Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaweco Liliput Fountain Pen Review

Thanks

Default Kaweco Liliput Fountain Pen Review

This is the Kaweco Liliput fountain pen. It is a small, all metal, clipless fountain pen. I have the silver version but it is also available in black and a new brass version will be available later this year. It is made to be a pocket pen. There is a small leather 2 pen sleeve made by Kaweco special for the Liliput. It is a bit thready on the cap end and when posting but I like the long threading because it feels secure in my pocket.

Attachment 8847

The one thing that I’ve read about the pen in the negative other than the long threads is the price. It’s $55 for what may seem like a small simple pen. Well, that’s exactly why it cost $55. Look around for another pen like it, there aren’t that many. In the world outside of fountain pens there is the Fisher Space pen which fills a similar gap. A big plus here as well is that Kaweco made it. There is a slim pocket pen by Lanbitou that used to be made by another company but I have one and after a week it is totaled. The Kaweco Liliput is all metal. It has a long thread which means it’s not coming apart in your pocket. It threads on to post which is nice because it is the only way to get the bulk of the cap to act as an extension with any sort of rigidity. There are other pens that are small and many that can be pocket pens, I’m thinking the Sport from Kaweco even, but the pure simplicity or structure and design here is obviously something people like and that’s why it isn’t a $15 pen. To me, the total package of style, function and what it allows you to do make it worth its price tag.

Attachment 8848

Another thing I really like about the pen is that it is available from EF all the way to Bold. I have the EF and like the idea of having a really fine nib on a pocket pen because I am likely to use it in a pocket notebook where real estate is at a premium. If I get another it will likely be a B nib because I also like the idea of having a compact pen that can still get a wet line down. My only concern here is that the Kaweco cartridges are quite small in comparison to some others. I am tempted to get the squeeze convertor but it hasn’t had the best reviews in terms of ink capacity either. If you have experience with the convertor let me know. It uses the same cartridges and convertor as the Kaweco Sport line which is a plus as well.

Attachment 8849

In comparison to some well known pens like the Lamy Safari and Pilot Metropolitan the Liliput measures about the same in length if posted as those un-posted. It’s plenty long for most hands. For me I haven’t had issues with the girth but it is a bit of a slimmer pen so you might want to avoid it if you only like thicker pens.

Attachment 8850

Finally to the performance of the pen. I can easily say that this is the smoothest EF nib I have ever used. I’ve not used all of them and I assume there are others that are smoother but I couldn’t be more pleased with this one. It’s not needle thin but it is fine enough to use on pocket notebooks that aren’t traditionally considered fountain pen friendly. In the end I would heartily recommend the Liliput to anyone wanting a sturdy metal pocket fountain pen.

-Heath
    @WeThePPIL

For the rest of the images from the review you can click her to go to my blog: http://penpaperinkletter.com/kaweco-liliput-fountain-pen-review/

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (January 19th, 2014), da vinci (January 16th, 2014), drgoretex (January 17th, 2014), earthdawn (January 16th, 2014), ethernautrix (January 16th, 2014), Jeph (January 16th, 2014), MarcV (March 2nd, 2014), onepuff (August 1st, 2014), pica pica (March 18th, 2015), Polyhistor (May 21st, 2014), RuiFromUK (July 16th, 2014), subramaniyam (January 16th, 2014), Uncle Bud (January 16th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Default Re: Kaweco Liliput Fountain Pen Review

I've been eying the black version for a couple of years and always talked myself out of it ("I don't need another pen."), but a very smooth EF nib, you say? I might have to check it out.

I have the ballpoint Liliput. But I hardly ever use ballpoints. It works great for forms in multicate (not just duplicate or triplicate).

Good review. Thanks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

heath (January 16th, 2014)

Thanks

Great review. If I get one, the first thing I do will be to place it beside my Kim Jumbo and do a size comparison (and post it titled 'David and Goliath)! I'm planning to get a Classic Sport; it will be my first Kaweco. :-)

Regards,
    Sub

Thanks

My only real question: Is it big enough to accept a converter or are you stuck with cartridges?

Thanks

The Kawe-converter should fit, right?

Thanks

I've actually been told NO since the review. I had found a site that claimed as much but according to one of my readers SBRE Brown tried and it didn't work. That being said, I can't confirm that either. I want to say I thought he tried the Montverde converter not the Kaweco squeeze one but again, I'm not certain.

