Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So What's the Story on Chinese Pens?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Here's one for you. I purchased what I have always thought to be a quality Italian pen. It is my second Italian pen, not from the same manufacturer. Both of my Italian pens have/had major quality issues that should have been caught before leaving the factory. I paid a pretty penny for them and am really disappointed with them. So, that's two for two. Not a good record so far and it's really making me think twice about considering Italian pens. I could fix the pen myself but that's not the point. It should have worked out of the box, in my opinion. Anytime I pay more than $50 for a pen, I expect it to work. Maybe my standards are too high???
    Heck, any time we spend anything on a new pen, the expectation should be that it will work unless clearly stated otherwise.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Freddy For This Useful Post:

CAB (October 14th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

That is true but I think it's paramount on higher priced pens but really, like you say, it does not matter how much you pay. It just really made me question exactly what I was paying for. I am giving the retailer a chance to make it right so I am refraining from naming the pen and the retailer for now. I guess I just needed to vent.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,480 Times in 1,744 Posts

Here's one for you. I purchased what I have always thought to be a quality Italian pen. It is my second Italian pen, not from the same manufacturer. Both of my Italian pens have/had major quality issues that should have been caught before leaving the factory. I paid a pretty penny for them and am really disappointed with them. So, that's two for two. Not a good record so far and it's really making me think twice about considering Italian pens. I could fix the pen myself but that's not the point. It should have worked out of the box, in my opinion. Anytime I pay more than $50 for a pen, I expect it to work. Maybe my standards are too high???
    Not at all. If it's at a certain price point it SHOULD work out of the box.

I would say that 98% of my Chinese cheapies ($10 & under) DID work out of the box. I can actually name the ones that didn't, and a lot of pens cross my desk.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Not at all. If it's at a certain price point it SHOULD work out of the box.

I would say that 98% of my Chinese cheapies ($10 & under) DID work out of the box. I can actually name the ones that didn't, and a lot of pens cross my desk.
    Hm, I reckon I'm 50/50. Three fantastic Hero 616 "Jumbo"s, two dud Baoers (517s) and a Jinhao (X750).

goldiesdad

My go to right now is a Hero 616 under 3 bucks and writes a smooth beautiful line ....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

I am liking my 330 quite a bit. I got a 616 but have not used it. It seems very cheap to me. We will see.

Thanks

hello, gang. i buy and use a lot of chinese pens. what can i say? most -and by that i mean 99%- of the ones i own, write like any FP should write. a lot of them write better than my more expensive european brands.

jor412 wrote:
    I've only tried about 10 Chinese pens, but so far, I've had good luck with them.
    how many more does one need to try to be convinced?
    lovemy51

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    There easily could be if there's demand for one.
    we have a Lamy sub-forum here -and only 8 threads . i'm sure we can talk about the chinese pens more here. just get Sailor-K and Krazy-I in there and those two will fill the chinese pen sub-forum in no time.
    lovemy51

Thanks

tell me what u guys think of this chinese combo pen: FP/BP

lovemy51

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lovemy51 View Post
    WANT! That's very cool. Is that a triumph style nib?

jor412

First, of course, after trying 10 I'm convinced that they're decent pens and more than worth their cost. Like I said, I've had good luck with them. The point I was making was merely that while others have gotten duds, I have yet to encounter a dud.

They write fine. Sometimes, the construction leaves something to be desired (like chipping or fading paint on sections, ink drying up faster than it should which indicates the pen isn't as air tight as it could be, a cap that fits too tightly, etc.). They're not perfect but for what I paid for them (an average of $1-9), I'm not complaining.

Second, the nib on your pen is gorgeous.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,480 Times in 1,744 Posts

we have a Lamy sub-forum here -and only 8 threads . i'm sure we can talk about the chinese pens more here. just get Sailor-K and Krazy-I in there and those two will fill the chinese pen sub-forum in no time.

Heeheeheeee.......

That two in one pen reminds me of a bamboo pen/brush combo I have. Strange but interesting.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Now you are going to make me blush.

That is an interesting pen that reminds me of some company memorabilia that I came across while looking into branded pens as in company giveaways. It was a cracked ice fountain pen/mech pencil combo but I passed on it because it looked like too much work to get operational.

I do like the triumph style nib. I need to get my own Triumph but my Wingsung 233 and 234 will hold me over until then.

Thanks

Krazy man, that is not a triumph nib. it only appears so from that angle. it is actually an inlaid. that makes it more interesting, dont-it?

here's a belly shot:
    lovemy51

Thanks

Yes, it surely does make it more interesting.

Thanks

I also have mixed fillings. A year ago I habd bought a hero 616 10 pens lot, only 3 of them were usable. A month later I ordered a Jinhao Long March (or something like that) and a Duke pen, both were well constructed and reliable writers. I am currently waiting for a jinhao 159 which from what I have heard are is same as the Bulow X530

Thanks

It has only been the last three months that I have discovered Chinese pens. My first was a give away 616 from Teri at Peyton street pens. I purchased a NOS Sheaffer imperial 777 and she included the 616. I was very impressed with its performance so started looking around, then got another NOS this time a Hero 330, the nib on that was is super fine but not at all scratchy. I have also added a bookworm 675 and jinhao dragon rising. I flushed all the pens before use as is my want and each and every one writes wonderfully. The only fault so far was one of the red crystals in the eyes of the dragon clip was missing, I just took the other one out and now the dragon looks like it has diamond eyes!

I have spent less than $30 for all these pens including shipping, great fun and they are going to be useful to me as I want to Lear how to grind a stub nib and these will be great practice!

I have my eyes on one of the Hero 1000 51 look a likes as it has a gold nib, nearly did it last week but ended up winning 51 special on eBay for $23 so the Hero is on hold!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Unfortunately, another failure to report. I received a Duke 209 yesterday and was initially thrilled with it. Fine looking black matte finish, very smooth nib. I wrote with it for awhile with no problem. Took it out of the carry case today and it was leaking (all over my hands.) Cleaned it up and tried to write with it and the ink was just pouring out. I emptied and flushed it and tried to take the nib off to adjust it on the feed, but couldn't get it off easily and didn't have tools or time to spend. So out of the daily carry it came, replaced by my trusty Schaeffer Intensity that I hadn't put into the rotation for awhile.

Thanks

That sounds like air was getting in. Did you make sure the converter was in all the way? I have never tried Duke but it is supposed to be on the "higher" end of the spectrum.

I will still stick with Kaigelu. I have been really happy with them. I just ordered another Century Star 316 (Parker Duofold homage) in charcoal. I am going to stub it maybe even try a CI grind. One reason I like them is the converter screws in, so you are not guessing if it is in correctly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

That sounds like air was getting in. Did you make sure the converter was in all the way? I have never tried Duke but it is supposed to be on the "higher" end of the spectrum.

I will still stick with Kaigelu. I have been really happy with them. I just ordered another Century Star 316 (Parker Duofold homage) in charcoal. I am going to stub it maybe even try a CI grind. One reason I like them is the converter screws in, so you are not guessing if it is in correctly.
    I'm pretty sure the converter was in. It worked ok yesterday. I'll try it again tomorrow. I too am very happy with my Kaigelu.