Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 2060686970
Results 1,381 to 1,399 of 1399

Thread: What Was the Last Book You Read?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 355 Posts

Default Re: What Was the Last Book You Read?

Deb, ….yep , classical insofar as it was the milieu he was 'in' , but what struck me the most was / is , that he lays out in no uncertain terms the breadth of experience an architect should have in order to deeply understand the many layers of requisites that a finished building must have in order that it be sound and long lasting …as well as aesthetically pleasing, economically viable and interestingly 'healthful' ( I love that )
    In my not that small experience, architects have lost a lot of the fundamentals he talks about….and in the worst case ..which seems to happen nowdays , does a watercolour sketch of some crazy design and fires it off to a slew of various trades , saying make this work 🤣🙄, and then gets ALL the kudos for it !
    Ok , that may be exaggerating…but I’ve worked on sites where one wonders what the hell the architect was thinking because stuff is impractical or disfunctional to an extreme. ……( I have stories !!!)
    Last edited by Robalone; December 25th, 2023 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks

Mrs. Niner tells me that I tend to read very serious books. Well, I am currently plowing through all of Sherlock Holmes. That'll show her!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (December 25th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robalone View Post
    Deb, ….yep , classical insofar as it was the milieu he was 'in' , but what struck me the most was / is , that he lays out in no uncertain terms the breadth of experience an architect should have in order to deeply understand the many layers of requisites that a finished building must have in order that it be sound and long lasting …as well as aesthetically pleasing, economically viable and interestingly 'healthful' ( I love that )
    In my not that small experience, architects have lost a lot of the fundamentals he talks about….and in the worst case ..which seems to happen nowdays , does a watercolour sketch of some crazy design and fires it off to a slew of various trades , saying make this work 🤣🙄, and then gets ALL the kudos for it !
    Ok , that may be exaggerating…but I’ve worked on sites where one wonders what the hell the architect was thinking because stuff is impractical or disfunctional to an extreme. ……( I have stories !!!)
    You obviously have more practical experience than I do. I take your point.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

The Way of the Bear by Anne Hillerman, Mudd in Your Eye (Star Trek Original Series novel) by Jerry Oltien.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 27th, 2023)

Thanks

The Shaman's Path to Freedom, by Don Jose Ruiz. The book elaborates on the Four Agreements: Use words impeccably, Don't take anything personally, Ask instead of making assumptions, and Always do your best.

Photo Therapy: Motivation and Wisdom, by Rick Sammon. Photography as therapy.

The Sedona Method, by Hale Dwoskin.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (December 28th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

I just finished The Napoleon of Notting Hill, by G.K. Chesterton. In a way, it reminds me of another book of his, The Man Who Was Thursday, although the actual plot is quite different. Both appear to be rather metaphysical (though action filled) musings on finding purpose in life. Chesterton is an author I quite like for finding convincing ways to state things of which, in the end, I am not convinced. But the quotation of his which I've put in my signature is one that I do find meaningful.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 16th, 2024)

Thanks

Remarkably Bright Creatures, a heartwarming novel about a lady's friendship with an octopus.

The Fifth Agreement, by Don Miguel Ruiz and Don Jose Ruiz. This sequel to The Four Agreements teaches us how to how to recover the authenticity and truth we lived before society reined us in, and how each one of us can make our world a loving place free from conflict. Be skeptical of what we hear and listen for the truth. Our world would be a better place if everyone practiced the Four Agreements: Be impeccable with your word, It isn't personal, Ask instead of assuming, and Always do your best - and the Fifth Agreement.

A Workbook for the Fifth Agreement.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 18th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Remarkably Bright Creatures, a heartwarming novel about a lady's friendship with an octopus.

The Fifth Agreement, by Don Miguel Ruiz and Don Jose Ruiz. This sequel to The Four Agreements teaches us how to how to recover the authenticity and truth we lived before society reined us in, and how each one of us can make our world a loving place free from conflict. Be skeptical of what we hear and listen for the truth. Our world would be a better place if everyone practiced the Four Agreements: Be impeccable with your word, It isn't personal, Ask instead of assuming, and Always do your best - and the Fifth Agreement.

There's a fantastic documentary on Netflix, My Octopus Teacher you might want to check it out
    Last edited by Yazeh; January 18th, 2024 at 07:55 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 20th, 2024), Lady Onogaro (February 8th, 2024)

Thanks

Mistborn: The Final Empire is one of the best fantasy books I have ever read and write some review with help https://enhelp.org/blog/literature-review It has a unique and fascinating magic system, a compelling plot, and a rich world-building. The characters are well-developed and likable, especially Vin, the main protagonist, who undergoes a remarkable transformation from a timid street urchin to a powerful Mistborn. The book is full of twists and surprises, and the ending is satisfying and unexpected. I highly recommend this book to anyone who loves fantasy, action, and intrigue. It is the first book in a trilogy, and I can't wait to read the next ones.
    Last edited by Kobaken; February 23rd, 2024 at 05:24 AM.

Thanks

Just finished The Life of Pi, by Yann Martel. I had started it some years ago, about the time that the movie came out (never saw the movie). The book put me off for some reason, and I stopped less than a quarter of the way through, well before the main part of the story. All I really knew about that was the image of the boy standing on the lifeboat with the tiger. Didn't read any spoilers.

