Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Gamers Out There?

Thanks

Default Any Gamers Out There?

I have been a console gamer since the early 80's (Atari 2600) and never really stopped. Currently I am using an Xbox One but was wondering if anybody else balances family, gaming and pens as I try to do!
    "My God—it's full of stars!"......Bowman's last words before entering the Monolith.
    Arthur C. Clarke - 2001 (the book)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Any Gamers Out There?

I gave up on serious gaming long time ago. I'm more of a casual gamer now. I still pull out my Dreamcast once in a while for a game of Soul Calibur.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

TerraNoir (February 18th, 2014)

Thanks

I used to be a pretty heavy PC and PS3 gamer. I just gave it up a few months ago though to spend the time on other hobbies/passions. I won't deny that I miss it at times.

Thanks

I'm a gamer, and even used to work for the Xbox team at Microsoft for about three years. I'm generally a console gamer, with (currently) an Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PS3. This last year or so, though, I have had a hard time finding the motivation to game as much as I used to. Not coincidentally, I think, this seems to correspond with my development of a fountain pen hobby. (Who knew?)

I am also finding, as I get a little older, that a lot of the style of games I like to play just aren't being made these days, and if they are, they're not being made very well. I don't dig a lot of the repetitive quests and collection activities that game makers throw into games to pad out the length. And I'm not into shooter/warfare games at all.

In any case, I'm excited for a few of the titles that will be coming out for the XB One, and I've got a couple of games for both the 360 and the PS3 I need to get wrapped up.

Thanks

I'm also more into board games and the occasional rpg, also painted toy soldier type games, though I haven't really been into that recently, what with all my stuff being in the wrong side of an ocean.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

Have done computer games in the past,but my 2 subjects--WRC Rally
    and WW2 aviation sim games--just aren't being made anymore,and the
    previous software doesn't match up with today's software. I may only
    play them once in a blue moon.

John

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dcroe05 View Post
    I'm a gamer, but not a console gamer. Board games, strategy games and the like. Once or twice a year we do an RPG. I'm the only person among my very-techie group of friends that isn't into video games.
    I am into MMORPG's and currently play Spartan Wars on the iPad.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I primarily play PC games, currently playing Neverwinter Online when I'm not working/studying/writing. Very excited about Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3(can't be as bad as DA2 can it?)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Mainly Sony PS3: Borderlands2, Fallout & XCOM.
    Also board & tabletop games; I seem to spend much more time assembling & painting than playing. Probably just as well Mrs Bogon usually trounces me anyway.
    And if you guys think waiting for a pen is stressful don't get involved in Kickstarters with miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    I'm also more into board games and the occasional rpg, also painted toy soldier type games, though I haven't really been into that recently, what with all my stuff being in the wrong side of an ocean.
    And you appear have avoided GamesWorkshop picking up on your use of some of their IP on your last year's InCoWriMo letter envelope or did you really have to move to avoid their cease and desist notices.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tangster View Post
    I primarily play PC games, currently playing Neverwinter Online when I'm not working/studying/writing. Very excited about Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3(can't be as bad as DA2 can it?)
    I seriously hope DA3 is better than DA2. I love that series.

I'm currently playing The Last of Us on the PS3. I generally prefer the more cinematic style games, with a great story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Mainly Sony PS3: Borderlands2, Fallout & XCOM.
    Also board & tabletop games; I seem to spend much more time assembling & painting than playing. Probably just as well Mrs Bogon usually trounces me anyway.
    And if you guys think waiting for a pen is stressful don't get involved in Kickstarters with miniatures.

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    And you appear have avoided GamesWorkshop picking up on your use of some of their IP on your last year's InCoWriMo letter envelope or did you really have to move to avoid their cease and desist notices.
    Sssshhh, you'll blow my cover! I'd finally found a quiet pocket of the web way to hide in, and you had to tell the Ordo Hereticus about it...
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to snedwos For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (January 14th, 2014)

Thanks

D3:LoD, UT2003, MOHAA:AA here.
    Oldies but goodies.

Thanks

Gamer here too, but not of the digital kind. RPGs, board games, card games, miniature games, and the like

Thanks

Ever since the 1970's first PC based RPG games came around I used to enjoy the Dungeons and Dragons games.

Nowadays due to time restrictions I do not play computer games often but I still find that in times of high stress I go back to play them.

At the moment the one I have installed is Guild Wars 2.

Thanks

I have an Xbox 360, current favourites are bf4, assassins creed black flag and skyrim ( can get lost in there for hours). I used to play all the stronghold games on the PC, they were ace may have to check out Spartan wars.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I used to be, I just don't have time anymore.

I'd love, love to find a group of geeky folks to do REAL gaming, like AD&D, run some adventures, use my fountain pens to fill out a character sheet and draw maps... That's what I miss.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 10th, 2015)

Thanks

I used to game more often but don't have as much time for it anymore. Between indie bundles and GOG.com (they update classic games for newer OS) my PC game backlog is more than 300 games, I've given up on finishing them all now and just kind of play whatever I want when the mood strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by sumgaikid View Post
    Have done computer games in the past,but my 2 subjects--WRC Rally
    and WW2 aviation sim games--just aren't being made anymore,and the
    previous software doesn't match up with today's software. I may only
    play them once in a blue moon.

John
    Have you looked at GOG.com? They make lots of old games work on modern computers and released some WW2 flight sims IIRC.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post

I'd love, love to find a group of geeky folks to do REAL gaming, like AD&D, run some adventures, use my fountain pens to fill out a character sheet and draw maps... That's what I miss.
    Yes! I can't find anyone around here either (the few times I tried it was worse than PC games), it's really disappointing because I loved tabletop gaming but there seems to be some kind of unofficial age limit where most people stop doing it.

Thanks

I play boardgames... even joined a club via another website with geek in the title! At the weekend, I went to a boardgame shop, then proceeded across the road to a bookshop with art supplies to buy some Pink Quink Ink!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WirsPlm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post

Yes! I can't find anyone around here either (the few times I tried it was worse than PC games), it's really disappointing because I loved tabletop gaming but there seems to be some kind of unofficial age limit where most people stop doing it.
    My wife also used to play real life D&D gaming including a human dungeon master and following the D&D rule books. On my side I have always preferred the computer game side of things as I said in a previous post. Every computer game I have played though seems to have its own interpretation of the D&D rules.