Thread: A Very Individual Script

Thanks

Default A Very Individual Script

Calligraphic Design - www.kenfrasercalligrapher.com

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to caliken For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (March 24th, 2014), caribbean_skye (February 19th, 2014), chojo (February 19th, 2014), Cob (June 10th, 2014), Crazyorange (April 25th, 2015), inlovewithjournals (February 19th, 2014), Jeph (February 19th, 2014), Jon Szanto (February 19th, 2014), Lady Onogaro (March 23rd, 2014), Marsilius (June 5th, 2014), Neo (April 25th, 2015), nigh means near (April 4th, 2014), rgperedo (May 17th, 2014), Tracy Lee (March 23rd, 2014), ypsilanti (February 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: A Very Individual Script

Thanks for the post, Ken. I am curious to know: how many different styles of calligraphy have you learned?

Thanks

Glorious work as always Ken thanks for sharing.

Thanks

Robert,

I've never really counted them.

As far as I'm concerned, it's fairly straightforward.

IMO it's best first, to learn basic scripts with the three basic types of nib. For example 'Business Writing' with rigid pointed nibs, (as in most fountain pens); 'Italic' with edged nibs, and 'Copperplate' with pointed flex nibs.

I know that it can take some time to become really comfortable with the three types of nib, but once the hand is fully familiar with using them, from then on it's just a matter of careful observation and copying and it's really just as possible to write fifty style variations as five.

I don't pretend to have memorised dozens of styles of scripts and, if I'm writing something out in a style I haven't used for a while, I usually have an example to hand, to refresh my memory as necessary. What I NEVER do. is mix styles in a single piece of writing. In my experience this never works and usually looks awful.

Incidentally, for anyone wanting to develop a personal style of Italic, for example, it's far better to learn the style properly in the first place and then as your writing develops speed as you use it, so little personal traits will emerge, giving your writing character and reflecting your personality.

Ken

Thanks for the appreciation, chojo.
    Last edited by caliken; February 21st, 2014 at 03:52 PM.

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to caliken For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

conib (February 21st, 2014), cwent2 (February 21st, 2014), Finalist (March 1st, 2014), imaginerhetoric (February 21st, 2014), jtanhw (May 7th, 2015), Lancaster (June 28th, 2015), luminesce (February 21st, 2014), Marsilius (June 5th, 2014), mtnbiker62 (February 21st, 2014), Robert (February 21st, 2014), sharmon202 (April 26th, 2015), ypsilanti (February 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Very very cool!

Would you say a big oart of this style is the descending aspects of the letters just below the baseline?
    Any keys to successfully using this style?
    -Ryan

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caliken View Post
    Robert,

I've never really counted them.

As far as I'm concerned, it's fairly straightforward.

IMO it's best first, to learn basic scripts with the three basic types of nib. For example 'Business Writing' with rigid pointed nibs, (as in most fountain pens); 'Italic' with edged nibs, and 'Copperplate' with pointed flex nibs.

I know that it can take some time to become really comfortable with the three types of nib, but once the hand is fully familiar with using them, from then on it's just a matter of careful observation and copying and it's really just as possible to write fifty style variations as five.

I don't pretend to have memorised dozens of styles of scripts and, if I'm writing something out in a style I haven't used for a while, I usually have an example to hand, to refresh my memory as necessary. What I NEVER do. is mix styles in a single piece of writing. In my experience this never works and usually looks awful.

Incidentally, for anyone wanting to develop a personal style of Italic, for example, it's far better to learn the style properly in the first place and then as your writing develops speed as you use it, so little personal traits will emerge, giving your writing character and reflecting your personality.

Ken

Thanks for the appreciation, chojo.
    Since writing this, last year, I've compiled a display of writing styles for my web site. Here it is.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to caliken For This Useful Post:

jtanhw (May 7th, 2015), rgperedo (April 26th, 2015), Robert (April 25th, 2015), sharmon202 (April 26th, 2015)

Thanks

Ken - - your talent never ceases to amaze. Thanks for the post.