Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: TWSBI Classic ! (?)

Thanks

Default Re: TWSBI Classic ! (?)

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    I just put my Twsbi Classic in the mail back to Twsbi. I have persistent seeping just beneath the ink window and it will either be repaired or replaced. Great customer service, wish it wasn't necessary.
    That was the problem with mine, too. Phillip (of TWSBI) stated via email that he had no idea how it could happen and he could not get my pen to weep/leak after he received it. To me, TWSBI's claimed bafflement was almost more troubling than the leaking.

I would have accepted his offer for a refund, but the pen was a gift so I accepted a replacement. I hope this isn't yet another case of a TWSBI with an Achilles' Heel.

By the way, I agree that TWSBI is quite responsive to their customers...But the best customer service is selling a good product - and TWSBI has not yet mastered that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
    I just put my Twsbi Classic in the mail back to Twsbi. I have persistent seeping just beneath the ink window and it will either be repaired or replaced. Great customer service, wish it wasn't necessary.
    That was the problem with mine, too. Phillip (of TWSBI) stated via email that he had no idea how it could happen and he could not get my pen to weep/leak after he received it. To me, TWSBI's claimed bafflement was almost more troubling than the leaking.

I would have accepted his offer for a refund, but the pen was a gift so I accepted a replacement. I hope this isn't yet another case of a TWSBI with an Achilles' Heel.

By the way, I agree that TWSBI is quite responsive to their customers...But the best customer service is selling a good product - and TWSBI has not yet mastered that.
    I was afraid I might hear that but something is not right. My son's has the same problem and he will be sending his back.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

3. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (January 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Am I the only one satisfied with the pen?
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

I love, love, love my classic. As far as the posting, there are some that post some that don't. I don't post.

Thanks

I only post playing basketball.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oncdoc View Post
    Am I the only one satisfied with the pen?
    No. That's the problem. I really like this pen a lot. But if it doesn't work, it does't work. I am very much hoping they can make it right.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Koyote View Post

I was afraid I might hear that but something is not right. My son's has the same problem and he will be sending his back.
    Now I wish I had taken the refund. This sounds like another of TWSBI's QC disasters.

My 540 cracked after a year's use, and the (promptly shipped) replacement part didn't fit the rest of the pen, so I chucked it all in the trash. I don't give a damn about great customer service if it means that I am constantly going to the Post Office and fiddling with broken pens. Why should I screw around with such trash when my 28+ year old Sheaffer Targa still works just fine?

Sorry to sound so PO'd, but it irks me that my pen failed after two days of light use, and now it is starting to sound like a design defect.

Thanks

Yikes. I've recently purchased the mini, classic and 580. Darn impulse buys. But they look so good!
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oncdoc View Post
    Yikes. I've recently purchased the mini, classic and 580. Darn impulse buys. But they look so good!
    I have a 580, no problems with mine, so hopefully at least one will work

Thanks

So far mini, classic, and 580 are all outstanding.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

On the posting issue. I don't have a preference one way or the other. It really depends on the specific pen. With the classic, I find that the metal piston turning blind cap sits perfectly on the large knuckle of my index finger. With it being the heaviest component, I find that it makes a really nice anchor point that lends a fluency (of motion, not ink) to my writing that I don't get with any of my other pens, which include several Lamys, Sheaffers, Noodler's, Parkers and Pilots.

I think the controversy with this pen has to do with TWSBI's approach. They haven't taken an "all pens to all people" approach. By consequence of that, it's a much better fit to the people who enjoy it than a pen that's meant to appeal to everyone. Ultimately, a lot of the complaints about this pen are about the exact qualities of it that most appeal to me. Plus, the fine nib on my classic is absurdly smooth, and in two months of daily use, I have not had so much as a single hard start (I'm using Noodler's Red Black in it; a nice match to the colour of the pen).

As for the quality control issues, I haven't had a problem. The build quality seems excellent to me; it's certainly better than my safari in that regard (nothing wrong with the Safari BTW, it's a great pen too). The large step down to the section is, in my opinion, just a fiction. What the pen actually features is many incremental, tiny steps from the barrel to the section and is actually a benefit of this pen's design. The octagonal body, in addition to being an effective roll-stop, provides subtle feedback concerning the angle of the pen in the user's hand.

All and all, if you are not insistent on posting, and want a perfectly balanced, fluent high quality inexpensive writer, I would recommend this pen wholeheartedly.