Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Los Angeles Pen Show Feb 2014. Booty Shots.

Thanks

Default Re: Los Angeles Pen Show Feb 2014. Booty Shots.

I know nothing about American pens as I do not collect them. However, I loved the look of those Sheaffer striated pens. Are they all celluloid?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by orfew View Post
    I know nothing about American pens as I do not collect them. However, I loved the look of those Sheaffer striated pens. Are they all celluloid?
    Hi,

Yep, the striated Sheaffers are Celluloid.

regards

David
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

Thanks

Final major LA Pen Show (2014, Feb) Booty Shot. Pretty much the best. Counting the pre-show Janesville Hoard I bought the day before leaving for LA, I pulled in probably 140 pens in three days. No complaints.

Advanced pens in some cases. Mostly my usual 1920's-1940's Celluloid, but a few moderns too. I'll offer some tidbits of info here.

Left to Right.

1. MB 146 Modern. Hey, I don't seek these, but they sell like hotcakes so I also don't turn 'em down.
    2. Gold Bond Women's Pearl set. You might want to subscribe to PENnant Magazine, as this pen will be featured (Fate! I wrote the article now I have the pen) in Part 2 of Pens from the Monkey Ward.
    3. Gold Bond "Popular Size". Also in next issue PENnant
    4. Wardrite. Made by the same maker of the prior two Gold Bond pens, also a brand of the Monkey Ward.
    5. Gold Bond (streamlined, "platinum" Celluloid). One of the neatest period pens I've seen, evoking some of the European pens from that era. I have several in this style.
    6. Delta Dolce Vita. Part of another small collection purchased at the show. Hey, at least it has Princeton colors.
    7. Parker... Vacumatic? Look carefully
    8. Parker.... Challenger? Look carefully
    9. Parker... Vacumatic? Look carefully
    10. Parker 51. Nice green color with pretty two tone gold cap with stalagmite pattern. There must be a name for this...
    11. Mabie Todd (Quality Brand during the heyday for old pens) in pale Jade Celluloid. As mint.
    12. A monster. Schnell Penselpen oversized, black and bronze Celluloid. Known to those who know, this series, short lived, from a man who worked with some of the great pen makers of that era, has significant cachet for seasoned collectors
    13. Parker Vacumatic scarce "1.5th" Generation Standard. Kosher, not a mix
    14. Parker Vacumatic Senior Maxima. Black.
    15. Parker Vacumatic Senior. A scarce model. Emerald Pearl
    16. Parker Duofold Senior. Seafoam Green. Excellent condition (uncommon that way) and featuring a very scarce double broad stub nib.
    17. Parker Duofold Senior. Moderne Black and Pearl. Excellent color preservation (most are far more heavily ambered)
    18. Parker Duofold Senior set. Jade. Superb color (one in a hundred).

regards

david
    Last edited by david i; February 23rd, 2014 at 04:42 PM.
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

dannzeman (February 23rd, 2014)

Thanks

And, in view of some of the discussion here about pen prices at pens shows, I've offered "Dynamics of the Pen Show", a rapidly cobbled primer on some of the ins and outs of pen show play. I must tweak it before it becomes a profile at Vacumania.

Here be the link. I think Dan pinned it to top of the Pen Show Forum here.

regards

d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

Thanks

Finally, a quick shot and a link. Formally not part of the LA Pen SHow (feb 2014) finds, I bought the following folder full of pens one day before I left Janesville (home of Parker, where I spend part of each month) for the LA Pen SHow. The story is at the provided link here at FPG.

Link-- My Second Janesville Pen Hoard---Link

I've also added just the quick-n-dirty shot I did on the fly at the show. This wasn't done in my light tent

David R. Isaacson, MD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

dannzeman (February 23rd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Tarshis View Post
    Yes. I am with Loren on this. When I read the phrase "booty shots" I am not expecting to see pictures of pens. And, as between two kinds of eye candy, I prefer what I had in mind.
    Obviously not enough pirates in your upbringing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

LunaAzurina (March 4th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    And, in view of some of the discussion here about pen prices at pens shows, I've offered "Dynamics of the Pen Show", a rapidly cobbled primer on some of the ins and outs of pen show play. I must tweak it before it becomes a profile at Vacumania.

Here be the link. I think Dan pinned it to top of the Pen Show Forum here.

regards

d
    David I very much enjoyed reading your article. Thank you.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Tarshis View Post
    Yes. I am with Loren on this. When I read the phrase "booty shots" I am not expecting to see pictures of pens. And, as between two kinds of eye candy, I prefer what I had in mind.
    Obviously not enough pirates in your upbringing.
    The somewhat entertaining and ironic element to this situation is that my quite appropriate usage of "booty" likely has been around centuries longer than the TMZ sort

-d
    David R. Isaacson, MD

12. The Following User Says Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

lsmith42 (March 2nd, 2014)