Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pelikan 120?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Pelikan 120?

So I just received my first Pelikan. I got it for what I think is a good price. $56 USD shipped. It arrived today. Looking at some of the Pelikan pictures, I think I got a 140 with a 120 cap. The reason being that it has the green striped body. Did a 120 come in a green stripe barrel? The cap band has quite a bit of brassing so I can barely make out the "120". I'll have to verify when I get home so I can check it with my loupe. I am trying to upload some pictures right now but my mobile network is not cooperating. I'll get them up later tonight. The nib is very flexy. I mean the slightest pressure will make it flex. It is also a very wet pen. I have this scratch paper that I thought it pretty fountain pen safe and it is spreading Waterman Florida Blue and spidering like no body's business. The nib is a fine too!

It is not a bad pen. I was worried about the small size but the diameter is just right. With the cap posted it is a perfect size. The nib is also very smooth. The seller said it was badly out of alignment but I think they were just flexing the nib while writing. Like I said, I don't have my loupe but the tines seem pretty straight from what I can tell. The nib does seem to "sing" a little bit as it is going accross the page. It squeeks here and there. Is that an alignment symptom? I have never had a squeeky nib before.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

KI, interesting pen, the green stripe barrel makes me think of those boiled lollies that look like little pillows in bottles from Darrell Lee(?)
    I think the cap sort of detracts from it. The black dome on the end of the cap goes with the ends of the barrel but I feel the main part of the cap would look better if it was green striped like the barrel. The pen itself appears nicely proportioned and is not doubt a handsome addition to your collection.

Does it still squeek ? Have you tried it on other types of paper.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    KI, interesting pen, the green stripe barrel makes me think of those boiled lollies that look like little pillows in bottles from Darrell Lee(?)
    I think the cap sort of detracts from it. The black dome on the end of the cap goes with the ends of the barrel but I feel the main part of the cap would look better if it was green striped like the barrel. The pen itself appears nicely proportioned and is not doubt a handsome addition to your collection.

Does it still squeek ? Have you tried it on other types of paper.
    It does still squeek. I have not adjusted the nib yet. I did find the 14k gold markings on the nib so that explains the flexy nib. I was able to get some good flex witing practice today. It was a slow day at work. I still think this is a 140.

I know the candy you are talking about and yes it does look a bit like those. The pen is relatively small but well balanced with the cap on although I was using it most of the day unposted. Going to check tine alingment now that I'm home.

Thanks

I think I found out why the nib squeaks. It is one of three things.

It is an oblique nib and I have been using it wrong.
    It has a bit of the left tine tipping material missing.
    Someone practiced nib grinding on this and got it wrong.

My loupe is a 10X and I thought it was pretty good but this thing just seems so small that I can't tell if it is purposely cut at an oblique angle because the difference is so small. If it was not, and the tipping broke, someone polished up the broken tipping or it was just used like that and eventually over time just polished up from use on the paper because it is shiny and it is very smooth. I am not familiar with Pelikan nibs so I am not sure how the tipping on a new nib would look. This looks very angular cut like a cursive italic or almost a crisp italic. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    It does still squeek. I have not adjusted the nib yet. I did find the 14k gold markings on the nib so that explains the flexy nib. I was able to get some good flex witing practice today. It was a slow day at work. I still think this is a 140.

I know the candy you are talking about and yes it does look a bit like those. The pen is relatively small but well balanced with the cap on although I was using it most of the day unposted. Going to check tine alingment now that I'm home.
    Will you be trying to rectifiy it with a bit of nib grinding ? Or could you just replace the nib Lamy style ?

Unlike my Lamy's I've found that the Vacumatic is more comfortable and balanced when writing posted with the cap. Without the cap I feel I'm gripping it too hard.

Thanks

Will you be trying to rectifiy it with a bit of nib grinding ? Or could you just replace the nib Lamy style ?

