Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758
Results 1,141 to 1,152 of 1152

Thread: What Was the Last Book You Read?

Thanks

Default Re: What Was the Last Book You Read?

Finally finished the complete collection of Ayn Rand;

We the Living
    The Fountainhead
    Atlas Shrugged

Thoroughly loved every one of them for their own reasons. Feels almost like superhero books from a century ago with philosophy sprinkled in (The Fountainhead's Roarke and Atlas Shrugged's Rearden / John Galt feel like modern day Batman or something to me). This mammoth of a book, nearly 5000 pages long, took me quite a while, but it's been great.

I also finished War of the Worlds. What a genius book, especially if you consider the time when it was written. Devoured it in two days on holiday and I can only recommend it. Loved it!

Now I'm nearly finished with East of Eden. Not my cup of tea, have to be honest, I'm not really interested in personal relationships. But I can easily see why people love it. It's the closest thing to a song that is not a song. The writer is a master of words!

Thanks

The Guest List by Lucy Foley, a British thriller writer, I could not recommend it highly enough, so atmospheric and beautifully written. Love the sub title, The Guest List, you would kill to be on it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Boston Brian For This Useful Post:

guyy (August 28th, 2021)

Thanks

The World Gives Way by Marissa Levien. A post-apocalyptic novel set in a massive starship launched from the dying earth, that starts to crack and fail enroute. The focus is on a few characters, with narrow escapes and heaps of suspense. The ending is not happy, but is beautifully done.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chip For This Useful Post:

guyy (August 28th, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 949 Posts

Coincidentally, I just finished reading This is the way the world ends by James Morrow. Going to add your book to my list as it looks very interesting.

Now starting on Killing Commendatore by Haruki Marakami - I've read almost everything else by him!

Thanks

I'm wrapping up with Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. The only reason I picked up this mammoth collection of 5 volumes containing dozens of books was because, amongst the reviewers, praising it were Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. My love for Tolstoy is great, and when he says a book is masterful, I had to read it.

The book is miserable, but also one of the best things I have ever read, and probably ever will read. It's written for the common person, but the genius of Victor Hugo is too much to be masked. Unbelievable read and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    I'm wrapping up with Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. The only reason I picked up this mammoth collection of 5 volumes containing dozens of books was because, amongst the reviewers, praising it were Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. My love for Tolstoy is great, and when he says a book is masterful, I had to read it.

The book is miserable, but also one of the best things I have ever read, and probably ever will read. It's written for the common person, but the genius of Victor Hugo is too much to be masked. Unbelievable read and I highly recommend it to anyone.
    I enjoyed reading this, but I agree about how it was written.

Thanks

Just finished “what does this button do” an autobiography by Bruce Dickinson.

Known for being lead singer and front man of heavy metal band Iron Maiden.

Not so known for being a composer next to performer, an author of two novels, a UK national level fencer, a fully licensed commercial airline pilot with qualifications from 757 to 747, and, perhaps most important, a fighter and triumphant of two types of cancer.

Very interesting homo universalis of sorts. A person with a variety of natural gifts who shows that having those gifts alone doesn’t cut it - discipline, perseverance and not giving up does.

Well, all that and being part of a band that was pivotal in my musical formative years of early adolescence - i still listen to them very frequently some four decades later.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,006 Times in 949 Posts

Just finished Killing Commendatore. Typical Murakami fare, which is fine by me!

Next up on the bedside table is A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge. I am at heart a massive sci-fi fan, especially if it is character centric.

Thanks

Right Ho Jeeves, PG Wodehouse.

Beautifully written.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 620 Posts

The last book I read is called: "le plancher de Joachim" and is a french history book (which means: Joachim's planks)

The book is about a sensational find in the French department "Hautes-Alpes". During restoration works in a castle (Chateau de Picomtal), writings were discovered on the underside of floor planks. After closer examination, it turned out that the writings were a kind of diary of the carpenter who built the floor about 150 years ago.

The writer, a carpenter named Joachim Martin was aware that his writings would not be discovered in his lifetime. He did not mince words about politics, religion and life in the village. But also very personal and intimate things he brought to paper, ....ahem wood!

Unfortunately, the book has not yet been translated into other languages, and is a challenging read. So reading this book took me a bit of time. Still, it was worth every minute.

PS: The writings on the bottom of the wooden planks were written in pencil...
    Last edited by christof; September 23rd, 2021 at 10:02 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

guyy (September 23rd, 2021), Lloyd (September 24th, 2021)

Thanks

Thanks for the write-up Christof. 150 years ago means around the time of the Franco-Prussian war and the Paris Commune, an interesting time. I will have to hunt down a copy on this side of the ocean.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to guyy For This Useful Post:

christof (September 23rd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 620 Posts

I could send you my copy if you want. Just let me know.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

guyy (September 24th, 2021)