 30th, 2024)

Thanks

Hope, by Jane Goodall
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 2nd, 2024)

Thanks

"Persian Fire" by Tom Holland.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Motomachi10 For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 3rd, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,610 Times in 705 Posts

I've been going through a book of writings of Benjamin Franklin, dipping into it here and there. It concludes with his famous autobiography.

All very interesting. Once one gets past his almost sanctified founding father image, he really was a rather remarkable person. A hard working example of a self-made man, of course, but also an intellectual with multiple interests. One essay is on some experiments with using electricity to treat the paralysis of limbs. His conclusion: it didn't seem to work. An essay on the relations between Indians and White settlers is very sympathetic to the former, understanding how the Indians, with their great formality and rules of behavior, see the Whites as rude and untrustworthy.

I've so far only read part 1 of the autobiography, which concludes with his marriage to Deborah Read in 1730 when he was 24 years old. Actually, a common law marriage, as her first husband had gone AWOL after their separation, and it is not certain what happened to him. But what sticks out the most is Franklin's enterprising spirit, striking out on his own in his teens, and establishing himself as a successful printer and newspaper publisher in his early twenties.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 8th, 2024)