Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yay!?

Thanks

Default Re: Yay!?

Thanks

Looking forward to seeing the thread on here Manny. I think it should be titled Lenten Scripts and you encourage all to post a sample script/cursive sample using a scripture passage they wish to share.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 6th, 2014), Manny (March 7th, 2014), tandaina (March 6th, 2014), tiffanyhenschel (March 6th, 2014), Tuppergal.Victoria (March 7th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    So you're giving up FPN for Lent.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Annie (March 7th, 2014), ethernautrix (March 12th, 2014), kaisnowbird (March 14th, 2014), Sketchy (March 8th, 2014)

Thanks

That would be January of last year.

--Daniel

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kirchh For This Useful Post:

Manny (March 6th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

I read that and I wondered "How does Manny know that the mod has a post count less than GOD?".
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

9. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dr.grace (March 7th, 2014), kaisnowbird (March 14th, 2014), LagNut (March 7th, 2014), Manny (March 6th, 2014), Sketchy (March 8th, 2014), tandaina (March 6th, 2014), tiffanyhenschel (March 6th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Bingo!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Congratulations on your merit badge.

For your next badge get the entire thread removed. I have a fuzzy idea how you might accomplish this.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Wait. I'm not clear what happened. You posted some calligraphy for Lent and got blocked somehow at FPN? Whoever did that needs to go to confession.

I'm way Catholic. I've been here a few months and no one has stacked any firewood around my feet yet...
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    I'm way Catholic. I've been here a few months and no one has stacked any firewood around my feet yet...
    Well, precisely. FPG is *not* FPN. They have specific rules that prohibit the posting of religious or political threads. The implication was that if someone used some religious text as the body for an example of handwriting, that was one thing, but posting such so that it became the 'content' of the thread crossed a line. Or so they say. It's all judgmental, and that is the way they roll over there.

It's different here.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (March 7th, 2014), Dreck (March 7th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

It's different here.
    And I for one am very,very thankful for that. Do you reckon that'll get me booted out of FPN?

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post

For your next badge get the entire thread removed. I have a fuzzy idea how you might accomplish this.

There's that pesky fuzz again.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

At this time of year when we are approaching rebirth and renewal it is good to get outdoors and take up the sport in which Jesus commanded we participate.

"Take up Lacrosse and follow me".

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Annie (March 7th, 2014), Cookies (March 7th, 2014), Dreck (March 7th, 2014), drgoretex (March 27th, 2014), ethernautrix (March 12th, 2014), Jon Szanto (March 7th, 2014), Manny (March 7th, 2014), Murfie (April 10th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Yay!?

You guys are too funny. From Lent to lint.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

LunaAzurina (March 7th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post

Don't know what your idea might be,but mine would involve the use of choice sections
    of Matthew 23.

John

22. The Following User Says Thank You to pengeezer For This Useful Post:

Manny (March 7th, 2014)

Thanks

I am sure we will all be astounded to see the number of threads that are locked at Christmas.

Although not a religious person myself, enough is finally enough of that FPN crap (OMG I can say crap! (in fact OMG I can say G!!)).

I have moved all my pens and inks over here; the peace lily and litter tray arrive tomorrow.

Hello!

John
    Last edited by encremental; March 7th, 2014 at 11:29 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to encremental For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (March 14th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Long long ago and in a land far far away, here was one of my lesson handouts when I was teaching adult and youth Sunday School

Easter and the Pentecost; Passover and Shavuot.

Easter and Pentecost. On Easter Day we celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus and on Pentecost the arrival of the Holy Spirit. As a Jew, Jesus would have celebrated Passover and Shavuot at the same times.

But what are Passover and Shavuot?

Jesus had made his annual pilgrimage to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover. Passover is one of the three Pilgrimage Feasts mandated in the Torah. The other two mandated Pilgrimages are Shavuot and Sukkoth.

Most of us grew up learning the stories of Exodus, how the Israelites were warned to stay inside their homes and to paint the door frame with blood so the Angel of the Lord would pass over their homes as he killed the first born son of the Egyptians.

Shavuot is likely less familiar, but like the other two Pilgrimage Festivals, is related to the Exodus story. It celebrates the day that Moses was given the Torah on the Mountain of Sinai, and the day that the Jews accepted God’s Law, became a Nation of God.

Like Easter, it is a movable feast and falls seven, seven day weeks after the Second Day of Passover. It is called “The Feast of Counting” as the Jews anticipate the days, count the days, from Passover to the day of acceptance.

