Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kaweco Liliput Review

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Kaweco Liliput Review

Kaweco Liliput With EF Nib Review

This review brought to you by Jetpens.com with thanks to Lily for providing this pen.

I find portable pens cool and practical for when you need to travel light and still want to be able to carry a fountain pen with you. I had seen the Liliput on the Jetpens web site before and contemplated getting one. Jetpens does have a picture of one next to a penny to give you a size reference and you buy the pen knowing that it is going to be small. It is not until you actually get it that you realize how small it actually is. While I don't have extremely large hands, I do have above average sized hands. I must make a note here that I own a Kaweco Classic Sport and the FPN LE Stipula Passaporto. This did not prepare me for the [George Bush Jr.]minusculosity[/George Bush Jr.] of this pen. The Kaweco Classic Sport is bigger. The Passaporto is bigger. I think I might have to start the “This pen is too damn small” political party. That is my first impression of the pen right out of the box.

Now that my first impression is out of the way. Let's look at the pen closely. The body is all aluminum. A very nicely machined piece of aluminum. The Kaweco logo is laser engraved on the cap end. Right below that, more laser engraving with the Words “Kaweco” and below that, “Liliput Germany”. My sample has an EF nib. It is fitting with the size of the pen. Maybe a broad does not fit in the cap? (I kid). The nib has the Kaweco logo on it with the typical Kaweco scrolling and it also has the nib size “EF”.

When I started with fountain pens, I came from a background of super thin Asian gel pens. The nib on this pen is a perfect crossover pen because of its EF nib. A very nice controlled thin line is perfect for those that like thin line pens. The nib is very smooth for an EF as most Kaweco nibs are. I was using the included Kaweco Blue cartridge for my testing. That brings us back to the barrel and cap. The pen is constructed of aluminum, as already stated. It is available in Silver matte and black aluminum body. This will deter some that may eye the pen for eyedropper conversion. There is no way you are going to fit a mini Monte Verde converter in this pen either. This pen is not meant for that. There is roughly ¼ inch of space left in the barrel once the International Short Cartridge is installed. If you need extra ink, you carry extra cartridges with this pen. A bummer for some. I am indifferent about it because with the EF nib, you are not going to run out of ink that soon.

I used this pen over a course of a work week to see how it would handle the day to day mundane duty of task list writer, quick note taker, and just the rigors of day-to-day use. I don't usually post my pens but the Liliput demands posting for my hand. It measures a scant 3.5 inches (89 mm) un-posted and 5 inches (126 mm) posted. Capped, the pen measures 3.75 inches (97 mm). Did I mention it is small? One thing that was apparent very rapidly is that the cap needs 5 twists to take it off. Then there is the issue of using it. The cap posts by screwing onto the end of the barrel. This takes another 5 twists. But wait, there is more! I found that since the cap is almost the same size as the barrel, I had to hunt for the threads to screw the cap in properly. This meant I screwed the cap backwards until I felt the threads drop in the groove then twist as normal (5 times) to secure the cap. By the time I had the whole thing ready to write, I had to ask for information to be repeated because I was not ready. :/ I found myself just holding the cap in place over the nib, so it would not dry out, then quickly post the cap when I needed to write. This made for awkward pen holding so I would be ready to write.

The barrel diameter is roughly 5/16 of an inch or about 8 mm. Once posted, I found the pen is actually comfortable to write with and is very usable. The construction of the pen feels very solid. There is no clip though. Transporting the pen in a pocket, I felt it was really easy to lose the pen if I was not careful.
    Overall, it is a nice pen in a slightly smaller than expected package. It feels like the little kid that gets to wear the big boy pants now. Long writing sessions were okay. The thinness of the barrel did tax my fingers a little and I found myself stopping to take a break often. At $55 USD, I think it is worth the money purely based on the construction of the pen. While I do not think I would use the pen for day-to-day tasks, I think it is a good alternative for the ultra light packing traveler that needs to pack the most amount of items in the least amount of space. I feel that the pen might benefit from a loop hole or some way to attach the pen to a key chain or similar hook in a back pack. Maybe a short stubby clip like those old Sheaffer military pens might even work with it.

Pro's and Con's

Pros

Small
    Lightweight
    Nice quality construction
    Sleek design
    Smooth nib

Cons

Small
    Thin barrel may be uncomfortable for some
    No clip or attachment of any kind
    IS Cartridges only
    Lots of twisting of the cap to get the pen in a writing position

Roll the pictures:

Kaweco Liliput Review by IvanRomero, on Flickr

And I forgot to add one picture. The Stipula Passaporto thrown into the mix.

Last edited by KrazyIvan; April 23rd, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: add picture
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I seriously like this pen, but it is too small for me. I want to go ahead and do a giveaway as a thank you to the forum. Leave your comment in this thread and that will enter you in the giveaway. Only one entry per person will be counted and this is open to anyone. The giveaway will run through midnight on Saturday the 28th Mountain Daylight Time and the Winner will be announced on Monday, April 30th. Good Luck!

Thanks

KrazyIvan,

Thanks for the terrific review! I've wanted a Liliput since I first learned of them. I don't like small pens, but mini pens? I like mini pens just 'cause they're cute.

I don't have a Liliput, however, because every time I see the price tag of $55, I think, "Too much money for very little pen."

Of course, Philip of TWSBI says that manufacturing mini versions is actually more difficult than manufacturing normal size versions (of anything, I imagine). I wonder if that means the TWSBI Mini will be priced higher than the 540. Hmm... time (and apparently lots of it) will tell.

Cartridge only? Surely the Monteverde mini converter will fit the pen? Please say you think it will.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the terrific review. I may pick up a Liliput yet, but I'd like to see one in real life first. Maybe someone at the Chicago Pen Show will have one.

Note: I recuse myself from the giveaway. Eyes would roll and fingers would point if I happened to win, and besides - I want a black one =)

- Eric

Thanks

Seeing as how you only have about 1/4 inch of space beyond the cartridge to fit a converter. There is no way the Monteverde mini converter will work without extensive hacking. The Sport Classic has more room to fit it than the Liliput. By then, it is just easier to use the cartridge because the converter will hold less ink than the cartridge after hacking it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

ceebert (September 4th, 2019)

Thanks

I'd love to be entered in the contest. I lost my Fisher Space Pen a while back, and this looks like a great replacement -- and a fountain pen rather than a ballpoint to boot. Thanks for the giveaway!

Thanks

Nice review, but somehow the handwritten part does not look like an Kaweco EF too me. It almost looks like an M nib...°_°?

Thanks

Hi, I'd also like to be entered into the drawing. I also found the handwritten part a little suspicious: my Kaweco blue carts were never that saturated nor did my XF Kaweco Al Sport write so broadly. All in all a good review though.

Thanks

Enter the penfancy please. I heard about the lilliput from the pen addict as well. It's nice to have pictures.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Great review! Didn't Brad from Pen Addict have one of these?

Thanks

A very interesting fountain pen, how does the EF nib compared to an F nib? (If you have both).
    Also, do you find the threads on the pen irritating?
    Thanks for the review!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Thanks for the review and enter me in the giveaway please. I have a budding collection of these pens (Jinhao Stealth (very similar) Stipula Passporta, Bexley Jitterbug) and would really love to add this to the collection.

Thanks

I've always loved the look of these pens and have wanted to try one Thank you very much for the chance to win one. ^^

Thanks

Please consider me entered! Looks like a decently wet writer. I don't mind an EF unless it's dry... yuck.

Thanks

Excellent Review

Kaweco's are great, but this pen is so small!!!! I Like :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

This is the kind of pen secret agents swallow in case of dire emergencies. If I do win it I'll post video.

Thanks

Enter me, please! Thanks also for the thorough review! I do love EF nibs...

Thanks

Thanks for the great review and bringing this pen to our attention. Please enter me in for the giveaway, I usually write with a M nib but I'd love the opportunity to try out an EF nib. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkys.Brain View Post
    Nice review, but somehow the handwritten part does not look like an Kaweco EF too me. It almost looks like an M nib...°_°?
    Quote Originally Posted by xwingrox View Post
    Hi, I'd also like to be entered into the drawing. I also found the handwritten part a little suspicious: my Kaweco blue carts were never that saturated nor did my XF Kaweco Al Sport write so broadly. All in all a good review though.
    It was sitting in my pen case, nib down and in a warm room (it got in the 90's F!) for the weekend. That probably explains the saturation/wider line. A good test though, no leaks in the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by John the Monkey View Post
    Great review! Didn't Brad from Pen Addict have one of these?
    Yup, he did mention it in his podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
    A very interesting fountain pen, how does the EF nib compared to an F nib? (If you have both).
    Also, do you find the threads on the pen irritating?
    Thanks for the review!
    I do have an F nib but I need to install it on my Classic Sport. I have been using my 1.1 mm with it as of late and don't exaclty remember the line width of the F nib. I'll post a comparison later tonight. I don't find the threads bother me when holding the pen. The only beef I have with them is the 5 twists to open the cap, hunting for the threads to post the cap then doing another 5 twists to post it. By the time you have opened the pen, posted it and then put the pen away, you have twisted the cap around 20 times.

Thanks

Great review and what a great looking pen. PLEASE enter me into the drawing. 8^) I would love to be able to use the pen at school.
    Thanks!

Thanks

Wow! That's the first time I've seen it next to the Sport. I knew it was small but wow! Thanks for the review and the great pictures!