Thread: Ideal diary size.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 695 Posts

Default Ideal diary size.

My current daily journal is an A5 (about 5½ x 8¼) sized Franklin Christoph notebook. I also have a roughly 4 x 6 "travel" journal, something I got at Barnes and Noble.

The A5 in particular seems to be a typical size picked for diaries, but I've been wondering why. Over the years, I've tried different sizes, and this seems a bit smaller than ideal, although it's certainly usable. When I was using ballpoints and then rollerballs, I made do with a series of composition books, generally about 7 x 9. When I got interested in fountain pens, it turned out that I wanted better paper than most of these have, although the Staples "Sustainable Earth" paper was not bad. I tried different Clairefontaine sizes, up to 8¼ x 11¾, and I still have a couple of those that I haven't used, but I wanted to try the smaller journal sizes too.

I do plan to use up all the ones that I've got now, but when that's done, I think the 8¼ x 11¾ size is best for me, although composition book size is good enough. I can write small if I have to, but it's more comfortable to let it spread out a bit. I like ruled left hand margins to make notes about what is found on each page, makes it easier to find things later. Maybe for a "travel journal" I could go with something a bit smaller, but 4 x 6 is pushing it.

Which makes me wonder where we got the idea that these small paper sizes are good for journal keeping. My guess is that, since these are usually private, people wanted something small and unobtrusive that they could quickly hide away in a small desk drawer. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who prefers a larger notebook.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Ideal diary size.

I have no idea but I guess, as with all things, it is going to come down to personal preference. For me, A5 is the perfect size.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

My daily diary for the second (I'll likely fill it up in a few days) is a Scout Books Mega. It's an odd size if you are looking for cases but I like it as it is a bit shorter and wider than A5. I'm also using the Tomoe River Blank Book Hardback which has 4.9 x 8 inch page size; 5.25 x 8.25 inch cover size.

Thanks

I keep three 'diaries' - a pocket one for writing down meetings and events; an A5 for bullet journal and an A4 one-day-a-page diary on my work desk, which really is my notetaker for the year when I attend meetings, etc.

IMHO, the 'perfect size' has a good deal to do with a) the volume of writing, b) the size of one's handwriting and c) the portable need of the notebook.

When you write a lot every day or write larger characters, you generally want a generous sized notebook; when the notebook needs to go everywhere with its owner, most people would prefer something not too bulky.

For me, A5 is about the perfect size for my most used notebook - the bullet journal, because I don't write a lot in it (no more than half a page a day), my handwriting is about medium size and I need to carry it with me most days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    Which makes me wonder where we got the idea that these small paper sizes are good for journal keeping. My guess is that, since these are usually private, people wanted something small and unobtrusive that they could quickly hide away in a small desk drawer. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who prefers a larger notebook.
    Interesting point. I used to keep a private journal when I was a sentimental teen. It was A6-size. I don't know how I managed to pour so much stuff into such a small notebook, but I think I chose that size because it appeared more 'precious' and it felt more private. In hindsight, the small size also compelled me to write carefully, so the penmenship looked a little more respectable.
    Last edited by kaisnowbird; January 9th, 2014 at 04:56 PM.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (January 9th, 2014)

Thanks

For me, this is one area where size matters. I had been using a 5 x 7 Kraft refill for a journal I got at Barnes & Noble. The size was great, although the paper left a little to be desired. So, I switched to a Clairefontaine recently, which is 11 cm x 17 cm (roughly 4.3 in x 6.9 in). I love the paper quality, but the slight change in size has been noticeable.

I do like journals on the smaller size because they are portable. I can easily toss one in my bag or just carry it around. I have pretty small handwriting, so that has an impact as well.

Senior Member inlovewithjournals's Avatar
    Thanks

Agreed, A5 is my preferred size. I'm currently using a Cross Signature Textured journal in A5.
    Check out my blog: http://inlovewithjournals.wordpress.com/

The perfect place for a writer is in the hideous roar of a city, with men making a new road under his window in competition with a barrel organ, and on the mat a man waiting for the rent. - Henry Vollam Morton

Thanks

My preferred journal size is A5 too. I think it's partly because it's a size I have no problem carrying around and I like to journal in different places. Also, I think it's the perfect size for my handwriting.

I am currently using a slightly smaller size (5"x7.5") and I'm still adjusting to the new size. I still prefer A5, but I love my new leather journal and I'm willing to adjust to it.

Thanks

For daily writing i have three journals.
    I carry everywhere a pocket notebook where I enter daily my plans and priorities for the day. It also captures all the stray thoughts and ideas. I will often fill a page or three with a burst of creativity that can't wait for me to be sitting at my desk.
    I am using an A5 for my 1000 Words a Day journal. For me 1000 words is eight pages in the A5. It feels a bit constrained and I will try an A4 when that one is filled. It does need to fit together with my iPad into the iPad case, so more thinner journals is better than one thick one.
    The closest I have to a diary I keep in (sit down here) Evernote, usually on my iPad while sitting back in the recliner. Most of these entries are 5-10 sentences plus my three good things for the day. This journal predates my foray into fountain pens and I like having it searchable. If my handwriting ever improves enough that I can scan in and search a handwritten version I will switch over then.

Thanks

I think maybe the origin of the A5(ish) sizes for journals is that it's probably the best compromise between two opposing needs: room for writing (in a journal, it's often long-form rather than quick, elliptical notations as with a planner) and portability.

A5ish is small enough to fit in all bags except the smaller ones which most people use only as occasion bags anyway. But for all but the largest handwriting it should fit 5-6 words per line (100-150 per page) so that while you'll never feel like you have endless swathes of paper, at least it doesn't feel like you're changing lines or flipping pages with irritating frequency.

Portability is also about how easy it is to write on awkward work surfaces, such as tiny coffee shop tables, your lap - or the bed! A larger notebook is going to be too ungainly in those situations, it will hang half off the side of the c/s table (where people passing by can bump it while you're writing, ahem), it will not fit on your lap, and on the bed it will be too floppy without some support underneath (not so portable!) But people often use journals on weird surfaces, a lot more than they do notebooks for work and study, for instance.

I use those surfaces a lot in general, and I also have some experience with B5 as it's my listmaking notebook. It really is the very limit and only because it's wirebound and can fold back, which makes the footprint smaller even than A5. Most journals have stitched binding, so they don't really fold back like that.

You'd never call my handwriting small, but A5 works well for me for a journal. Actually right now it's smaller than A5, I probably have the same cover as Mr JW

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I have always used small journals, use to be because my writing was tiny and a huge journal made the page look too empty and hard to fill.

Now, I like to cary my journal with me to write whenever the interest strikes so I like something that can fit in my purse/day bag.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

I only started keeping a daily journal last fall. Well, really it started out as more of a "letting off steam and coping with anxieties" journal. I used a little Life Vermillion notebook, and found it the perfect size. And then I began to really enjoy keeping the journal for more than those old anxieties. Right now, I am using a Banditapple Carnet notebook (small size) and love it and the paper in it. I do use a Kokuyo Hi Grade Mio Paper Campus notebook size A5 for my poems and memoir pieces (I like the dated format).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

My current journal/diary is a standard composition book or spiral bound notebook, whichever I grab to use. I use this size because I was/am writing a LOT to practice and improve my handwriting. I am on notebook/composition book #12 since starting last Aug.

I used to use a smaller 1/2 letter size ring binder (about 5.5w x 8.5h). This went with me in my breifcase, and as was mentioned, it was small enough to not be a hassle to use at work. It was similar to the 'Daytimer' planner, so more an appointment book/planner/notekeeper than a diary. And I used a pencil in it, and things changed a lot.