Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamy Stub Nib

Thanks

Default Lamy Stub Nib

I want to try a pen with a stub nib. I normally write with a fine point nib. What can I expect using Lamy stub nib?

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

MisterBoll

Default Re: Lamy Stub Nib

The line will be wide on the downstroke and thin on the sidestroke.

This, of course, could change depending on how you hold the pen and the orientation of the nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,648 Posts

My stub nibs make it look like I have decent penmanship compared to my fine point scribbly look...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

They definitely improve one's handwriting! It's a scientific fact.

Exhibit A:

5. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (February 5th, 2014), everybodylovesbacon (February 5th, 2014), I like mango pudding (February 15th, 2014), kaisnowbird (February 3rd, 2014), klpeabody (February 5th, 2014), KrazyIvan (February 4th, 2014), Lady Onogaro (February 4th, 2014), neillmot (February 7th, 2014), Sailor Kenshin (February 17th, 2014), TerraNoir (February 4th, 2014), VertOlive (February 3rd, 2014), Willieboy (January 18th, 2015)

MisterBoll

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    It makes sense to stay away from any nib smaller than a Broad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I bought a 1.5 stub nib when I got my Lamy Joy, but I found it impractical for the kind of writing I wanted to do with it (basically, I just wanted to have pretty writing with a less scratchy nib than the Plumix). So I bought a 1.1 nib, and that's just right for me. But it is nice to have the 1.5 on hand if I want to change it out.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (February 4th, 2014), everybodylovesbacon (February 5th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I resemble that remark (with respect to the scribbly handwriting).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Has anyone used the OB nib? I'm thinking of getting that or another 1.1 italic. I've come to realise I prefer the italics to the stub nibs on my other pens.

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post

Exhibit A:
    I`d hate to see how a F or EF would look

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by velo View Post
    Has anyone used the OB nib? I'm thinking of getting that or another 1.1 italic. I've come to realise I prefer the italics to the stub nibs on my other pens.
    I have an OB 146. I`d say start with a standard 1.1 stub first. It takes a while to get used to a OB nib. You write a bit differently than with a typical nib

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like mango pudding For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (February 15th, 2014), velo (February 17th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

I think a 1.1 is a great place to start. An extra Lamy nib is not a big investment so it's a safe bet IMO.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

00Photo (February 16th, 2014)

Thanks

I have a 1.1 on my Al Star - replaced the fine and it hasn't been put back in months.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

MisterBoll

I've found the Lamy OB nib not that smooth and not that easy to write with - this being on a rather dry Safari.
    I have several other pens with OB and OBB nibs that are write wonderfully.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterBoll For This Useful Post:

velo (February 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I like mango pudding View Post
    I have an OB 146. I`d say start with a standard 1.1 stub first. It takes a while to get used to a OB nib. You write a bit differently than with a typical nib
    Oh I have the Lamy 1.1 and the 1.5 already. I've got a 1.1 stub on my twsbi and a goulet 1.1 stub on another pen. Just looking to try other things.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterBoll View Post
    I've found the Lamy OB nib not that smooth and not that easy to write with - this being on a rather dry Safari.
    I have several other pens with OB and OBB nibs that are write wonderfully.
    Cheers. I might just try it out anyway. I've got some micromesh that'll smooth it out if needed.

I was more interested in the kind of line variation an OB gives as opposed to italics and stubs.

Thanks

OB nib is much the same as a regular B nib. I get the same line variation from both.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to I like mango pudding For This Useful Post:

velo (February 18th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

OB (or OBB, or OM, or OF) are not meant for line variation like a stub or italic. Oblique nibs are for those of us (I'm one) who naturally rotate our pens when writing. With a regular nib I have to work to keep it at the correct angle to the paper, I end up writing with the side of the nib. And oblique nib allows me to write comfortably and have the correct part of the nib touching the paper.

Because iridium tips used to be so flat antique wide obliques will give you line variation a bit like a modern stub. But that wasn't their purpose. A modern oblique with very round iridium will give you no more line variation (in general) than the same size nib in a regular grind. So if you don't rotate your pens don't go buying an oblique nib.

For line variation, but a stub or cursive italic. (Unless you realize you've been rotating your pens, then by all means, get the oblique that is right for the way you rotate your pens, both directions are available, right or left foot depending on if you rotate in or out and which handed you are.) There is a great page on nibs.com or richardspens.com about the difference between oblique and italic nibs and now I can't find it for the life of me! Help, someone have the link?
    Last edited by tandaina; February 17th, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (February 17th, 2014), velo (February 18th, 2014)

Thanks

I had an OB in my 26P.
    But I just could not get the hang of the nib.
    IF it was an oblique italic or stub nib, maybe I could deal with it, but not a broad nib. I did not get enough line variation from it. So I replaced it with a normal F nib.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ac12 For This Useful Post:

MisterBoll

Cheers. I might just try it out anyway. I've got some micromesh that'll smooth it out if needed.

I was more interested in the kind of line variation an OB gives as opposed to italics and stubs.
    You can get line variation out of an OB nib but it is not like that of an italic or stub. It is also slight.

Let me know how you get on with the Lamy one should you take that route. I love oblique nibs but the Lamy was not for me.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MisterBoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    OB (or OBB, or OM, or OF) are not meant for line variation like a stub or italic. Oblique nibs are for those of us (I'm one) who naturally rotate our pens when writing. With a regular nib I have to work to keep it at the correct angle to the paper, I end up writing with the side of the nib. And oblique nib allows me to write comfortably and have the correct part of the nib touching the paper.

Because iridium tips used to be so flat antique wide obliques will give you line variation a bit like a modern stub. But that wasn't their purpose. A modern oblique with very round iridium will give you no more line variation (in general) than the same size nib in a regular grind. So if you don't rotate your pens don't go buying an oblique nib.

For line variation, but a stub or cursive italic. (Unless you realize you've been rotating your pens, then by all means, get the oblique that is right for the way you rotate your pens, both directions are available, right or left foot depending on if you rotate in or out and which handed you are.) There is a great page on nibs.com or richardspens.com about the difference between oblique and italic nibs and now I can't find it for the life of me! Help, someone have the link?
    Hi Velo,
    I second tandaina's comments above. I had a OM nib in my Lamy 2K and it was FAT. The line width was no less than a B and the line variation was practically not there. If you like italics and stubs, then an OB (especially from Lamy) is a totally different beast.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post: