Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Akkerman Inks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Default Akkerman Inks

Anyone have a retailer that sells Akkerman inks and ink to the US market?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

No. Akkerman only sells from their store, but there is one change: only within the last week or so did I see an announcement that they have launched a website. Bear in mind, this is a very old-school, family-run business, so it is still a work in progress. When I can find the page again I'll post a link. The shipping costs from Amsterdam are NOT cheap, BTW.

Thanks

Thanks. If you find that link I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Take a look at this thread.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Take a look at this thread.
    Thanks so much. I followed it and have purchased a bottle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Thanks so much. I followed it and have purchased a bottle.
    Excellent! Please post about it when you get it. I'll be frank: I have plenty of inks, but I'd really like one of those bottles! Could you say how much shipping was to the US? What would be TOTALLY cool would be to get a vintage bottle, but I've never found one:

Thanks

About 18 euros. The whole deal was 62 euros, almost 48 dollars. Very extravagant but I too wanted to check this out, especially the bottle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Ouch.

Ouch!

Thanks

About 18 euros. The whole deal was 62 euros, almost 48 dollars. Very extravagant but I too wanted to check this out, especially the bottle.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    With all due respect, €62.00 would be about US$81, not the $48.00 you mention (as of 17 April 2012) which puts it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range, no matter how much I'd like that ink and bottle.

Thanks

Indeed. At those prices, my colored liquid in a glass bottle will be a nice cabernet - wine, not ink, thankyouverymuch!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Indeed. At those prices, my colored liquid in a glass bottle will be a nice cabernet - wine, not ink, thankyouverymuch!
    Jon, you could use a dip pen in a merlot while your enjoying a glass.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    With all due respect, €62.00 would be about US$81, not the $48.00 you mention (as of 17 April 2012) which puts it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out of my price range, no matter how much I'd like that ink and bottle.
    I was never very good with numbers. Bottom line, the credit card transaction/translation =$46.50 to be exact.

Thanks

I was never very good with numbers. Bottom line, the credit card transaction/translation =$46.50 to be exact.
    Huh. Well, maybe this falls in the sumgai category!

Thanks

I found this review, http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/ink/akkerman.htm, and as much as I love that bottle, the ink itself seems to have issues. For the price being asked and with the issues mentioned, purchasing this ink just becomes a non-starter for me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Loving all this good info. Trying to focus more on ink this year but don't want to waste time or money and I trust you guys to steer me right.

Always sign your name with a good pen.

Thanks

I managed to snag a bottle quite by happenstance as it was the last (I think) bottle from a group buy and I paid $30 (I really wanted the bottle). So if people are wanting it, maybe a group-buy should be considered. I will say that the bottle is glass and I read somewhere that it's 150ml of ink and it fairly substantial in weight which may account for shipping price. Now I need to figure out a way to finish all of this ink. It's parkpop purper incase you're curious, thankfully I love purple so it's making using the ink a lot easier.

Thanks

The bottle of Akkerman Hopjesbuin ink arrived today. The bottle is outstanding and really very much worth the price once just for collecting-sake. The filling mechanism is superior and I don't see why all fountain pen ink isn't offered in similar bottles. I can see using this bottle over and over for all kinds of ink and for that reason alone, if it weren't so expensive, I'd buy a few more; but I'm not going to. the ink, on the other hand is underwhelming. Partly it may have been my choice of color. It was a bit tough negotiating the whole experience in Dutch. I'm not sure what hopjes means but bruin is certainly brown and this is a light brown, very similar to the Platinum Mix-Free Earth Brown I received as a prize from the FP Geeks, but a bit more watery. It is not my favorite color and despite feeling very much like water color paint on the page it doesn't flow all that freely out of the pen, so all-in-all I can't recommend it, but also want to suggest that other colors might be a better choice.

Thanks

What I did, as I am the pres of the New Mexico Pen Collectors Club, is we took an order from the club members, and then I placed the order with P.W. Akkerman. To get the best price you need to place a 15 bottle order and then it comes out to about 31.00 a bottle or less. I handled the whole deal. We ended up with only one broken bottle which Paul at P.W. Akkerman took care of promptly!

Thanks

I'm not sure what hopjes means but bruin is certainly brown and this is a light brown, very similar to the Platinum Mix-Free Earth Brown I received as a prize from the FP Geeks, but a bit more watery.
    Your Dutch is getting along nicely, "bruin" indeed means brown. I'm sure you guessed that all the ink names bear some relation to the city of The Hague where the Akkerman store is located. "Hopjes" are a popular sweet from that area, with a light-brown soft cover and a darker, hard centre. I don't like them.

I can attest to differences in the properties of the different inks. My first choice was "IJzer-galnoten blauw/zwart" (Iron gall blue/black) that was horribly dry in a Parker Duofold that wrote fine with anything else remotely resembling ink. Paul confirmed that he had had complaints about that ink from several customers, while others were very satisfied with it. He let me exchange it without any problem for a bottle of "Rood Haags pluche", the best-flowing, warmest red ink I have ever seen.
    And as we all know, it's the combination of pen and ink and paper, YMMV.

Cheers,
    Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by Chi Town View Post
    What I did, as I am the pres of the New Mexico Pen Collectors Club, is we took an order from the club members, and then I placed the order with P.W. Akkerman. To get the best price you need to place a 15 bottle order and then it comes out to about 31.00 a bottle or less. I handled the whole deal. We ended up with only one broken bottle which Paul at P.W. Akkerman took care of promptly!
    Hi, is that $31? Or Euros? And did that include shipping to the U.S.?