Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Losing pens -- what are your tragedies? Let it all out here.

Thanks

Default Re: Losing pens -- what are your tragedies? Let it all out here.

Quote Originally Posted by ransky View Post
    I lost a TWSBI Micarta at the movies. I was sitting on the aisle and had to stand to let folks in/out during the show. Somewhere between getting up and down many times, it leaped for freedom. I didn't realize it until I was home.

Fortunately, my son's girlfriend worked at the theater taking tickets. She checked with the sweep-up guy who had found the pen. He was kind enough to return it. A miracle really. Of course, I wrote him a thank you note with it, and included some extra thanks a teen would appreciate.
    I love this story!

I lost a pen several years ago, before I discovered fountain pens. I had purchased a Cross ATX ballpoint in Paradiso Green from Franklin Covey along with my Planner. I loved that pen. Being a green freak, I just loved that color, but it was comfortable too. Used it all the time. I brought it to church one Sunday, and must have set it down on my seat after jotting some notes. After church ended, I chatted about for a bit, away from my seat. I somehow realized that I didn't have my pen on me. So, I went back to my seat to retrieve it. It was gone, baby. Gone. I could not believe that someone took my pen...at church.

Honestly, I still miss that pen, but I can't feel too sorry for myself. I have plenty to make up for it.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

Thanks

I've only lost one pen. It was a stainless steel Parker Jotter that I received as a birthday present one year. I lost it somewhere on the way back home from the post office. Never found it again and was devastated. I replaced it, but the new SS Jotter just never had the same character as the lost one.
    Less is More. - Mies van der Rohe/Less is a Bore. - Robert Venturi

Thanks

Unsure if it’s cool to bring up old threads, but I lost both a Parker Classic and a Sheaffer Targa in the early 90s and I really liked both. I also lost a Cross 18k gold filled Townsend that my sister gave me in college and that was also sad. I keep meaning to look for replacements.

Thanks

Sometime around 2000 or 2001, I was teaching high school Mathematics in New Jersey. (Call it mid-life crisis or nervous breakdown, but I did this instead of practicing law, which I had done for 20 years.) In one class, the students were supposed to work on their computers. I had a Montblanc 146 pen. I put it down and when I went to look for it, it was gone. I really doubt if the student who took it appreciated how valuable the pen was.
    Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marbled M205, Santini Libra Cumberland Gold ebonite, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kaliuzhkin For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (January 18th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,813 Times in 794 Posts

I've lost two nice pens: a red Pelikan M600 (two years ago) and a Parker 61 flighter (last year). Apparently both fell from my shirt pocket and I realized too late they were missing.

I only hope they brought some happiness to the lucky persons who found them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaliuzhkin View Post
    Sometime around 2000 or 2001, I was teaching high school Mathematics in New Jersey. (Call it mid-life crisis or nervous breakdown, but I did this instead of practicing law, which I had done for 20 years.) In one class, the students were supposed to work on their computers. I had a Montblanc 146 pen. I put it down and when I went to look for it, it was gone. I really doubt if the student who took it appreciated how valuable the pen was.
    Oof.

Thanks

All three Schafer No Nonsense fountain pens and the four broad nibs of various widths that came in the Calligraphy set, a couple No Nonsense ballpoints (One with neck cord) and a Pelikian fountain pen, I forget the model, with a squeeze bulb fill.
    Lost them and a bottle of black ink, again I forget the brand, and all the ink cartridges I had for the No Nonsense fountain pens, in 1987, when my now former wifr decided for whatever reason she didn't want me anymore.
    (to this day, she hasn't informed me why. I don't have a clue. Stupid me thought things were going fine. No arguments, sleeping on the couch or in the garage or car ...)
    She put them, and pretty much everything else I had except my clothes in the dumpster, after closing the joint bank account and using those funds to start a new account in her name.
    It was on a pay day, after my direct deposit pay had been posted, and about a week after my PEL Grant, and second semester student loan came in, too. ☹️

Oh well ... She wanted the car that wasn't paid for (along with the payments). I got the somewhat older car that was paid for. 😁

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

It may not seem like much, but I am sad that I lost my first fountain pen: a Parker Vector that I bought when I was 10 years old. I was moving houses, and it disappeared somewhere in that. I still hope that it will show up again...

Thanks

One fell swoop: Montblanc Le Grand rollerball and 149 both gone, P-F-F-F-T.

Thanks

Montblanc 34 burgundy. The wettest true EF I have ever had.

Let someone borrow it to try out and never saw it again.

Thanks

Back in 2015, I was teaching a class on the other end of campus and had a Lamy Studio Palladium in my hip pocket.

I got back to my office and it wasn't there. I walked back, but of course it was gone.

That was my first gold nibbed pen and also the first I bought from a since closed local shop. I liked it in particular because the shops name was silk screened on the cap-maybe a detriment to some but there again I liked it.

Funny enough, maybe a year and a half ago, I bought another Studio Palladium with the same 14K F nib, and sold it within 6 months. Back in 2011 when I bought it, I fell in love with the weight. In 2020, I couldn't get over how heavy it was.

Also, interestingly enough, my first had a noticeable scratch only in an upper right arc but was smooth in every other direction. I didn't pay much attention to it at the time. I got the new in my hands, put it to paper, and within one line I noticed the exact same scratchiness as my first. I've never heard of anyone else mention it on a Lamy gold nib, so don't know if it was something that's just peculiar to how my grip interacts with it or what.

I do have to say I'm not a big cap poster, and even though posting the cap on a Studio makes it SUPER back heavy, I do like the "no contact" design of the Studio.

I do think that being without the pen for 5 years gave my tastes a chance to develop and re-evaluate, and it also taught me to never carry pens in my hip pocket! Shirt or jacket pocket only for me now.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

I hate to recall it, but over two grand's worth of vintage pens were scatted somewhere along a ten-mile stretch of the Rockville Pike after leaving Bert Heiserman's The Pen Haven, before I discovered I left my motorcycle's top case unlatched. Riding back and forth until it was too dark was for naught.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    I hate to recall it, but over two grand's worth of vintage pens were scatted somewhere along a ten-mile stretch of the Rockville Pike after leaving Bert Heiserman's The Pen Haven, before I discovered I left my motorcycle's top case unlatched. Riding back and forth until it was too dark was for naught.
    That is truly tragic.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to An old bloke For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (January 30th, 2022)