Thread: Do all Esterbrook nibs screw out of the section?

Thanks

Default Do all Esterbrook nibs screw out of the section?

I have an Esterbrook J with a 2668 nib and an Eight-ball desk pen with a 9556 nib. I would like to swap them, but I don't know if I can. I know that the nib on the J screws out, but the desk pen nib seems to be friction fit. I was always under the impression that all the Esterbrook nibs screwed in. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Thanks

Default Re: Do all Esterbrook nibs screw out of the section?

My Esterbrook desk pen nib screws out. Should be an easy swap with any other interchangeable Esterbrook nib. If it's not unscrewing, maybe it's locked in with dried-up ink...try soaking it for a while and see if that helps.
    Larry

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Snargle For This Useful Post:

Mr. JW (January 29th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

AFAIK, there is only one instance of non-threaded nibs, and this is in a particular style Dip-Less desk pen. The nibs are marked starting with a "5" - the two pens I have both are 5668 (standard medium), and I've seen reference to 5556 (firm fine). There are no threads, and they are just friction fit into the desk pens. They would never work with standard Esterbrook pens as there is no channel in the feed to allow ink to flow in from the sac.

If you have a 9556, it definitely is threaded. As suggested, try soaking. If plain water doesn't loosen it, you can try a solution of water:ammonia in a 10:1 ratio, and if that doesn't budge it (be patient), the next step would be to try an ultrasonic cleaner. I have a good idea that a moderate amount of soaking should do it. Be sure to grip both the nib and feed as you try to remove it, to avoid breaking the feed; some "spider mat" or other gripper material will help have a secure grip on the nib without undue force.

Good luck!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Jeph (January 29th, 2014), Mr. JW (January 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I soaked the pen overnight as recommended. I can get the nib and the feed out, but there appears to be a piece left behind in the section. Is this the collar? If so, any idea how I can get that out? Thanks again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JW View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I soaked the pen overnight as recommended. I can get the nib and the feed out, but there appears to be a piece left behind in the section. Is this the collar? If so, any idea how I can get that out? Thanks again.
    The nib, feed and holder should have screwed out as one unit not pulled out of the nib/feed holder. Did you try to unscrew the nib and feed or pulled it out. The only suggestion I can offer is to put nib and feed back into the holder and try turning the nib, feed and holder as one unit.

Other than that another member with more experience may help.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

The collar will only come out with the nib and feed inserted. Hold the nib/feed flat between your fingers (IE so pressing them together, not across the wings of the nib) and turn. Remember lefty-loosy, righty-tighty. The whole unit should unscrew out. Unless someone didnt' know what they were doing and glued the collar in there. I'd imagine that's pretty rare. Do not pull. Turn.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (January 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Thanks again to all. I tried to remove the nib by turning it just as I had to remove the nib from my Esterbrook J (which unscrewed intact without issue). When I turned the nib/feed of the desk pen, the nib and feed (no collar) started to come out. I really hope that the collar isn't glued into the section.

Thanks

Besides being glued in, there is a chance that section shrank.
    I have a M2 where the section shrank onto the nib, locking the collar in. I had to dig the collar out, piece by tiny piece.

But first I would put the nib and feed back in, push it in well to seat the feed and nib in the collar, then try to turn it.
    Try soaking it nib down in a glass for a few days. The gap between the collar and section is pretty small, so it could take a while to disolve the ink cementing the collar into the section.
    If that does not work, you may have to use a USC to blast out the dried ink that could be cementing the collar into the section.
    I hope it does not come down to digging the collar out.

Thanks

Update: Last night I tried again by applying very gentle pressure to the nib/feed as I carefully turned them to the left. Still only the nib and feed came out. So I carefully turned the collar and it worked free. I was able to get the collar out and swap the nib into the J by reversing the process. The J seems to be working fine with the new nib. Thanks again for all the help.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. JW For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (January 30th, 2014), Jeph (January 30th, 2014), Jon Szanto (January 30th, 2014), Snargle (January 30th, 2014)

Thanks

Phaeton nicht.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Great news! I'm glad it all turned out well in the end.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Phaeton nicht.

I was going to just answer "No."

Your answer is more correct, but equally unhelpful.

Great minds ...