Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What envelopes do you use with your Tomoe River paper?

Thanks

Default Re: What envelopes do you use with your Tomoe River paper?

I think, if I didn't make the envelopes, and Tomoe River doesn't have envelopes, I'd probably use the Original Crown Mill envelopes from the Goulets and fold my page to fit. Perfect size envelopes are hard to come by in the States if you aren't making them yourself. A google of sizes says the A4 can fit in a C6 envelope folded in quarters, and an A5 can fit folded in half. True or false? I'm thinking a trip to Goulets, and just fitting the page accordingly as their prices aren't over the top for a pack of 25 Original Crown Mill envelopes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kia View Post
    I think, if I didn't make the envelopes, and Tomoe River doesn't have envelopes, I'd probably use the Original Crown Mill envelopes from the Goulets and fold my page to fit. Perfect size envelopes are hard to come by in the States if you aren't making them yourself. A google of sizes says the A4 can fit in a C6 envelope folded in quarters, and an A5 can fit folded in half. True or false? I'm thinking a trip to Goulets, and just fitting the page accordingly as their prices aren't over the top for a pack of 25 Original Crown Mill envelopes.
    This is correct.

Thanks

When looking at American sized/sourced envelopes, an A5 sheet will fold in half into an American A-6 or 6-Bar envelope, both of which are 4.75 x 6.5 inches and sold as "social", "announcement", or "invitation" envelopes. The "A-6" designation is not related to the ISO paper sizes; the A stands for "Announcement". The "Bar" stands for Baronial, and is the same size with diagonal seams and pointed flap instead of the squared off flap characteristic of the A series.

The "A-2" invitation envelope is also a popular US size that will not fit A4/A5 sheets in any useful way.

Thanks

My apologies for giving false information not useful in this situation. I was going by UK sizes and not US sizes, an oversight on my part. Earthdawn's template from JetPens (Green Sneakers is not responding to messages so I would discount them), or another company with European paper, or a special order of envelopes from another source outside the US, may be the only way to go if not folding a page to fit an envelope at hand.
    Last edited by kia; March 11th, 2014 at 11:52 AM.

Thanks

I don't see where you gave any false information?

You were spot on when you advised that the Crown Mill envelopes from Goulet are a good fit for TR A4/A5 paper. I don't know about the color or texture, but the size is good; they are the ISO C6 size which I believe is specifically designed to fit the A series sizes of paper.

In the US, if you specifically see envelopes labelled with A-2 or A-6 (and some may forget the -) it is not an ISO size spec; it is an "Announcement" envelope spec that is possibly peculiar to the US, I'm not sure. Often the boxes of them in stores don't say "A-2" or "A-6" but just give the dimensions, even though they are one of those two sizes.

However, "C6" (or C# where # is any other number) doesn't conflict with any American standard name/size. Americans mostly won't know what it is, but it doesn't conflict with anything here either.

FWIW, the American "A-6" is just a bit larger than an ISO C6, and is a good size for ISO papers if you find it in a paper you like. The "A-2" is smaller than the C6, and not a good size for ISO A series papers.

And yes, I just did a lot of research into standard envelope sizes in the past couple weeks for reasons having nothing to do with this thread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mrcharlie For This Useful Post:

kia (March 11th, 2014)

Thanks

You did do a lot of digging. And thank you for the templates, too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharlie View Post
    I don't see where you gave any false information?

You were spot on when you advised that the Crown Mill envelopes from Goulet are a good fit for TR A4/A5 paper. I don't know about the color or texture, but the size is good; they are the ISO C6 size which I believe is specifically designed to fit the A series sizes of paper.
    Those are what I use for my A4 sized Tomoe River paper. The laid paper is bit white, but the pure cotton is a good match for color. The texture of the pure cotton is rougher than the TR, but it's smoother than G Lalo. (The G Lalo envelopes don't fit the A4 TR as well.)
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

Mags (March 14th, 2014)

Thanks

If you are in the US looking for envelopes for A5 sheets, you might not have thought to look at envelopes of the smallest USPS legal size, ie 3.5x5 or 3 5/8 x 5 1/8. However, TR A5 sheets can be folded into quarters, ie fold in half once each direction, and they fit inside those envelopes. And TR is so thin that a couple sheets of it fold into quarters quite nicely.

I just received a letter on TR A5 folded this way in this type of envelope today; I didn't think of it myself. I can't tell what brand it is; nice quality white paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

I use what are called 4 Bar envelopes from the Paper Source.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

12. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

mrcharlie (March 14th, 2014)

Thanks

They seem to have a lot! of different colors and a few different paper qualities, at least online.

Thanks

They seem to have a lot! of different colors and a few different paper qualities, at least online.
    Yes they do. I buy them at a Paper Source B&M store in my neighborhood. 100 envelopes gets you a discount. Possibly online also.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 1,647 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Yes they do. I buy them at a Paper Source B&M store in my neighborhood. 100 envelopes gets you a discount. Possibly online also.
    Writigrav, I used one of your long business envelopes to make a template for my calendar page envelope. Do those also come from Paper Source?
    Last edited by VertOlive; March 20th, 2014 at 08:01 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

writingrav (March 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Writigrav, I used one of your long business envelopes to make a template for my calendar page envelope. Do those also come from Paper Source?
    Yes they do.

Dunno ergo sum

18. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (March 21st, 2014)

Thanks

I'm a fusspot when it comes to envelopes, mainly because I find that many of the ones I have bought previously are so thin that the content of the letter can be read through the envelope. Not good when I don't want the postman or anyone else in the household to get a sneak preview. Now I make my own, to suit the size of paper in whatever paper I can find that I like the look of. A ruler, scalpel and glue stick are all that I need.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

Thanks

Yeah.

I went all OCD on scrapbook papers for envelopes because of this thread. So, I have nice paper envelopes, and I have all kinds of decorative envelopes. Now, looking at all these envelopes, I realize I have more than quite a few letters to write!

I did make and give a lovely garden card and envelope for my aunt's birthday last weekend. She liked it a lot and started identifying all the flowers in the pattern of the card and envelope paper. She's an avid gardener.

I also made a card and envelope and wrote a letter to include for my best friend in Montana. She has always enjoyed all the things I've made for her. I really miss her.

Back on topic, I've no Tomoe River, but with the templates here, I've no lack of envelopes, either.

Thanks

Original Crown Mill (classic laid or pure cotton) envelopes (A5 size) is what I use for my Tomoe River letters. I can fold the paper twice (one lengthwise and one width wise) into quarters and it fits perfectly. I do believe their A4 size will also fit the width of Tomoe River, so you could just fold the top and bottom of the sheet into the middle.

Thanks

I love Crane and Co products and have been using them for years. I am currently using Crane 5 3/4 x 7 11/16 envelops and #10 map envelops from Nanami for my B5 size sheets, they sell envelop in many different sizes and colors with price per envelope very close to that of Original Crown Mill envelops.