Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for a new sub-forum: PRS

Thanks

Default Re: Suggestion for a new sub-forum: PRS

I found the above interests and opinions well reasoned and interesting. If anyone wants to engage in a theology discussion the old fashioned letter still works too and many of us have incowrimo addresses so a letter works too. My address was posted so I don't mind the forum or the handwritten letter for sharing ideas. At least by letter I use a fountain pen to put my thoughts to paper. It may be a simple solution to post themes for letters or study of theology by forum and to let those wanting to share perspectives to use a FP of choice and write away. The exchanges will take longer but it may be a compromise. Food for thought?
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Manny (March 14th, 2014)

Thanks

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manny For This Useful Post:

Mags (March 14th, 2014), Sailor Kenshin (March 19th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    I am amazed that someone could be offended by the title of a thread such as "I was born into a religious southern family. A personal path to belief."

It is clearly labeled explaining the content, points out that it involves personal belief and that it will be about religion.
    I saw nothing wrong with jar's post. I didn't read through the responses, but if they got acrimonious, that's a problem with the responses not the original post.

Are there other religious and political posts that I missed?
    Last edited by raging.dragon; March 15th, 2014 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks

Raging Dragon it's not that you missed something. It is more questions of is this a pen place or more of a fora for exchange of bigger issues of importance to pen users in a milieu of of areas from law, politics, religion, industry etc. While some topics are generally widely accepted theology is often so emotional and at times divisive that there are arguments for inclusion versus censure. In general my read of the majority is the best censure is ones own personal filters.....the bottom line is adequate caveats so pen purists avoid entering a debate without some heads up this is not a pen centric exchange ....the issue being any alienation of the dedicated fountain pen enthusiast in other arenas due to some more passionate exchanges on theological themes.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Manny (March 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    I agree with writinggrav: the tone of the site has changed just with these discussions. People are taking sides, people are getting upset. Res ipsa loquitur.
    No more so than in threads about FPN.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Here's the thing that I notice. The one person who strongly states a minority view about religion is the one who draws criticism. He says, in terms no stronger than the believers use, his opinion that the Christian God is imaginary. And many people consider that rude or antagonistic. When really he's just opining that people not talk about religion here.

The problem might be that if many people believe one thing, and agree with each other in that belief, than anyone stating the opposite is considered confrontational and rude, or wrong, or to be rocking the boat. Anyone who doesn't agree with that belief feels out of place. It creates a difficult atmosphere for others.
    The poster didn't simply state he was an atheist and believed divine beings were imaginary. Instead the post was loaded with direct and indirect insults of those who disagreed, and it was the intolerant and incendary tone to which others are objecting. And it isn't only religious people who objected to this - I'm an atheist, and at least one other who complained about this post stated that he is an atheist.
    Last edited by raging.dragon; March 15th, 2014 at 08:45 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to raging.dragon For This Useful Post:

Manny (March 15th, 2014), Mortiana27 (March 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Being new to this site and the pen world, yet a very experienced member and moderator on a golf site it's strange to see so much religious chatter. Usually politics and religion get dropped fast especially if you want the site to grow.
    -Ryan

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Finalist For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 16th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Finalist View Post
    Being new to this site and the pen world, yet a very experienced member and moderator on a golf site it's strange to see so much religious chatter. Usually politics and religion get dropped fast especially if you want the site to grow.
    Part of being new here give you only a partial view of the site's dynamic: it is a very recent, and probably somewhat short-lived phenomenon (at least in terms of activity) and mostly coming off of events that played out on another pen forum.

As I suspected, the activity in the couple of religious threads has died down in the last couple of days since I made the suggestion in the OP. One of the people had decried the seemingly rampant growth in the non-pen topics and activity, and yet the last day or two has been a return to mostly all pen-centric talk. I'm fairly certain that, assuming you stick around, you'll see it become a small part of the overall spectrum of chatter.

It may very well be that there is a continuum of desires, from those who would have a pen forum with virtually NO other topics of conversation, as well as those that "come for the pens, stay for the people". I confess that I fall into the latter category; long chats about pens and related stuff simply introduces me to people, and invariably many of those people end up being personalities that I'd like to know more about, and to be able to interact with them on levels wider than mere writing activities.

But we're all different, which is why I proposed this simply as one potential solution.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Mags (March 16th, 2014), Manny (March 15th, 2014), reprieve (March 16th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

I think I've found a solution that should work well.

I've created a new sub-forum in the Off Topic forum called "Politics, Religion, and Society". I've also found a plugin that will exclude all posts from that sub-forum from the 'What's New?' link in the main menu. So if you want to see what threads have new posts you'll have to go into the PRS sub-forum and look.

I'll move existing threads into the new forum but if I miss any please help me out by PMing me or flagging them and leaving a comment to move them to the proper forum.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback about this decision.

15. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

85AKbN (March 18th, 2014), AndyT (March 22nd, 2014), cwent2 (March 18th, 2014), ethernautrix (March 18th, 2014), Flounder (March 19th, 2014), jar (March 19th, 2014), Jon Szanto (March 18th, 2014), KrazyIvan (March 19th, 2014), LunaAzurina (March 19th, 2014), Manny (March 18th, 2014), Mortiana27 (March 18th, 2014), pengeezer (March 18th, 2014), Potter (March 20th, 2014), reprieve (March 18th, 2014), tiffanyhenschel (March 18th, 2014), writingrav (March 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Dan, at first blush, that is just spectacular. The biggest drawback for allowing people freedom while keeping everyone comfortable was seeing things pop up in "What's New". If you've found a way around it, this would be a wonderful solution, and should satisfy anyone with a sense of reason and community.

Bonus points for being you. More later, after dinner (and doing taxes...).
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Dan, at first blush, that is just spectacular. The biggest drawback for allowing people freedom while keeping everyone comfortable was seeing things pop up in "What's New". If you've found a way around it, this would be a wonderful solution, and should satisfy anyone with a sense of reason and community.

Bonus points for being you. More later, after dinner (and doing taxes...).
    Wait, if we don't agree entirely does it mean we don't have a "sense of reason and community"?
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

18. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Wait, if we don't agree entirely does it mean we don't have a "sense of reason and community"?
    Quite poor wording and thought transmission on my part. My point was that it appears to be a solution that both allows those, who so wish, to continue posting on topics that range further from pen interests, as l as having potential for disquiet, while at the same time giving those who would prefer to not be faced with such to have the option to avoid those conversations. To me - and maybe *just* to me - a solution that benefits as many people as possible, within a community, is one that is working in the spirit of community.

I am not naive enough to think that, given a problem, a solution will always exist that satisfies each and every person. That which satisfies the most will be the best we can hope for.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 18th, 2014 at 10:00 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (March 18th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quite poor wording and thought transmission on my part.
    If you say so. I would say, rather, that "satisfy" was just too strong, that's all. When somebody accedes to the reason behind a compromise in the spirit of community, they may also regret the loss of one thing or another that they would have liked to have had but didn't get. In this case, they probably don't identify their feelings about the compromise as "satisfaction". So "satisfy" was a poorly chosen word. If I don't make any mistakes worse than that tomorrow, it will be a good day.
    --
    Mike

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 19th, 2014)

Thanks

Semantics here(raising and waving my hand....).......

Perhaps one might think that satisfy was a bad choice for the chosen spot in Jon's sentence,but it is that very "satisfaction" between the
    members that becomes the issue(and quite possibly here also). I had no problem with his choice of the word as I thought it fit adequately
    the issue at hand without sounding like a politically correct "nth"-ly worded statement.

I also believe--as Jon has said--that that which "satisfies" the most will be the best we can hope for.

John

Thanks

You are correct, John, but it is a rare gathering of people where word choice is 100% semantics and 0% diplomacy. Actually, I only commented because I thought Jon's post was, if anything, too diplomatic, and I was surprised that it elicited a negative response. For my own purposes, I just had to sort out why that could be. That's what I came up with.
    Last edited by mhosea; March 19th, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
    --
    Mike

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I think I've found a solution that should work well.

I've created a new sub-forum in the Off Topic forum called "Politics, Religion, and Society". I've also found a plugin that will exclude all posts from that sub-forum from the 'What's New?' link in the main menu. So if you want to see what threads have new posts you'll have to go into the PRS sub-forum and look.

I'll move existing threads into the new forum but if I miss any please help me out by PMing me or flagging them and leaving a comment to move them to the proper forum.

Looking forward to hearing your feedback about this decision.
    Looks like an elegant solution. Personally since most areas of any forum on most any subject hold little or no interest to me I never bother with the "What's new" links.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

My question was a "negative response?"

As I read that post, it does seem that anyone who isn't satisfied with the solution falls outside of the category of one who has "reason and a sense of community".

It seems an insult to say something on the order of "If you disagree with this, you are not cvilized." An urbane insult, if you will.

That said, I'm glad you've come to an agreement with the moderator and we can move on to the PRS thread if we must.
    Last edited by VertOlive; March 19th, 2014 at 12:35 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Vert, you are taking my statement farther than I said or intended. I said it "should satisfy" people, which of course means also that some of those same rational and good-spirited folks might not agree. Such is life, but in no way is that to mean that they are lacking in any way. I hope you can take what I have said in the *spirit* with which I say it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    My question was a "negative response?"

As I read that post, it does seem that anyone who isn't satisfied with the solution falls outside of the category of one who has "reason and a sense of community".

It seems an insult to say something on the order of "If you disagree with this, you are not cvilized." An urbane insult, if you will.
    The phrase "reason and sense of community" refers to a willingness to take account of all viewpoints and to compromise when necessary. The phrase "should satisfy" was what threw you off into the "urbane insult" interpretation, since "satisfy" was too strong, and "should satisfy" could be misinterpreted to mean "should" as in "You should eat your vegetables." when here it means something more like "I think it will", as in "That should fix it." In the software business, such words are often uttered before being proven wrong.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

jar (March 19th, 2014), Jon Szanto (March 19th, 2014), Manny (March 19th, 2014), Steph (March 21st, 2014)

Thanks

I deliver!

~ Benjamin Franklin

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Flounder (March 20th, 2014), jar (March 19th, 2014), Manny (March 19th, 2014)