Thread: Custom pen from Ken

Thanks

Default Custom pen from Ken

Hello guys,

This is my first review on FPG forum!
    This review is about a handmade pen I recently bought from Ken also known on FPN as drgoretex. This is my second pen from ken and I can say that I am really pleased with his service and with his products.
    On Christmas I had ordered a custom fountain pen made out of cat’s eye acrylic (whose review you can read on FPN). Two months ago while I was browsing his pen gallery on photobucket I noticed that his Available for purchase file had one pen, a really nice pen made of red and black Lucite in order to model ebonite without its drawbacks. So I emailed him and made the pen mine.
    The pen arrived a week later well packed and secure. The pen featured a JoWo steel nib like the one you find on Edison pens but without the logo. Ken always tunes and test writes every pen he makes, I didn’t thought that it was necessary because I wanted to grind the nib to an italic, well things didn’t go well and I am now waiting for a nib replacement.
    The pen is made of lucite a material which to me feels like acrylic. It has a red black pattern, the one you see on mottled red and black ebonite pens, so the good thing is that you don’t have to worry about sunlight but you don’t get the warm feeling you are getting with ebonite.
    The nib I am using is a JoWo fine steel nib the one that came with my first pen from Ken and it writes wonderfully like my Edison Premiere’s nib . One last thing to note is that the pen needs only ¾ of a turn to uncap unlike many Indian eyedroppers.
    So to sum up, the pen is extremely well made, it is beautiful and writes well, what more can I ask for?

f0f185bc.jpg
    db5fbd3a.jpg
    7ac2fed5.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Thank you for posting. Very nice pen! I am familiar with Ken's work first hand and I can say his work is excellent.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

That looks like the pen that I have on order, due in May; A Red/Black Ebonite. I can't wait!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

That red and black Lucite has a gorgeous marbling effect on the pen. Like those endpapers and edges in swank journals.
    Handy that the cap only needs less than a turn to attach or remove.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"