Thread: Nu: Elite A5 Journal Review

Thanks

Default Nu: Elite A5 Journal Review

This review with more images can be found here: http://penpaperinkletter.com/nu-elit...w-nunotebooks/

This is the Nu: Elite A5 Journal from you guessed it, NuCo. It's a leather like 'soft-touch' covered spiral wire-bound A5 notebook. It has 200 perforated pages of 120 GSM ruled paper and once the paper band is removed its only branding is the embossed nu: elite on the upper left front cover. There is a vertical elastic band near the edge to keep the book closed when not in use. It also has a rear pocket similar to many other notebooks. This particular notebook is the light tan version but it also comes in dark tan, cool grey and black. This particular version of the Elite journal is A5 but it also available in A4 or A6. Nu:Co is based in the UK and Hong Kong his notebook was made in China.

The notebook is attractive enough and I like the light tan cover paired with the cream lined pages. The wire is silver and a bit tight for my taste. I don't know if it will loosen with more use but at the moment I have to guide the pages a bit as they become stuck and don't freely move on the binding all the time. The 'soft-touch' cover seems well made although that particular cover style, which to me feels spongy, isn't my favorite. The back folder is glued to the inside of the back cover and I'm sure it works fine but I wouldn't overload it as it looks like the glue might give a bit if it is overstuffed. I've had this happen on almost all rear pockets like this that aren't actually made into the binding/cover though so it seems par for the course.

The paper feels like a medium to heavy weight paper to the touch but it is not stiff. It held up well to most pen and ink combos I threw at it save for a bit of feathering on some. Even with the flex pen though I had no issues with show-through or bleed-through. I would call this paper almost fountain pen friendly. It will be ok for some pen and ink combos but not all in the fountain pen world. It has no issues with ball and gel pens that I found. The ruling is a wide and I'd prefer it to be a bit tighter but at A5 it seems just big enough to handle the wider lines and still make decent use of the space.

I have grown to really like the A5 size and this is a good offering in that space if you are a fan of wide ruling and the soft touch cover and have the patience to deal with a tight binding. This one is going home to my wife to be used as a diary/journal and it will likely be a step up from what she has been using. They run just under $10 in the places I found them which I think is about where they should be. They are more readily available in the UK but can be found in the states and particularly ordered online through Nu:Co.

-Heath
    @WeThePPIL

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (March 6th, 2014), Jeph (March 6th, 2014), lisantica (March 8th, 2014), Pennanngalan (March 7th, 2014), Potter (March 6th, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: Nu: Elite A5 Journal Review

it can be difficult to safely load and unload belongings. Moving companies are often prepared to handle these types of situations with creative solutions. Car Transport Rates Cranston, Rhode Island