Unlike my Lamy's I've found that the Vacumatic is more comfortable and balanced when writing posted with the cap. Without the cap I feel I'm gripping it too hard.
    Well, it is really hard to tell. The nib writes fine with exception of the squeak. I might need to get a stronger loupe to comfortably grind it but I think I may just go ahead and try it myself. I finally got a somewhat decent shot. I should be able to just straighten out that crooked tipping. There is enough tipping to do it. I just don't want to do it if it is truly an oblique but I think it would have been labeled as such. I need to do a little more research on Pelikan nibs before I proceed. As a last alternative, there is also Greg Minusken . Wonder how much he charges to re-tip and make a crisp italic.

2012-04-10 20.14.20.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

2012-04-10 20.14.02.jpg by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Thanks

Received a reply back from Greg. $130 to make it into a 1.1 mm cursive italic. Since I emptied my pen fund I will need to wait until my bonus/promotion next month.

Thanks

Just confirmed the pen is a 140 with a 120 cap. I did not know there are markings on the barrel at the base of the piston nob. Says "Pelikan 140 Gunther Wagner Germany" clear as day. A bit of a franken pen I guess but still very pleasing. The cap is brassed so I may hunt for a 140 cap that is in better shape but really, I can live with the cap as it is.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; April 11th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks

Congrats on the bonus/promotion.

The photo really shows the right hand prong being slightly longer than the left and having a bit more of an angle on the tip.
    The split also seems to hit the hole markedly to the right rather than the centre or is that just the camera angle. ?

Thanks

Congrats on the bonus/promotion.

The photo really shows the right hand prong being slightly longer than the left and having a bit more of an angle on the tip.
    The split also seems to hit the hole markedly to the right rather than the centre or is that just the camera angle. ?
    Thanks bogon. I need to take a look at the nib again as I'm not sure about the breather hole being off center or not.

Thanks

I just watched a video of the 140 being used and the squeaking noise the pen makes seems to be normal, at least it is the same as in this video:
    http://youtu.be/FpNEIjRNI4Y

Thanks

My 140 squeaks just like the one in LaPlumeFuente's video. One of my tines is higher than the other one though. But maybe it comes with the pen?

Thanks

I have an all-black 140 with a KF (fine 'ball-point') nib and that squeaks on some papers, even though the tines are aligned correctly. Actually, it's quite pleasant and it is a very nice little pen to write with.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vp09 View Post
    My 140 squeaks just like the one in LaPlumeFuente's video. One of my tines is higher than the other one though. But maybe it comes with the pen?
    This seems to be normal for the pen then. I can live with the squeak.

Quote Originally Posted by The Good Captain View Post
    I have an all-black 140 with a KF (fine 'ball-point') nib and that squeaks on some papers, even though the tines are aligned correctly. Actually, it's quite pleasant and it is a very nice little pen to write with.
    The ballpoint too? Very odd indeed since that one is supposed to be the most forgiving nib as far as holding angle is concerned. The tines on mine are just so flexible that they move in and out of alignment with normal writing pressure. It is a bit hard for me to control but still fun to play around with.

goldiesdad

Great buy on the 140 Ivan ... I was waiting till the 15th to try and pick one up ... I am into flexy nib so this will sure be on my radar ...

I've seen you do some basic nib grinding so I would be interested in seeing if you are going to rub this one a little ...

Scott

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldiesdad View Post
    Great buy on the 140 Ivan ... I was waiting till the 15th to try and pick one up ... I am into flexy nib so this will sure be on my radar ...

I've seen you do some basic nib grinding so I would be interested in seeing if you are going to rub this one a little ...

Scott
    I have not graduated to gold nibs yet. I was thinking about it and may still try it. Maybe after I find a spare nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I have 5 120s from my great uncle. They all have cool stub nibs. Great pens. They are Mertz and Krell style, also. The green binde was only for the 140 400 400n 400nn and all the modern models.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I have 5 120s from my great uncle. They all have cool stub nibs. Great pens. They are Mertz and Krell style, also. The green binde was only for the 140 400 400n 400nn and all the modern models.
    Yes, I discovered that later on in my google searches.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I just watched a video of the 140 being used and the squeaking noise the pen makes seems to be normal, at least it is the same as in this video:
    http://youtu.be/FpNEIjRNI4Y
    I had two, and both squeaked. I kept least squeaky of the two. It gushed ink until I found ESSR Ink. Now it behaves. But still squeaks.