Thread: Sailor Imperial Black Pro Gear

Non-participant
    Thanks

Default Sailor Imperial Black Pro Gear

Hi Guys and Gals, here's a few pics of a recent acquisition - an F nibbed Sailor Imperial Black Pro Gear courtesy of Taizo (Engeika) - no affiliation, etc. I'm quite stoked with the appearance of this pen.

Imperial Black Pro Gear (1).jpg

Imperial Black Pro Gear (2).jpg

Imperial Black Pro Gear (3).jpg

Imperial Black Pro Gear (4).jpg

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

00Photo (January 29th, 2014), Aleks (February 24th, 2014), Bogon07 (January 28th, 2014), cwent2 (January 28th, 2014), earthdawn (January 28th, 2014), Jeph (January 29th, 2014), kaisnowbird (January 30th, 2014), KrazyIvan (January 30th, 2014), migo984 (January 29th, 2014), reprieve (January 29th, 2014), velo (January 29th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Default Re: Sailor Imperial Black Pro Gear

Absolutely scrumptious pictures.
    Bloody Hell now I'm looking at Japanese pens.
    As the Italians weren't enough already.

The more I look at the Imperial Black the more I like it.
    And there is even a big cat on the poster, however I can't help thinking a black panther or jaguar would be more appropriate.

20130706_2e7a61.jpg

sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Bloody Hell now I'm looking at Japanese pens.
    Nothing wrong with that - and that's coming from someone who loves Stilographica Italia himself. But that Pro Gear does purr, so the imagery isn't far from the truth.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (January 30th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

I met up with Ed Jelley not long ago and got to try this pen. Really sharp looking pen in person and it writes VERY well. I mean every Sailor I have ever tried writes magnificent but this pen felt great in the hand as well.

Very very nice.

Whats amazing is the price difference if you buy it from a seller in Japan compared to the prices from retailers in the US.... I do have this on my list of pens to get this year.

Congrats on a fantastic pen!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Murfie (January 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Wow, that does look even better in your pictures that the other pictures I have seen. And it looks better yet in person?
    And does the F write like earthdawn describes?
    Earthdawn was the pen you tried a F?
    Does the F really write a .3 mm line?
    Do you want to figure out how to get enough money into my wallet to buy myself one?
    Do...nevermind got excited there for a moment. I have been itching to try a Japanese pen and I always manage to talk myself out of it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    Wow, that does look even better in your pictures that the other pictures I have seen. And it looks better yet in person?
    And does the F write like earthdawn describes?
    Earthdawn was the pen you tried a F?
    Does the F really write a .3 mm line?
    Do you want to figure out how to get enough money into my wallet to buy myself one?
    Do...nevermind got excited there for a moment. I have been itching to try a Japanese pen and I always manage to talk myself out of it.
    It was a broad I got to try. Pretty wet writer.

I have a Sapporo with a H-EF nib that was tweaked by Mike Masuyama and it is a FINE line for sure but he's really got the perfect ink flow and smoothness set just right. It is an exceptional pen for taking notes at meetings.

The black-out look of the pen really does show well in person. As well the feel of the matte finish is really nice.

PS... When I said "This Pen" I meant the one a friend has not Murfies Sailor ... sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by earthdawn; January 29th, 2014 at 10:12 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Jeph (January 29th, 2014)

Thanks

Love this pen. Straight ninja. I've been trying to hold off buying one until I visit Japan later this year.

Murfie how do you find the size? I've read reviews that mention the smallish dimensions. How would you compare it to say a Lamy safari?

ps. engeika has the cheapest online price I've found.

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    Murfie how do you find the size? I've read reviews that mention the smallish dimensions. How would you compare it to say a Lamy safari?
    To a Safari it is slightly thicker in the section, a little shorter, but I use my Pro Gears uncapped, so it isn't too short. No comparison nib wise as the Sailor has a firm 21kt gold nib with a sensitivity not found in a steel nib, and usually a richer ink flow out of the box than what you would get with the Lamy. But then again, in fairness to the Lamy, it costs about eight times more than a Safari. It gets to be a purely subjective opinion whether one is a better buy than the other. Personally I think the Pro Gears are pretty special, and that's why I have three of them, but they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

velo (January 30th, 2014)

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    Does the F really write a .3 mm line.
    Sure does. It is really a true EF, but of all my EF nibbed pens, this one performs the best in regards to ink flow and sensitivity on the paper. While the nib is marked H-F for a firm fine, the 21kt gold allows a bit of give and it has nothing like the rigidity of a typical steel nib.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Murfie For This Useful Post:

Jeph (January 29th, 2014)

Thanks

I'm one day late to the party and nearly missed this stealthy one!

Congratulations buddy. This is seriously cool - it's what a black pen should look like. If the standard black Pro Gear is a gentleman in tux, then this is total awesome ninja .

That true Japanese Fine nib is a work of art.

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    I was starting to get concerned for your welfare, Kai. Usually a Sailor heads-up grabs your instant attention.

Yes, the pen writes as good as it looks. I put some Diamine Raw Sienna in it at the outset, and now it's full of Diamine Sargasso Sea - that rich, deep, purple blue. I'm surprised about the soft feel of the nib even though it is an H-F.

Thanks

I have a sailor professional gear slim. Is this the same pen in stealth black and larger? Also seems sailor nibs mandate a slightly different angle to perform well? Or is that just my perception?
    Using Tapatalk

Non-participant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oncdoc View Post
    I have a sailor professional gear slim. Is this the same pen in stealth black and larger? Also seems sailor nibs mandate a slightly different angle to perform well? Or is that just my perception?
    Your Pro Gear slim is a slightly smaller pen than this one, which is the full size Pro Gear. The Imperial Black is not available in the slim size to my knowledge. I can't write with a slim model uncapped, but I can with the full size Pro Gear, but it is still not considered a large pen.

On your second question, I have over 200 fountain pens and half a dozen Sailors. It has never struck me that I need to change any writing angles when I'm using one of them. However, you could have a particular personal angle at which you write where an adjustment might be needed. I have a fairly flat angle of attach (not much more than 50°). Perhaps if you use a steeper angle then the Sailor nibs might be problematic, but I can't verify that statement. Maybe another member could give you guidance on that feature.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murfie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    I was starting to get concerned for your welfare, Kai. Usually a Sailor heads-up grabs your instant attention.

Yes, the pen writes as good as it looks. I put some Diamine Raw Sienna in it at the outset, and now it's full of Diamine Sargasso Sea - that rich, deep, purple blue. I'm surprised about the soft feel of the nib even though it is an H-F.
    Very good to hear that the H-F has a soft feel. It's different from my limited experience and a pleasant bonus.

I've been really busy at work for the last few days and Chinese New Year is always eventful for me too - shopping cooking and trying to keep my weight under control from all the comfort food. Bought a new pen today (have posted a pic in the new acquisition thread). Even though it was kind of a bargain, with the other purchases currently in train, I've over-spent my February pen budget already, which has never happened before, and it feels good!

Sorry to de-rail this thread.
    Last edited by kaisnowbird; January 31st, 2014 at 08:10 AM.