Thread: Vintage Pelikan medium nib...

Thanks

Default Vintage Pelikan medium nib...

I'm used to German fine nibs, specifically Lamy 2000 and Al-Star fine nibs. Would a vintage 100N medium be too thick? I know how subjective that sounds, asking some random person what I would like. Interested in your opinions though. I do not want to stray too far from the line thickness of the Lamy fine right now.

Thanks

Default Re: Vintage Pelikan medium nib...

Size varies from brand to brand, and on top of that Vintage nibs tend to vary size a bit because they are finish by hand by a person. Not all Pelikan 100N M nibs will have the same thickness. I have had a vintage pelikan 100N nib BB Nib that was wider than an similar Pelikan 100N BBB.

They will vary a bit so it is very hard to give you a definitive opinion.

Best think is to try to buy a Pelikan 100N with a M nib to someone that is willing to swap that nib for a F or B and that way you will be able to fine tune your preference. I can help you on that if you need.

Best

Vasco

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piscov View Post
    Size varies from brand to brand, and on top of that Vintage nibs tend to vary size a bit because they are finish by hand by a person. Not all Pelikan 100N M nibs will have the same thickness. I have had a vintage pelikan 100N nib BB Nib that was wider than an similar Pelikan 100N BBB.

They will vary a bit so it is very hard to give you a definitive opinion.

Best think is to try to buy a Pelikan 100N with a M nib to someone that is willing to swap that nib for a F or B and that way you will be able to fine tune your preference. I can help you on that if you need.

Best

Vasco
    Thanks, good advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Rick from the Penguinpen would be my suggestion if you have really strict nib requirements. He's got everything, so tell him what you want or need and let him tell you what he has that will fit those needs.

But... I'd branch out. Try a BB, try a broad italic, try something wild and crazy and different cause there is a HUGE world out there beyond fine that is very, very fun!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

85AKbN (January 2nd, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Rick from the Penguinpen would be my suggestion if you have really strict nib requirements. He's got everything, so tell him what you want or need and let him tell you what he has that will fit those needs.

But... I'd branch out. Try a BB, try a broad italic, try something wild and crazy and different cause there is a HUGE world out there beyond fine that is very, very fun!
    You're absolutely right.

I've been checking out The PENguin.

Thanks

Isn't the Lamy 200 fine closer to a medium? Can you do some random scribbles and get an accurate line width measurement?

I have one vintage Pelikan M that writes between F and M (0.55 mm) , one that writes a solid B (0.8 mm), and a few that are pretty solid M's (0.6 mm).
    I also have a modern EF and a B that both write M. (Reference width definitions taken from Richard Binder's website.)

I second the suggestion for talking to Rick Propas, but it will help him if you have an actual measurement to give him.
    And even then the measurements are subjective, due to paper, pressure, ink, etc.

Your best option is to try it first.
    If you can't do that, I would focus on F instead if M.

Another problem with vintage pens is that there has been plenty of time for someone (s) to personalize a nib beyond normal manufacturing variations. This can be a pleasant surprise or a horrible disappointment.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

85AKbN (January 2nd, 2014)