I started again from the beginning, and made it all the way through, this time. I rather liked it as a story, although I would be at odds with what I take to be its philosophical stance. But there's no point in arguing that here.
    G.K. Chesterton

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 29th, 2024)

Thanks

Heinlein's The Sixth's Column. There were things I didn't like about it, but I enjoyed its casual mention of fountain pens: "A priest in a long robe and a flowing beard doesn't whip out a check book and a fountain pen; it's out of character."
    Last edited by Niner; February 2nd, 2024 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Niner For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

" Short History of Byzantium" by John Julius Norwich.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Motomachi10 For This Useful Post:

Deb (February 1st, 2024), Robalone (February 6th, 2024)

Thanks

I just read an Ebook (thanks for the freebie, Project Gutenberg) edition of True History, by Lucian of Samosata, a Syrian author of the second century A.D. It's a series of tall stories about a sea voyage, which the author assures us at the beginning is nothing but lies. It was apparently never finished.

I'd never heard of this writer before yesterday. I was going through a book on Aubrey Beardsley by Robert Ross, which includes some 85 of Beardsley's drawings. Three of these were for the True History. so I looked it up, then downloaded it.

The Ebook edition of Lucian has a number of illustrations, two by Beardsley, and more by J.B. Clark and William Strang. Two of the ones in Ross's book are noted as having been "suppressed".

An interesting (to me) example of how one thing leads to another.

My copy of Ross's book, by the way, is a hardcover edition that was printed in 1967; the original was published in 1909. I can't find out much about Ross himself, except that he was a friend of Beardsley's who moved in the same social circles. This is one of a number of art books that inherited from my parents, but I had never given it more than a brief glance before. I recall that my mother had an edition of Le Morte d'Arthur with Beardsley's illustrations, but she gave that away some years ago to a friend. From what Ross says, that was not actually the artist's favorite work, but I liked it. A book of just his illustrations from that work is available separately, and I've ordered a used copy of that, since I already have a different edition of Thomas Mallory.
    G.K. Chesterton

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Deb (February 7th, 2024), Robalone (February 6th, 2024), Yazeh (February 7th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,927 Times in 842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    I just read an Ebook (thanks for the freebie, Project Gutenberg) edition of True History, by Lucian of Samosata, a Syrian author of the second century A.D. It's a series of tall stories about a sea voyage, which the author assures us at the beginning is nothing but lies. It was apparently never finished.

I'd never heard of this writer before yesterday. I was going through a book on Aubrey Beardsley by Robert Ross, which includes some 85 of Beardsley's drawings. Three of these were for the True History. so I looked it up, then downloaded it.

The Ebook edition of Lucian has a number of illustrations, two by Beardsley, and more by J.B. Clark and William Strang. Two of the ones in Ross's book are noted as having been "suppressed".

An interesting (to me) example of how one thing leads to another.

My copy of Ross's book, by the way, is a hardcover edition that was printed in 1967; the original was published in 1909. I can't find out much about Ross himself, except that he was a friend of Beardsley's who moved in the same social circles. This is one of a number of art books that inherited from my parents, but I had never given it more than a brief glance before. I recall that my mother had an edition of Le Morte d'Arthur with Beardsley's illustrations, but she gave that away some years ago to a friend. From what Ross says, that was not actually the artist's favorite work, but I liked it. A book of just his illustrations from that work is available separately, and I've ordered a used copy of that, since I already have a different edition of Thomas Mallory.
    Beardsley is a fascinating artist. I have the Malory edition that you mention, or rather a reprint from the eighties. Ross had a close relationship with Oscar Wilde.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Deb For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (February 9th, 2024)

Thanks

Thank you Yazeh. Didn't see this till now - was in Paris, no Octopuses in the Seine. Will check it out.
    Bob

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

I, Mona Lisa - by Natasha Solomon. The subject of the world's most famous painting tells her own story in this fact-based historical novel.

I'm glad I inadvertently left Murder on the Isle Saint-Louis on the airplane, because the quest for a replacement led me to visit Shakespeare & Company in Paris, where the book called out to me as I looked for something to read on my flight back from Paris.

Thankfully there wasn't a line yet when the store first opened. While I didn't visit any exhibits in the Louvre this trip, I did spend a pleasant evening in the courtyard. And I was gratified to see staff at Café Marly eject a young man who tried to lunge through the restaurant whilst holding a selfie stick in front of himself.

Shakespeare-&-Co.jpgPyramid-du-Louvre.jpg
    Bob

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Just finished Falling into Grace: Insights on the End of Suffering, by Adyashanti (2013). Stunning. A book on spiritual awakening that is mostly Buddhist in flavor, but also with a dose of Jesus-based mysticism. Very accessible read.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post

I'm a big fan of the Ruiz (father and sons) books. I've read at least four, and done the workbook. Those books fell into my lap at just the right time, as sometimes seems to happen. Or maybe it is that I just got "ready" and open.

Thanks

The Riddle of the Sands, by Erskine Childers. Published in 1903, it's a political tract masquerading as a spy novel. The author was talented, but the modern reader should be warned that the book is very 1903 in a number of ways.