Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: With 2014 Rapidly Approaching Which pens are you planning on buying in the new year?

Thanks

Default Re: With 2014 Rapidly Approaching Which pens are you planning on buying in the new y

I've decided a want a nice cursive italic, but I can't decide which pen I want it on. I'm thinking a Decimo or something by Franklin-Christoph. But I also don't have an Edison yet, so maybe I'll have to pick up one. All this talk of the Italix is making me itch for one as well.

Thanks

Default Re: With 2014 Rapidly Approaching Which pens are you planning on buying in the new y

My only planned purchase is a replacement Edison Beaumont PN. I've finally, after the holidays, admitted to myself that I misplaced my tortoise lucite one.

But then I am firmly in the "Ooh, Shiny!" Camp. I just hope I have enough will power to act reasonably.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steph For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (January 1st, 2014), lisantica (January 2nd, 2014), Tracy Lee (December 31st, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Budget?
    Behave Reasonably?
    Really? You are better people than me.

Hmmm. I am trying to start off with a list, but I just never set a budget. I often just come across the new additions and it happens. Almost assuredly it will be something Italian that starts with a V or a D, and ends in a vowel. I have enough paper and journals to be set for ages, and I have promised myself to use the ink samples I have before buying more bottles. But I am 46 and I know who I am to my bones. These are very soft constraints. I might like another Edison, and the other two pens in the Cosmos Collection. To start. But we'll see. Weeeeeeeee'llllllllllllllll see.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (January 1st, 2014), caribbean_skye (January 1st, 2014), da vinci (January 1st, 2014), kaisnowbird (January 1st, 2014), lisantica (January 2nd, 2014), tiffanyhenschel (January 1st, 2014)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I am confused by the idea of a 'budget' for pens.
    Annie, I think in fountain pen speak a 'budget' is what one's conscience says one should have spent as against what one did spend - which is usually much more.

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Lee View Post
    Budget? Behave Reasonably? Really? You are better people than me.
    No way, not in the least - we are just trying to pretend we are ...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Sun Anvil (January 1st, 2014), Tracy Lee (December 31st, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    No specific pens planned for 2014. If something really exciting happens along then I'd consider it.
    What he said.........but both exciting & sumgai.

John

Thanks

Every time I look at Goulet's web site, I get tempted to get another Konrad, the "Emeralds in the Sun" pattern.

I don't need to blow another $40 smackers right now....

oooh shiny....
    Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    Budget? Behave Reasonably? Really? You are better people than me.
    No way, not in the least - we are just trying to pretend we are ...
    The way I see it -- a generous budget is easier to stick to, which foster the feeling of behaving reasonably.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (January 1st, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Kai--that is a true Master Plan. You are the Architect of Pen Purchasing, hands down!

For my own part, I am scheming and plotting the acquisiton of a:

"Pretty Darned Good" Dip Pen for Italic practice.

Nakaya Decapod in Brown-Green [Twist version or regular still to be determined.]

Platinum Makie-e King of Tigers.

All nibs to be determined while I learn more and save up.

This will blow any semblance of budget I may have for the year, and stretch into 2015.

But 2014 will be the Year of Choosing Few and Choosing Well!
    You flatter me...

Your plan of the Nakaya Decapod (a grail pen for me) and Platinum Maki-e Tigers easily surpass all my planned purchases combined. My obsessive need for something new monthly prevents me from living up to your "choosing few and choosing well" goal, at least not to such a level.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

This one is on it's way from Mr. Nussbaum from isellpens.

http://www.isellpens.com/product_p/npc-nick-bv.htm

Other than that, I still want a LAMY Studio and always on the look out for an Esterbrook $1.50 pen, In the end and sadly, my budget will dictate.
    "My God—it's full of stars!"......Bowman's last words before entering the Monolith.
    Arthur C. Clarke - 2001 (the book)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I thought I had no plans for pen purchases, but I just remembered that Namiki Falcons (plastic) are available with silver trim. Hrm.

Also, I am thinking about a Nakaya. (How boring! I know.) Probably not, but, you know how it is.

And then there's the Pen Show Poland in April.

I will buy at least one more Tomoe River notebook, though, planning to order one within a week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Budget?
    Behave Reasonably?
    Really? You are better people than me.

Hmmm. I am trying to start off with a list, but I just never set a budget. I often just come across the new additions and it happens. Almost assuredly it will be something Italian that starts with a V or a D, and ends in a vowel. I have enough paper and journals to be set for ages, and I have promised myself to use the ink samples I have before buying more bottles. But I am 46 and I know who I am to my bones. These are very soft constraints. I might like another Edison, and the other two pens in the Cosmos Collection. To start. But we'll see. Weeeeeeeee'llllllllllllllll see.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4
    Yes I think you desperately need to get those other two Visconti Cosmos Collection pens the stylish Black Stardust and the lustrous Purple Nebula.

Budget...ha it really only applies to justify not buying stuff you don't want to get.

In the best Australian Government accounting both the D & V purchases on the last two days of December have allocated to 2014 as that is when they and the credit card statement should turn up.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (January 1st, 2014)

Thanks

I'm going to try not to buy any new pens until the summer, at least, but if I find any MB 132, 139, 235 in good condition and in my price range then I will go for it.
    Less is More. - Mies van der Rohe/Less is a Bore. - Robert Venturi

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    Also how much are you planing on budgeting for the new year?

Bit random I know but it would be interesting to know just in case there are some pens out there I have overlooked.
    'Plan?' 'Budget?'

Naaah. It goes like this:

"Oooooooo, shinnnnyyyyyyy!"
    It becomes clearer and clearer that you and I were twins separated at birth.

T

Thanks
    Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,754 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scrivelry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    Also how much are you planing on budgeting for the new year?

Bit random I know but it would be interesting to know just in case there are some pens out there I have overlooked.
    'Plan?' 'Budget?'

Naaah. It goes like this:

"Oooooooo, shinnnnyyyyyyy!"
    It becomes clearer and clearer that you and I were twins separated at birth.

T

Heeeeee.

And just when I was looking at my collection and thinking, "I have too many," I had to go and order a clear Waterman Kultur. One of which I had donated years ago.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD