Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: What Was the Last Book You Read?

Thanks

Default Re: What Was the Last Book You Read?

I'm rereading Haunted by Kelley Armstrong. There's a couple of books in the Otherworld series that I haven't read and bought a while back, and I feel the need to read everything in order, so I'm up to book 5 now.

Senior Member inlovewithjournals's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
    85AKbN posted a thread asking for your recent movie viewings, but I'd rather know what you've been reading! Let us know the last book you finished and whether or not you would recommend it.

The last book I finished was Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which is one of the last Murakami books I still had to read. I thought it was an excellent read is definitely in my top 3 favorite Murakami books.

Next I'm going to pick up The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon which I hear is supposed to be excellent.
    Cookies have you read The Shadow of the Wind yet? It's fabulous. I was disappointed with The Angel's Game; The Midnight Palace was much better. I have not yet read The Prisoner of Heaven or The Watcher in the Shadows; both are supposed to be great.
    Check out my blog: http://inlovewithjournals.wordpress.com/

The perfect place for a writer is in the hideous roar of a city, with men making a new road under his window in competition with a barrel organ, and on the mat a man waiting for the rent. - Henry Vollam Morton

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    Just finished Doctor Sleep by Stephen King. Reading an older Dean Koontz book now, and listening to Donna Tartt's Goldfinch. A very unusual but good book so far.
    Tracy Lee Doctor Sleep and Goldfinch are in my To Read pile. Can't wait!

The perfect place for a writer is in the hideous roar of a city, with men making a new road under his window in competition with a barrel organ, and on the mat a man waiting for the rent. - Henry Vollam Morton

Thanks

Just stared Blindness by José Saramago. Excellent so far.
    Cookies I can't stop quoting you it seems. I adored Blindness! I found it so amazing that Saramago makes the reader feel blind as well with his deliberate omission of people's names and punctuation marks. The reader does not have the familiar touchposts that usually help in creating atmosphere and place, and is just as blind as the characters he/she is reading about. Have you read anything else by him? I have not but hope to.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inlovewithjournals For This Useful Post:

Xina (February 20th, 2015)

Thanks

I guess I'd better say what I've just finished: Bellman and Black: A Ghost Story by Diane Setterfield. I really enjoyed her The Thirteenth Tale and Bellman has been getting some rough reviews but I liked it. It does not compare to Thirteenth Tale by any stretch but is still worthwhile.

Currently reading S. by Doug Dorst, conceived by J.J. Abrams. Very interesting read.

Thanks

The Great Gatesby

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marvinjordan View Post
    The Great Gatesby
    First time through, or reading it again? As a teenaged student, I loathed it & thought it completely irrelevant and dull. Thirty years of life experience have given me an appreciation for it as a teacher.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inlovewithjournals View Post
    85AKbN posted a thread asking for your recent movie viewings, but I'd rather know what you've been reading! Let us know the last book you finished and whether or not you would recommend it.

The last book I finished was Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World which is one of the last Murakami books I still had to read. I thought it was an excellent read is definitely in my top 3 favorite Murakami books.

Next I'm going to pick up The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon which I hear is supposed to be excellent.
    Cookies have you read The Shadow of the Wind yet? It's fabulous. I was disappointed with The Angel's Game; The Midnight Palace was much better. I have not yet read The Prisoner of Heaven or The Watcher in the Shadows; both are supposed to be great.

Yes, I finished The Shadow of the Wind and it was fantastic! I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but the Kindle edition of The Prisoner of Heaven is only $1.99 on Amazon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inlovewithjournals View Post
    Just stared Blindness by José Saramago. Excellent so far.
    Cookies I can't stop quoting you it seems. I adored Blindness! I found it so amazing that Saramago makes the reader feel blind as well with his deliberate omission of people's names and punctuation marks. The reader does not have the familiar touchposts that usually help in creating atmosphere and place, and is just as blind as the characters he/she is reading about. Have you read anything else by him? I have not but hope to.
    I have not read anything else by him. I actually haven't even finished the book yet, I received a shipment of a half dozen books I bought used and I got caught up in the lot of them.

