Thread: Waterman Graduate

Thanks

Default Waterman Forum

Edit: OK so it is really a Waterman Forum. Thanks for the help!

So this is a Waterman Graduate. It was their bottom of the line pen somewhere around the late 70’s/80’s I think. It is a cartridge pen but does accept the Waterman converter (not included) but nothing else. It is made of plastic. The cap is snap on but it does post securely on the decoration on the end of the barrel. Of course when you do, it is a whopping 6 2/3 inches (169 mm) long. It is light enough that posting it does not hurt the balance much. The nib is steel without a breather hole. Overall, this pen is about what you would expect from a bottom of the line pen except for one thing. I got this one new in the box and the nib was absolutely butter smooth on the first try. I mean smooth enough that I actually said “Whoah!” out loud when I tried it. Another nice thing is that the nib is keyed into position on the feed and the feed is keyed to the section so there is no way to get things set up wrong. Just make sure that you remove the nib and feed together and only pull straight out with no rotation. I should also note that I decided to give this pen set to my nephew so I bought a Waterman rollerball refill and it did not fit in the ballpoint. At least I spent more on the ballpoint refill than I did on the pen set. But the converter was more than the ballpoint refill so in the end it was about a $20 pen. At that point it is still a value but I would not go much more than that.

Waterman Graduate Dimensions
    Code:
    Length Capped    138 mm  5.43 in.  4  7/16"
    Posted Length    169 mm  6.67 in.  6  2/3 "
    Unposted length  124 mm  4.89 in.  4  7/8 "
    Cap Length        51 mm  2.01 in.  2      "
    Section Length  16.0 mm   .63 in.     5/8 "
    Barrel Max Dia  11.0 mm   .43 in.     7/16"
    Section Min Dia  9.5 mm   .38 in.     3/8 "
    Note that there is a drop of water on the nib in the picture. It is not a defect.
    Cheap Waterman Set sm.jpgWaterman Capped.jpgWaterman Nib.jpgWaterman Keyways.jpgWaterman Nib+Fedd.jpg
    Last edited by Jeph; January 5th, 2014 at 07:43 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (January 5th, 2014), KrazyIvan (January 4th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,820 Times in 797 Posts

Default Re: Waterman Graduate

These are truly nice economical pens. I have a couple of these, bought a long time ago, but have them identified in my database as Waterman Forum. The pen I have identified as Waterman Graduate has a smooth metallic body.

Thanks

What a nice pen!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    These are truly nice economical pens. I have a couple of these, bought a long time ago, but have them identified in my database as Waterman Forum. The pen I have identified as Waterman Graduate has a smooth metallic body.
    Thanks for the clarification. I could not find much of anything when I looked in November when I got it and I did not bother to check the details again before posting. I changed the title but of course it does not really show up. I just wrote some with it again and it writes close to the same as my Pelikan M600. I have no idea if they are all this good or this one is just special. I do notice that you have to be very careful to make sure that the converter is absolutely seated or things can get messy. I filled the section with Diamine Red Dragon before I realized that it was not quite seated. At least that let me try Diamine Graphite and I like that color much more than I thought that I would. Bonus!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 5th, 2014)