Thread: A Fascinating Discovery About Waterman's Beginnings

Thanks

Default A Fascinating Discovery About Waterman's Beginnings

George Rimakis and I have written a monograph that reveals some astonishing information about the formative days of the Waterman company. We invite readers here to have a look and to discuss the paper.

Blotting Out the Truth

Edited to add: I encourage members to read the article prior to scanning the responses in the thread so as to avoid spoilers!

--Daniel
    Last edited by kirchh; December 9th, 2015 at 02:33 PM.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Adhizen (January 15th, 2014), AndyT (January 15th, 2014), Annie (January 15th, 2014), Cob (August 11th, 2014), dannzeman (January 15th, 2014), DrChumley (January 15th, 2014), earthdawn (January 14th, 2014), ethernautrix (January 15th, 2014), Hawk (August 4th, 2014), inlovewithjournals (January 15th, 2014), Jeph (January 15th, 2014), Jon Szanto (January 15th, 2014), kia (January 15th, 2014), KrazyIvan (January 15th, 2014), mhosea (January 16th, 2014), Scrawler (April 17th, 2014), Tony Rex (January 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: A Fascinating Discovery About Waterman's Beginnings

Quite a research journey, and a fascinating read. How long did this take to research?

Thanks

Wow, that was quite a read. Somewhere I remember reading specifically that Waterman's feed design was the key to (and beginning of) the moden fountain pen. The (possible) journey to that point is quite an interesting read. I suspect if that story is not correct, it is closer than anything else has been.

Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kia View Post
    Quite a research journey, and a fascinating read. How long did this take to research?
    From the happenstance of encountering the first bit of information to completion, the project took four weeks.

--Daniel

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

kia (January 15th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Terrific work, fascinating read. Thank you both
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kirchh View Post
    From the happenstance of encountering the first bit of information to completion, the project took four weeks.

--Daniel

Just 4 weeks. Wow.

Why, I don't know, but I think I've seen a Holland pen somewhere about some pen forum or listing, or maybe I saw it once elsewhere. Problem is, I've no idea where, and now I've got that little, isolated, irritating piece of gray matter in the back of my mind jumping up and down for attention. Then again, it would certainly be a very rare find, and it's very much more likely my mind is just wanting to think I'd seen something. It's going to drive me crazy for a few days trying to figure it out before I give up on it. I hadn't even heard most of the LE Waterman ink blot story, but now you've got Holland ghosting me just on thought alone.

Four weeks. Sheesh. The one and only research paper I wrote some 30 years ago took me 9 weeks to research, was almost 1/3 shorter, but not anywhere near as interesting. It did only take me 48 hours to write up after the research and aced my university class (probably because I'd snagged a rare interview), but thankfully it is sitting in the dark hidden away. I never considered it my best. Thank you for your writing.
    Last edited by kia; January 15th, 2014 at 10:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I am still in the middle of reading the whole thing but I posted a link to your article and this thread on my blog.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

George (January 15th, 2014)

Thanks

A really engaging and enlightening read. Thanks for sharing.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

Excellent paper and a thoroughly enjoyable read.

When I first read the Twain connection, I was like "Com'on! Really?", but I must admit, you supposition was based on facts and completely plausible, probable even. Thank you!
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

I echo the above comments - very interesting read -looks be be thoroughly researched - interesting twists and turns..... Nice work Gentlemen.

Sifting though text of that era is challenging - though my perspective is by doing Family Tree research the media is the same.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

--Daniel
    I must correct myself; I just checked the dates, and George showed me the first key scrap of information on December 23 (during what is retrospectively known as the First Frank Holland Memorial Invitational Pen Club Meeting), so the project actually took three weeks, not four.

--Daniel

Thanks

--Daniel
    I must correct myself; I just checked the dates, and George showed me the first key scrap of information on December 23 (during what is retrospectively known as the First Frank Holland Memorial Invitational Pen Club Meeting), so the project actually took three weeks, not four.

--Daniel
    omg, you're breaking my fingers! What excellent work in such a short time!
    Last edited by kia; January 16th, 2014 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks

--Daniel

Just 4 weeks. Wow.

Why, I don't know, but I think I've seen a Holland pen somewhere about some pen forum or listing, or maybe I saw it once elsewhere. Problem is, I've no idea where, and now I've got that little, isolated, irritating piece of gray matter in the back of my mind jumping up and down for attention. Then again, it would certainly be a very rare find, and it's very much more likely my mind is just wanting to think I'd seen something. It's going to drive me crazy for a few days trying to figure it out before I give up on it. I hadn't even heard most of the LE Waterman ink blot story, but now you've got Holland ghosting me just on thought alone.

Four weeks. Sheesh. The one and only research paper I wrote some 30 years ago took me 9 weeks to research, was almost 1/3 shorter, but not anywhere near as interesting. It did only take me 48 hours to write up after the research and aced my university class (probably because I'd snagged a rare interview), but thankfully it is sitting in the dark hidden away. I never considered it my best. Thank you for your writing.
    You may be thinking of something like this...

except it was made by John Holland, not Frank Holland.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

This is an excellent piece of research and is a fascinating read. I had heard rumours that Waterman was a self promoter and not exactly as he claimed. This does put those rumours into perspective.

Thanks

I read this thread seven days ago and was totally amazed at the amount of research that was done and the relatively short amount of time it took from inception to completion. Job well done.
    Both of you didnt leave a stone unturned in order to validate your work. Often, fabricated stories createca life of their own and adapt to the growing interest of readers. I hope your piece continues to remain in the public eye in perpetuity. Thanks again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I read this thread seven days ago and was totally amazed at the amount of research that was done and the relatively short amount of time it took from inception to completion. Job well done.
    Both of you didnt leave a stone unturned in order to validate your work. Often, fabricated stories createca life of their own and adapt to the growing interest of readers. I hope your piece continues to remain in the public eye in perpetuity. Thanks again.
    Thank you very much for your compliments! We really enjoyed every minute of the labor that went into the article, and we have continued to research the events and related matters since we first posted the piece. An expanded version is being serialized in the Pennant (the magazine of the Pen Collectors of America), with even more information and additional citations; the first part (of three) appeared in the most recent issue, and the middle part will appear in the next issue.

You are absolutely right about the phenomenon of attractive myths entering the lore of a field; after 130 years, this one still plays a major role in the image of the Waterman company, and it is given prominent mention on Waterman's web page. Though the real story might be less romantic, it is incomparably more fascinating.

--Daniel
    “Every discussion which is made from an egoistic standpoint is corrupted from the start and cannot yield an absolutely sure conclusion. The ego puts its own interest first and twists every argument, word, even fact to suit that interest.”
    ― Paul Brunton, The Notebooks of Paul Brunton