Thread: Apica CD11 Notebook Review

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Apica CD11 Notebook Review

The full set of pictures can be found on my blog and by clicking this link.

Apica CD11
    Test Pen: Kaweco Art Sport, Medium Nib
    Test Ink: Kaweco Blue

The holy grail of any fountain pen user is a combination of ink, nib and paper. Today, I have paper in the form of an Apica CD11 notebook. I have read many good things about these notebooks. Some forum threads I found go back to 2007. It is puzzling that I have not heard more about this paper until a few months ago. To add to this, the back cover of the notebook seems to suggest that these have existed since 1987.

Apica was originally called Japan Notebook Manufacturer and was founded in 1916. The notebook, in its current form, is widely used by elementary school children in Japan. Apica uses high quality velum paper that seems to be coated. This would help explain its excellent performance. The paper resists bleed and feathering admirably. There is one single signature that is sewn together and consists of 14 leaves of paper. This gives a total of 56 pages.

The cover is described on Apica's website as a "Baroque etched cover with laid finish." The spine is taped for extra strength. Did I mention the paper is pH neutral? The notebook is the same size as a #16 Rhodia DotPad so the Apica is A5 in size.

Overall, the paper is smooth and absorbs ink somewhat quick so you don't have to wait long for the ink to dry. That is always a good thing. The only thing I could say bad about it is that it may not have enough pages for some. It is very reasonably priced at under $4 USD per notebook. I got mine for under $3 USD on special.

I don't hesitate to recommend this notebook to any fountain pen user. It is a very good deal for some very good paper.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

DrChumley (January 11th, 2014), earthdawn (January 12th, 2014), Fawkes (January 16th, 2014), Gobblecup (May 11th, 2018), Jeph (January 12th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Apica CD11 Notebook Review

I love these notebooks. I use them all the time for my work notes. I actually like that they don't have a ton of pages, because it allows me to store my notes by quarter (or in some cases, month) instead of having one single notebook that starts to fall apart all the time from use. I've never had one of these fray or give me any problems. And the paper is über smooth.

The only thing I have seen with this notebook is that every now and again, a certain ink just doesn't like the coating. De Atramentis Aubergine feathers like CRAZY on this paper. And Diamine Sherwood Green will come up on my fingers, even after weeks of "drying." But for the most part, these little notebooks are inexpensive, work wonderfully well, and they look pretty cool too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DrChumley For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (January 12th, 2014)

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

Over the past year I've grown to really love this size notebook. I haven't settled on a favorite Japanese brand: I like Apica and Kokuyo equally. I think this one may have a slight edge because it looks so classy. I think this Apica notebook is designed for writing and Kokuyo is geared more toward students.

Overall, I've preferred the Japanese papers over Clairfontaine or Rhodia because the ink seems to dry more quickly and just presents better. The paper itself also seems a bit thinner (a plus in my world). I'm embarrassed that I spend this much for a notebook, but I love writing in it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (January 12th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I do have to say that this size (A5) is a favorite of mine. I would not mind a pocket notebook (3.5"x5.5") with this paper just because that is what I use at work when I am out and about.

I will have to keep an eye out for feathering inks but so far it looks good.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Apica CD-7 Notebook - 2.8 x 4, Bold
    Apica CD-10 Notebook - 4.1 x 5.8
    Goulet
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”