Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So how about those Parker 51s?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Default Re: So how about those Parker 51s?

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    Ah, the Ralph Prather pens. Very beautiful pens. Glenn-SC from FPN has some very, very nice ones.

Last time I looked, they start about $700. I might be addicted to pens, but not that addicted. They are beautiful. They seem to be all vac 51s. Lets ne out. I like the standard 51 aero best anyway, and with a Lustraloy cap. For many years that was the only pen in which I had any interest. Then I found MB and broadened.
    If anyone is interested they should talk to Ralph. That's not what I paid. But I don't really want to get into price, because that's Ralph's business. Also because I feel a certain criticism about the price in one or two of the comments (not by you), which I don't really understand. No one would criticize me if I spent the same money on an aka-tamenuri Nakaya portable writer. To me, the Prather is a special pen and I'm glad I was the lucky one to get it.

Anyway, I too prefer the aero but I think the vacumatic 51 is the more impressive technical design, and I'm glad to have a few, including the Prather. I'm also glad Edison is reviving that filling system and bringing it into the 21st century. I also like my MBs. Great pens, too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lisantica View Post
    Here's a Kullock I picked up at the LA show on Sunday.
    That's so pretty, Lisa!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

lisantica (February 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Stay tuned for, no joke, Paul Rossi 51's.

regards

David
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Also because I feel a certain criticism about the price in one or two of the comments (not by you), which I don't really understand.
    I can only guess that my comment might be the "or two" here. It actually bothers me a little that anyone might take it as criticism, or even that such pens were not "worth it". My point was only that price and quality expectations are correlated, not that any cost might be too high. Yeah, sure, I chuckled when I saw the Montegrappa Chaos LE pen, but I'm not proud of it.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Also because I feel a certain criticism about the price in one or two of the comments (not by you), which I don't really understand.
    I can only guess that my comment might be the "or two" here. It actually bothers me a little that anyone might take it as criticism, or even that such pens were not "worth it". My point was only that price and quality expectations are correlated, not that any cost might be too high. Yeah, sure, I chuckled when I saw the Montegrappa Chaos LE pen, but I'm not proud of it.
    I understand. You've always seemed like a nice guy. I think I responded to your comment earlier. I just find it interesting -- remarkable in the literal sense of the word -- that the only pen that has moved people to comment in recent days about price is the Ralph Prather. I only took the trouble to photograph it and post it so people could see it. You don't see too many of these. I didn't mean to draw criticism -- even if back-handed -- of it. I certainly didn't mention the price. Yes, I've spent less, but I've spent more, and ironically this is one of the pens that I never doubted gave me my money's worth.

But why didn't anyone ask what the Kullocks cost? It does make me feel a little defensive and regretful, I guess. As if I shouldn't have put up these photos. But then there are lots of contemporaneous threads in which people are showing pens (and multiple pens) that cost more than the Prather, and everyone is saying "how nice." As they should. So why does this one draw other comments? It does make me wonder, academically.

Anyway, I'm dealing with a horrible virus and complications that have me in pain and all medicated up, and not my usual self, so I think I probably should just bow out of this thread. It should be about Parker 51s. I could have photographed my Plum 51 -- only $40 -- but honestly I don't like that nearly as much, or use it ever.

The Chaos, which I've seen in person as well as in photographs, is not my thing, but that's a matter of taste, not price. If someone showed me theirs I'd be interested.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I hope you feel better soon, Laura.

I'm glad you posted the Prather; it's a beauty.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

The Chaos, which I've seen in person as well as in photographs, is not my thing, but that's a matter of taste, not price. If someone showed me theirs I'd be interested.
    Oh, hell, yes. There's a lot of detail to explore, with bling. I think it was the marketing, complete with Sly's smirking countenance, that elicited a chuckle.

That, and that the complex profile would make it unpleasant to carry and probably to write with.

FWIW, I'm also glad you posted the picture of the Prather.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Laura, if you are still with us, don't give it a second thought. Pen values are ephemeral and subjective things, and no one can say what the true value of the pen is to you but you. I enjoyed seeing the Prather, as I believe all I've ever seen before were metal caps and bodies. My initial thought was "that's a lot of money for a new acrylic body", but I know there is more to it than that. A unique item and, as I mention when I posted, one of the only 51s I'd consider owning. I've yet to see a stock 51 that makes me want to pay money for it, but that's just me.

I hope you feel better soon. I've been on pain meds since Tuesday, but finally today was able to back off to half doses, and it is like a fog lifting. A pleasant fog, mind you, but nonetheless...

Get well soon!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

reprieve (February 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

Your P51 meets Lamy2000 reminds me of God and Adam on the Sistine Chapel ceiling...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

reprieve (February 23rd, 2014)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Laura, if you are still with us, don't give it a second thought. Pen values are ephemeral and subjective things, and no one can say what the true value of the pen is to you but you. I enjoyed seeing the Prather. . . .
    Very well said, Jon.

I'm also glad that Laura posted her photos. It's a unique pen, and certainly very eye-catching.

Thanks

I'm intrigued seeing all these 51s. I have a few standard versions but never really considered these custom versions.

Turn away now. I need to turn away now...
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

Thanks

I will get a Kullock cap one of these days. I bought an aero pen shell of his from ebay and the overall dimensions seem a bit off. The cap doesn't post as deep as a stock 51, it seems a bit more narrow at the clutch ring, and hood tip just seems...off like it's thicker. These aren't deal breakers, the pen works, just me being picky. The caps look awesome though.

Thanks

I have one of Minuskin's stub 51 nibs. When the second 51 Vac it was in had sac failure, I put it in a midnight blue aerometric 51. It's a very nice nib with plenty of tipping on top so I can turn it over and get more line variation. You are right, mhosea, these are worth some trouble to get one.

-----------------

The Kullock parts are variable, and I have found that the lower priced ones seem like seconds. Still, I like them. I like his Kama Sutra cap, the apple green 51 I have with a gold filled hammered cap, the amethyst double jewel aero, the swirly yellow fountain and ballpoint and the occasional spare cap or hood I have bought from him.
    Last edited by pajaro; March 10th, 2014 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks

I ponied up some more dough and bought another Kullock replacement barrel and hood (blue centennial), this one at a higher price point. It fits better. The barrel was closer to optimal, and the hood was long enough...barely. Actually I would still say the OD of the hood is slightly small at the clutch ring, and it really could stand to be a tenth or two of a millimeter longer, which required me to do some extra work. I do like the look of it, though, and this set reaches my "good enough" threshold. Right now instead of the heavily brassed gold-filled 51 cap that came with the pen, I have a Parker VS cap on it. I like that a lot, as I have never liked the look of the arrow clips. I wish I could say that I liked Parker 51's very much. I don't. But this one can be my lone '51. It can stay.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Does anyone know where to buy Kullock caps? He only sells them with a pen on ebay and I can't make a pen show.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heraclitus682 View Post
    Does anyone know where to buy Kullock caps? He only sells them with a pen on ebay and I can't make a pen show.
    I have a couple at home.

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

Thanks

love the 51s with interesting materials.
    Be Here Now

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by heraclitus682 View Post
    I have a couple at home.

regards

david

Are they for sale?

Thanks

They will be, when I find 'em.

One is Batman (really!)

The other iirc an image from an artist whose name escapes me (very flowing/organic design).

I sold the Star Wars a few years back

regards

d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

David, If it art nouveau please post a pic.
    Be Here Now