Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kaweco Liliput Fountain Pen Review

Thanks

Default Re: Kaweco Liliput Fountain Pen Review

Quote Originally Posted by whych View Post
    By all accounts the squeeze converter doesn't work that well, even in a Sport, so you are perhaps better off refilling your empty cartridge with a syringe.
    You are right it doesn't (I have tried it)!!

Thanks

I have it in smooth brass and LOVE it! See the exchange for the Al-Sports that this little beauty has displaced!
    Last edited by stevekolt; August 2nd, 2014 at 09:31 PM.

Thanks

I refill the Liliput using a syringe, as well. It's a no-mess easy and cheap method. On YouTube there's a nice video how to make your own squeeze converter easily (and cheap) - will probably do that once I have a bit time on my hands!

Thanks

Apologies to anyone who doesn't like the resurrection of old threads.

Thanks for the review Heath. Recently, I've been going back and forth trying to weigh out the cost vs value of the liliput. Your review has definitely helped clarify my decision and I particularly appreciate your point about the smoothness of the EF nib (I'm generally not an EF kinda person but I share your views regarding pocket pens and what nib size would be appropriate). It's been difficult up till now to get a firm idea on Kaweco nibs as I've heard of how their nib sizes actually vary. I can only hope that when my copper liliput arrives, the EF would be just as nice as what it seems according to your review.

Oh and on a separate point, the local Kaweco distributor in my area, who has two liliputs himself, responded to my specific question of the kaweco converters by saying that Kaweco have a new version of the squeeze converter that fits perfectly into the Liliput. He specifically said that the converter fits naturally (the barrel was not forced on). While ultimately this is based on his word (pictures can't exactly confirm it), I do trust him as he knows his stuff, is (like us) extremely fanatical of fountain pens, and is the only authorised dealer of Kaweco in our country.

So I just want to put it out there for anyone who may be interested, regardless of the effectiveness of the squeeze-bladder converter, that there may indeed be an updated version that will fit the Liliput.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ryliko View Post
    Apologies to anyone who doesn't like the resurrection of old threads.

Thanks for the review Heath. Recently, I've been going back and forth trying to weigh out the cost vs value of the liliput. Your review has definitely helped clarify my decision and I particularly appreciate your point about the smoothness of the EF nib (I'm generally not an EF kinda person but I share your views regarding pocket pens and what nib size would be appropriate). It's been difficult up till now to get a firm idea on Kaweco nibs as I've heard of how their nib sizes actually vary. I can only hope that when my copper liliput arrives, the EF would be just as nice as what it seems according to your review.

Oh and on a separate point, the local Kaweco distributor in my area, who has two liliputs himself, responded to my specific question of the kaweco converters by saying that Kaweco have a new version of the squeeze converter that fits perfectly into the Liliput. He specifically said that the converter fits naturally (the barrel was not forced on). While ultimately this is based on his word (pictures can't exactly confirm it), I do trust him as he knows his stuff, is (like us) extremely fanatical of fountain pens, and is the only authorised dealer of Kaweco in our country.

So I just want to put it out there for anyone who may be interested, regardless of the effectiveness of the squeeze-bladder converter, that there may indeed be an updated version that will fit the Liliput.
    Can you provide a link or any other information on this potential new converter?
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Unfortunately I have nothing but the seller/shop's website and his word (and both don't exactly help in this situation). I'll speak to him again and possibly ask if he could do a video or ascertain in writing a confirmation from Kaweco themselves? I know that Kaweco's website still only shows that the squeeze converter fits the sports series with no mention on the liliput series.

I'll chat to Jesse, the seller, again to try get some substantive information. Maybe I'll just buy one of the converters myself to test for you guys, although I'll probably have no use of that converter if it is as ineffective to use as some people say.

Thanks

I have a couple of the new squeeze converters, a new Skyline Sport, and a ten-year-old traditional Sport.

The converter did not fit in the old Sport -- the barrel was just a hair too narrow to accept the metal collar at the top of the converter. I pulled the nib and feed out, to see how they fit into the converter. (The end of the feed fit into the hole perfectly, no problem there.) When I reassembled the pen and tried the converter once more, I could see that it ALMOST fit. Close enough that I was tempted to sand the inside of the barrel just a tad to allow the collar to slide in that last fraction of a millimeter.

I then tried the converter on the new Skyline, and it fit perfectly. Just slid right in, seated solidly, and filled... well, it filled okay, but I needed to squeeze a few times. (A sac that small doesn't have a lot of suction.)

It's clear to me that Kaweco has changed the size of the barrel opening in newer pens specifically to allow use of the converter. I can't imagine, if your Kaweco dealer confirms he is using them with his Lilliputs, that the converter wouldn't fit them as well.

I prefer the squeeze converter over reusing an empty ink cartridge. The opening on the converter that fits over the pen feed feels like sturdier plastic than what's used in a disposable cartridge, and the metal collar gives it extra support. (My problem with refilled cartridges in the past has been that the hole eventually loosens up and you lose the tight seal that keeps ink flow consistent.) Even if I end up refilling the converter by syringe, I still think the $4 expense is worthwhile for a part with long-term durability.