Anyone here know 100% and actually have one?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

The space inside is just barely enough to fit a short international cartridge. You cannot fit a Monteverde mini converter in it. Well, you might but the plunger is going to be all the way down, defeating the purpose. I don't have mine anymore but I would guess the squeeze converter would not fit the diameter of the barrel.

from my review:

"There is no way you are going to fit a mini Monte Verde converter in this pen either. This pen is not meant for that. There is roughly 1/4" inch of space left in the barrel once the International Short Cartridge is installed. If you need extra ink, you carry extra cartridges with this pen. A bummer for some. I am indifferent about it because with the EF nib, you are not going to run out of ink that soon."
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Jeph (January 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Bugger. I did not look like one would work. Thanks. It is still a nice little pen.

Thanks

By all accounts the squeeze converter doesn't work that well, even in a Sport, so you are perhaps better off refilling your empty cartridge with a syringe.

Thanks

Slightly off topic - I usually fill the squeeze converter with a syringe and would often prefer it to cartridge. In case a nib dries up, it's much easier to prime the nib/feed quickly.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

So guess who stopped by the local fine pen shop and saw the black Kaweco Liliput in the display case AGAIN (for the THIRD time) and finally looked closely at the nib. If it said EF, that was the sign to buy it.

EF it was, and mine it is.

I've waffled over buying this pen for a couple of years (having seen it at JetPens - and buying the ballpoint as a compromise, cos I didn't need any more fountain pens, as if I used ballpoints frequently enough to need one, as if I didn't already have at least half-a-dozen fine ballpoints (I'm talking Montblanc Agatha Christie and Sheaffer Connaisseur)), and, heath, your review pushed me over at last, what with talking about how smooth the nib is.

And it is.

I'm very excited about this little fountain pen and the ballpoint AND the smart little case the two live in now.

Ink is Conway Stewart Kingsand (a Diamine "sub-brand" - at least Diamine is also on the label]. Used a syringe and an empty international cartridge and it was good to go!

Thanks, heath!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

heath (January 19th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,321 Posts

Nice review, and you're right that this is a ridiculously smooth EF nib. I have both a silver and black one with the little 2-pen sleeve. Together and in the sleeve, the whole package is about the size of a disposable lighter.

I love that the Kaweco nibs/feeds are friction-fit into the section, allowing for simple adjustment of the flow if desired.

Thanks

Very nice. Now I need to get one! I have been using an Al Sport (raw aluminum) for my weekend pocket carry, but I like that this one is narrower and will sit in my already crowded pocket even better. I would get the black one (medium).

Thanks

Wherever I look I read about smooth Kaweco EFs – and the one in my Sport is no exception from the rule either. The Liliput is right next on my list. For roughly 40€ this is a no-brainer. Thanks for your good review, heath! Like your blog too.
    My adventures in leatherwork (partly in English)

Thanks

Waiting for the brass version right now, which will hopefully be here later this week. Was giving it some days of thought, since it does have its price, but in the end went for it because I'm carrying my fountain pen around all the time (so small and sturdy is a plus) and because I'm a sucker for everything brass and leather - just love materials that age with you.

Thanks for posting your reviews here - that, and a Youtube video that explained all available converter options for the Liliput helped a lot with my decision

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 7188photo For This Useful Post:

heath (July 14th, 2014)

Thanks

This one with a medium nib rides comfortably in the jeans pocket.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 7188photo View Post
    Waiting for the brass version right now, which will hopefully be here later this week.
    I have the regular silver version (bought after reading this review! ) and recently acquired the new brass wave version, and I adore the brass wave. I love the extra weight and the tactility of the brass. It feels especially sturdy and I'm not afraid to toss it in my bag or pocket. You won't regret it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I have the regular silver version (bought after reading this review! ) and recently acquired the new brass wave version, and I adore the brass wave. I love the extra weight and the tactility of the brass. It feels especially sturdy and I'm not afraid to toss it in my bag or pocket. You won't regret it.
    Awesome, now I'm even more looking forward to it! Took me some time to decide between the wave and the normal one, but went for the normal one. Bit worried about the grip on it, but since I have small hands it might be fine. So excited.

Banned
    Thanks

That's as small as the sports, right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GING GING View Post
    That's as small as the sports, right?
    Smaller. Here's a pic with both in it.