Thread: Deccan Ambassador

Thanks

Default Deccan Ambassador - partial review

The Deccan Ambassador is a handmade Indian pen that intrigued me for a while. I finally picked one up and wanted to share some thoughts...

$50 from Fountain pen revolution (I picked up mine on a 25% off sale)
    Sorry for the quality of the pictures. I kill cameras just by being in the room with them and my desk is rather… in need of resurfacing?

Nib comparison: TWSBI Vac 700 on left, Ambassador in middle, TWSBI 530 on right

General Observations:
    • length capped: 6 1/8”
    • length unposted: 5 3/8”
    • length posted: 7”
    • mass empty (.83 oz (23.5g))
    • Brushed ebonite finish
    • Eye dropper fill with an approximate 3mL capacity
    • Nib is marked Ambitious. Fairly smooth writing with very little flex.
    • Simple feed – very similar feed to what Airmail uses on their ED pens.
    • Has not burped or blurted or had any stray ink drops fling out of the pen despite the simple feed.
    • Many threads – it takes four turns of the cap to remove or replace
    • Even more threads - It takes 10.5 turns to open the pen for filling
    • The cap posts fairly well; however, it isn’t extremely secure if you don't press it on well.

Good things about this pen:
    • Large number of turns make the body seal secure and solid – just add some silicone grease and there are no worries about leaks there
    • It is a large pen and really feels good in my large hands.
    • I love the feel and texture of this pen. It feels much better than the perfectly smooth bodies of other pens. The section is still smooth, so the grip feel doesn’t change.
    • The pen can be written either posted or unposted. I found it more comfortable to write with the pen when posted. After being used to writing with it posted, I developed a bias and it felt weird to not use it posted.
    • I like this clip. I do not know why, but I like the clip.

Problems with this pen:
    • The cap threads do not always engage correctly and cross threading is a possible threat.
    • After sitting for a while (at least a few hours), the pen doesn’t start immediately. However, it starts within the space of a few letters.
    • When taking the pen apart to measure its capacity, I noticed a bunch of crud floating in the ink. Clean the pen out before using!
    • There is something about the section that isn't comfortable for my grip. It feels fine at first but then becomes uncomfortable after a page. At first I thought it was the diameter of section, but now I am not sure if it is the diameter or the diameter change across the section or something else entirely.

Overall, I do like this pen and I am trying to enjoy using the pen. It has problems, but I have been reaching for it each morning when I prepare for work. I think it has something to do with the unique texture. If the texture makes this much difference in a pen, I am even more tempted to try the Micarta.
    Last edited by etoyoc; April 30th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have seen these over at fountainpenrevolution.com but they are sold out. Love the look of the brushed ebonite.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot