Thread: Can you recommend a converter for Sheaffer Legacy?

Thanks

Question Can you recommend a converter for Sheaffer Legacy?

I have an old plain black Sheaffer Legacy, all black with the gold clip and gold band around cap opening,
    14K f Lifetime nib.
    Problem is, it uses an unmarked squeeze converter that is a press-fit, that doesn't sit very cooperatively on the section,
    and often gets caught in the barrel so that when I unscrew it the converter comes off of the section and has to be
    encouraged to get out of the barrel. It also leaks enough to get the section tacky,
    and this can be a problem when wearing nice clothes or handling important papers.

What's a good converter for use with this pen?

Can I do something to this converter to get it to fit more securely on the section?
    (Assume I don't have any special tools or supplies.)

IMG_3746.JPGIMG_3747.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Si nous résistons à nos passions, c'est plus par leur faiblesse que par notre force.”
    -- François de La Rochefoucauld

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Can you recommend a converter for Sheaffer Legacy?

First, that is not a Sheaffer Legacy but rather the Imperial Triumph Lifetime cartridge pen.

The Sheaffer squeeze converter MAY fit but that's about it.

Also look inside the barrel and make sure there is no build up of dried ink.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Avi R. (February 5th, 2014), Jeph (February 5th, 2014)

Thanks

Thanks for the identity correction, jar.
    My dad gave me this pen around 1980, and I think it was a replacement-under-warranty for an earlier one he had,
    so I thought he'd had it for only a couple of years and gave it to me because he didn't like it as much as the one he actually bought.
    Maybe it's older than I imagined.
    “Si nous résistons à nos passions, c'est plus par leur faiblesse que par notre force.”
    -- François de La Rochefoucauld

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Avi R. View Post
    Thanks for the identity correction, jar.
    My dad gave me this pen around 1980, and I think it was a replacement-under-warranty for an earlier one he had,
    so I thought he'd had it for only a couple of years and gave it to me because he didn't like it as much as the one he actually bought.
    Maybe it's older than I imagined.
    That model was generally available from the mid 60s through the early 70s but yes, it was used as a warranty replacement pen, I have a black one like yours that Sheaffer sent me when they said they could not repair my plunger style Balance that had been my grandfathers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    That model was generally available from the mid 60s through the early 70s but yes, it was used as a warranty replacement pen, I have a black one like yours that Sheaffer sent me when they said they could not repair my plunger style Balance that had been my grandfathers.
    Wait, what? That's a lousy trade! Please tell me they sent the broken Balance back to you as well, and you've since sent it to a restorer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by opus7600 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Wait, what? That's a lousy trade! Please tell me they sent the broken Balance back to you as well, and you've since sent it to a restorer.
    Of course they returned the Balance and yes, it was restored about a half-century ago and is still working jess fine.