But how did the exact time of celebration come about?

No one actually knows when the Passover happened, or when exactly Moses received the Torah, so why do we celebrate Passover, Shavuot, Easter and Pentecost at these particular times of year?

Historically, Passover was celebrated with the first offerings of Barley. Wheat ripened slightly later and Shavuot was also the first offering from the Wheat harvest. The timing for these Pilgrimages corresponded to bringing the first of the harvests to the Temple, as offerings and for blessings.

The Third Mandatory Pilgrimage is Sukkoth. It too is related to the Exodus and when I was growing up it was one of the most fun celebrations.

I grew up in an almost all Jewish neighborhood, so all my friends were Jewish. I was the Shabbat Goy, the Christian boy the orthodox Jews could call on to do things on Shabbat, turn on lights, turn on or off the stove, run errands.

One advantage though was getting to celebrate Sukkoth with my friends. Sukkoth commemorates living in the desert while on the Exodus march. All the kids get to make tents from tables and we got to sleep in them and have our meals on the floor and eat with our hands and get dirty and all the things we couldn’t do at other times.

But even Sukkoth is timed with the harvest. One of the traditions of Sukkoth is shaking the Four Species. The Four Species are Date Palm Fronds, Willow Branches, Myrtle and Citron, a fruit like lemons. As folk living here in the Valley know, citrus fruits are a Fall Harvest. It's why oranges and grapefruit are often gifts at Christmas.

To celebrate, you take the Date Palm Frond, some Myrtle and the Willow in the left hand, and hold the Citron in your right. As you bring the two hands together, they are blessed. You then shake them three times to each of the four corners, to North, East, South and West.

The ceremony is a prayer of thanks for the year’s bounty and that there be rain enough for all the coming years’ growth.

Beyond the symbolic meanings of the Exodus in Passover, Shavuot and Sukkoth, beyond the symbolic meanings of Easter and the Pentecost, there was life, and an acknowledgement of the cycles of life and the harvest.

26. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

85AKbN (March 7th, 2014), Annie (March 7th, 2014), Crazyorange (March 7th, 2014), cwent2 (March 7th, 2014), drgoretex (March 27th, 2014), kia (March 8th, 2014), LagNut (March 7th, 2014), LunaAzurina (March 7th, 2014), Mags (March 7th, 2014), Manny (March 7th, 2014), Sailor Kenshin (March 7th, 2014), spotted and speckled (March 7th, 2014), tandaina (March 7th, 2014), tiffanyhenschel (March 7th, 2014), VertOlive (March 7th, 2014)

Thanks

I am a very lapsed Catholic. I reckon if I shuffled off to confession now, nearly 40 years since the last one, the poor priest would have an attack of the vapours and I doubt there's enough Hail Marys and Our Fathers he could give me. I'm doomed, I know this - prolly going to hell on a handcart and you do actually have to repent and mostly, I don't.

Meanwhile, back with the idea that Manny's thoughts on whatever religion he holds dear could or should be locked out of 'the other place' is just nuts. That the thread was locked tells me that the rules are being stuck to. However batshit crazy I find that, however much I disagree with it, I defend their right to do it and in doing so, to show that the whole ethos of the place is against any principle I may have and I say this as one who doesn't have that many.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (March 12th, 2014), Jon Szanto (March 7th, 2014), LunaAzurina (March 7th, 2014), Manny (March 7th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post

It's kinda sad all around.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Giving up FPN for Lent? (Sorry, I hadn't read to the end of the thread).

Gotta say I do love your handwriting and I also love meditating on Scripture. So this is a perfect combination, AFAIC.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to dr.grace For This Useful Post:

Manny (March 7th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    I reckon if I shuffled off to confession now, nearly 40 years since the last one, the poor priest would have an attack of the vapours and I doubt there's enough Hail Marys and Our Fathers he could give me. I'm doomed, I know this - prolly going to hell on a handcart and you do actually have to repent and mostly, I don't.
    They tend to be quite good about that sort of thing, vis-a-vis The Prodigal Son. You're probably looking at 5 of each, tops, i.e. no big deal. But you make a good point about the repentance part. Coming home to work in your father's fields is a bit different from crashing in your old bedroom overnight on the way to the next neighboring country for another year of riotous living.
    --
    Mike

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (March 7th, 2014), VertOlive (March 7th, 2014)