Thread: Iroshizuku Kiri-same

Thanks

Default Iroshizuku Kiri-same

Iroshizuku Kiri-same (Misty Dark Gray) by Pilot is the essence of storm clouds in a bottle. It runs the gamut from light to dark gray, as it exhibits significant shading in wider nibs. In fine nibs, it tends to run very light – almost too light for normal use.

Like other Iroshizuku inks, it flows well, and I have had no issues using it across a variety of pens and nibs. The drying time for Kiri-same varies dramatically based on the paper used: 2 seconds on Moleskine and Ecosystem journals, and 8 seconds on 80g Rhodia paper. In the Moleskine, the ink exhibits some feathering, but minimal show- and bleed-though.

As mentioned, Kiri-same can be very light in a fine nib, which is what I typically use for my daily writing. As such, it has not occupied significant time in my ink rotation. I suspect that I will use it most often with a calligraphy nib, where the full spectrum of its dynamic range can be seen. I can also see using it with a brush, as it mimics the effects of a light wash.

As with the other Iroshizuku inks, Kiri-same comes in a beautiful, solid, 50 ml bottle that looks great on one's desk. The bottle has a depression in the base to allow for the last drops to be claimed with ease. The only minor drawback to this ink is the cost – for a comparable volume, Iroshizuku tends to run 50% to 100% more than other inks.

Kiri-same is a beautiful ink, but I can only recommend it for specialized purposes.

Review materials: For the wide strokes, I used a Lamy 1.1mm steel calligraphy nib on a Lamy Safari. For the fine strokes, I used a Lamy EF steel nib on a Lamy Safari. The paper was 80g Rhodia.
    seize the dave - a little bit about a lot of stuff: ink reviews, origami, poetry, and more
    my ink reviews
    follow me on twitter @carpedavid

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carpedavid View Post
    ...The only minor drawback to this ink is the cost – for a comparable volume, Iroshizuku tends to run 50% to 100% more than other inks...
    This is the only reason I haven't bought any of this ink, it's just so darn expensive!

Thanks

Thumbs up

I ordered a bottle of this (from JetPens) last night. Woo-hoo!! =)

I can't wait to try it.

Eric
    Son of Ragnar

Thanks

I have actually used this ink for journalling, in a Pelikan M215 with F nib (also my other Pelikans with bigger and wetter nibs), and it's actually quite legible. The wetter and bigger the nib, the better it works. And the flow properties are outstanding!