Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camera Recommendations - Macro Use

Thanks

Default Re: Camera Recommendations - Macro Use

I know I've tried the steady hand method, but eventually found some success with a diy mono pod (ruler in one hand), or bi pod (two rulers), or stack some books and sit camera on top edge and pan downward.

Recently sold a camera:

Last edited by 85AKbN; February 16th, 2014 at 04:47 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Massaya View Post
    Hi, Reading all this, maybe a light box is my answer!!! I have a great camera with micro, but I am having a problem with lighting. Is a light box the answer or is there another.?
    Generous window light + a reflector is my recommendation. I don't understand the internet obsession with light boxes. I've had more than a few students ask about them but in all my years have never come across any legitimate source recommending them. I have no idea where it came from. For a reflector anything white (or silver) will do, like poster board or foam core. Or you can do what we pros do and pick up some collapsable sunshades (used for car windows) for a couple bucks at a drugstore.
    I generally use the method you describe for my blog photos. The problem is that I cannot find the sun's dimmer switch and someone keeps turning it off when I have time to take photos. Very annoying. That is my reason for wanting (and purchasing) a light box.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

My setup was made of an IKEA "JÄLL" laundry bag ($5)+ table lamps + Canon A650 pocket camera. And a tripod leftover from my photography heyday with film. And obviously on digital, I had the white balance calibrated beforehand, macro mode set, flash off, set it on timer, bla bla bla. Here it is:

Here is the unlit long exposure test shot. Notice the amount of ambient shadow, and that's the minimum shadow on a blank surface (as opposed to cloth).

Normal exposure, but too closely lit, hence the shadows. And after moving them further out...

Voila. Not too shabby I reckon.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (February 18th, 2014), trhall (February 18th, 2014)