Thanks

Blood, sweat and tea by Tom Reynolds. It's a book that has been transfered from a blog of a London Paramedic. Really enjoyed it and quite funny. It also helps that it was either free or very cheap on Amazon kindle!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Wandering around in Heaney's Beowulf again...

Thanks

My January Reads list includes:

* Hunted by Kevin Hearne (I like the Iron Druid series a lot)
    * All three of the "Divergent" novels by Veronica Roth. (Meh.)
    * The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Blech.)
    * Super Mario by Jeff Ryan (Interesting read if you're into the history of video games.)
    * The Atlantis Gene by A.G. Riddle (In desperate need of a good editor.)
    * The Happiness Show by Catherine Deveny (I'm working on the audiobook of this one as an engineer, so I'm "reading" it not by choice. Romance novels are not normally my thing.)
    * Re-read Tom Sawyer Detective by Mark Twain, as I'm narrating an audiobook version that will be coming out in April.

I'm currently in the Middle of
    * Storm Front by Jim Butcher
    * A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore.

I've got a goal of listening to a minimum of 30 audiobooks this year, and actually reading 12 books (I so rarely have time to read anymore, so most of my reading gets done in the car or walking the dog.)

Thanks

Just finished The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion

Thanks

Just finished "A Peace to End All Peace" by David Fromkin. Long and involved but I really enjoyed it.

Currently finishing up "A Portable Dorothy Parker". From the introduction, I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it is. But then, I do enjoy smarta## women. Hell, I married one.
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

In honor of aquiring some Edgar Rice Burroughs stamps, I found Tarzan in the public sector free reads on my Kindle; starting that. Imagine, most of these stories are arond 100 years old now...

Thanks

The History of Magick. by Eliphas Levi. just amazing

Thanks

Just finished Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda. Havent decided what to start next

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DrChumley View Post
    My January Reads list includes:

* Hunted by Kevin Hearne (I like the Iron Druid series a lot)
    * All three of the "Divergent" novels by Veronica Roth. (Meh.)
    * The Maze Runner by James Dashner (Blech.)
    * Super Mario by Jeff Ryan (Interesting read if you're into the history of video games.)
    * The Atlantis Gene by A.G. Riddle (In desperate need of a good editor.)
    * The Happiness Show by Catherine Deveny (I'm working on the audiobook of this one as an engineer, so I'm "reading" it not by choice. Romance novels are not normally my thing.)
    * Re-read Tom Sawyer Detective by Mark Twain, as I'm narrating an audiobook version that will be coming out in April.

I'm currently in the Middle of
    * Storm Front by Jim Butcher
    * A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore.

I've got a goal of listening to a minimum of 30 audiobooks this year, and actually reading 12 books (I so rarely have time to read anymore, so most of my reading gets done in the car or walking the dog.)
    I'm also reading The Atlantis Gene, not sure I like it, but still reading it. I've read everything by Christopher Moore. He makes me laugh out loud, so have to be careful where I read his books. I'm also re-reading Treasure Island, and taking a first look at the Lord of The Rings (don't know how I missed them all these years).

Thanks

Just received a notice from Amazon this morning, Christopher Moore has a new book coming out in April --- "The Serpent of Venice." Kindle edition $14.44! I guess Mr. Moore is mainstream now.

Thanks

Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. After again sustaining my membership in the eating your words institute by using an e-reader to read this, I am hooked (I often replied to polls stating hell would freeze over before I chose an e-reader over a paperback). I was gifted a Kindle 2 International (with free internet!) with many books on it, including DS in archive, which I quickly downloaded in a few seconds. Many will underestimate the search this book feature of an e-reader. Very powerful. e.g. I came upon Part Two. If I was reading a paperback, or hardcover, I would immediately flip to see what Part One was. With the Kindle, it took seconds: menu | search this book | type part one | first hit nailed it. I even searched / refreshed my mind concerning plot points with equal success.

DS was a joy to read and SK is back with his A game. I started with SK's powerhouses: The Shining (TSh) and The Stand (TSt), many years ago (TSt was a hard cover and thick!, TSh, a paperback). DS reminds me of TSt, and TSh, and Carrie - vintage SK, which is a good thing, imho. 4.8 out of 5 stars.