Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Losing pens -- what are your tragedies? Let it all out here.

Thanks

Default Losing pens -- what are your tragedies? Let it all out here.

So it appears I left my Lamy Studio on the train between DC and Philadelphia yesterday. A sad loss, it was my daily user and I'm bummed out about it no end. This has turned out to be a more expensive holiday than it was supposed to. Still hoping its in my suitcase somewhere, but I'm not particularly confident.

Has anyone else been so careless? Still grieving?
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Default Re: Losing pens -- what are your tragedies? Let it all out here.

Yup. Lost pens. Not grieving though. Get another beauty and life will perk up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Snedwos, sorry to hear about your lost Studio.

Last year I lost a Blue Safari (LH) on the train and was pretty pissed-off with myself.
    Although I was happy that I had swapped it for a more expensive & hard to find Al-Star the night before.
    Now I use a bigger pen case to carry my work pen in.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I have lost or misplaced a Waterman Laureat II. I swear I can NOT find it, and I have a worry that when I cleaned out a little box of old pens and pencils (and I mean non-FP, non-anything but disposable items), it may have been in there for some reason and got tossed.

I can't say I grieve it too much, as I got it on eBay for not too much to replace one that had a badly corroded nib, and I never even had a chance to ink it up!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Ouch. It's never nice to lose a nice daily writer or a 'nice' piece from a collection.

Just a few weeks ago, I managed to lose my grey, first year Snorkel. Not exactly sure how, but it managed to screw itself from its cap while I was moving between classes. On the upside, I did just sort of 'upgrade' to another first-year Snorkel Crest in black. I just finished restoring it too, and it turned out to be quite a nice piece.
    Currently obsessed with: Parker 51s and Sheaffer Targas.

Thanks

I have lost two over the past eight years. One was a Yafa type pen in a blister-pack, but the other was a midnight blue P51 special. Both of these pens disappeared after being left on my desk in class. I make sure that the pens are never out of site nowadays!

;-)
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I love those skinny frixion pens made by Pilot, and I accidentally left one on the podium in my classroom. It got snapped up pretty quickly (by a colleague, I'm sure). I seriously thought about finding out who taught in that classroom after me, but I let it go.

I had a colleague confess he had lost a Graf von Faber Castell fountain pen while cleaning the cat box. That must have hurt.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

A Waterman Expert in green, which I put somewhere when a tine broke off the nib, not knowing in those days that it was a simple matter to replace the nib from a donor pen... and now, of course, can I find it?

Thanks

I lost a Pelikan M200 at a meeting. I had literally just got it back from Mr Pendleton too. Argh!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by U56rh View Post
    I lost a Pelikan M200 at a meeting. I had literally just got it back from Mr Pendleton too. Argh!
    Having just received a Pendleton Brown pen, I can certainly see that would be more than an ouch (maybe even more than an ARGH! Maybe more like a "KHHHHHAAAAANNNNN!" (Start Trek fan here).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Within the space of two weeks, my husband lost his prized Levenger L-Tech he'd had for over 2 years, somewhere on a shopping day full of errands, and then a Limited Edition Coffee Lamy Al-Star, which is now tremendously expensive and hard to find, we think somewhere on the morning bus ride into work. He was pretty distraught, and rightfully so because I was about to ban him from carrying any more fountain pens ever again.

He has since started using a pen case (whereas before he carried them in his pockets), and we were able to find the same L-Tech on ebay for half the prices (thank you Levenger Outlet!). Sadly won't be replacing the coffee any time soon, but I did get him the 2013 All-Black Al-Star.

If he loses that too, he's dead to me!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Faustine For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 14th, 2014)

Thanks

I lost a Hero 715 about a year ago, could not find it anywhere, forgot all about it, then a week ago we were moving some furniture and lo & behold, there it was covered in dust, how it got there I don't know, but I was pleased to welcome it back to the collective. Now inked up with platinum black and doing excellent service as it always did.

Thanks

A few months ago, Australian Post lost three pens I sold to another Sydney-sider. They weren't particularly valuable, but I was very annoyed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I've mentioned my losses in several such threads (at fpn) over the years.

The biggest single loss was the pair of fairly new Montblanc La Bohemes (fp and bp) in a new leather case. It fell out of my pocket somewhere in the two-block walk from my apartment to the subway station in the Lower East Side. I noticed the case wasn't in my pocket just as I started walking down the stairs, turned around, and retraced my steps all the way back to the apartment. Looked around the apartment in case I only thought that I had put the case in my pocket.

Gone.

That one hurt.

I've lost the nibs and barrels of a couple of pens that unscrewed from the caps which I had clipped to my collar - a Pelikan 400, for instance. No, wait, that was the rollerball. It was the Sheaffer Connaisseur nib and barrel that fell off somewhere in Providence, Rhode Island. That one had a wonderful nib. The replacement Connaisseur did the same at Ocean Beach, San Francisco. The Sheaffer Connaisseur ballpoint ended up lost at Caribbean Zone years earlier - Caribbean Zone was a restaurant in downtown San Francisco (South of Market).

Once, during a visit to Scotland, I left two pairs of Parker Duofolds (fp & bp sets) in a leather case near the telephone in a restaurant in Aberdeen. I left, walked about a mile, had a feeling I should check for my pens. Gone! I remembered the name of the restaurant and, using a public phone box, called the operator for the number, and didn't have a pen to write down the number! But I remembered it, called the restaurant, and someone checked, came back, said the pens were there.

That was the first time I did such a careless walk-away - but not the last. Happened at a deli in Providence (years after the Connaisseur jump). Got off the commuter train in San Francisco, checked my pockets for the only pen I was carrying, a recently purchased Montblanc StarWalker - gone! Got back on the train and found the pen on the seat I'd just vacated. That happens sometimes - I walk away, giving myself the pat-down, then rushing back to find my pen or pen case on the floor, usually.

I try never to ignore the disturbance in the force.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (March 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by U56rh View Post
    Having just received a Pendleton Brown pen, I can certainly see that would be more than an ouch (maybe even more than an ARGH! Maybe more like a "KHHHHHAAAAANNNNN!" (Start Trek fan here).
    You've encapsulated the feelings wonderfully. Bad times.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to U56rh For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (March 16th, 2014)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I temporarily lost a TWSBI 530 for about six months, maybe a little longer. I found it wedged behind my desk when I was moving things around and cleaning. It was filled with Herbin 1670 (the red, sheen-y one) and I thought it would be severely clogged. But I uncapped it and it wrote straight away, no hesitation whatsoever!!

Just a few weeks ago, I lost a Kaweco Liliput. It fell out of my jacket pocket. That sucker is so tiny! But I still have hope that it will eventually turn up as I don't think I dropped it outside anywhere.

Thanks

Back in January I lost a red marbled Waterman Phileas with Fine nib that wrote wonderfully and I had had since the late 1990's when I bought it new from Levenger. I really miss it, even though it wasn't getting quite as much use as it had in the past. I used it during my last phone call of the day and by the time I left the office it had disappeared. It is possible it dropped off the desk into the garbage can. Only other nice pen I have ever lost was a Parker 45 Flighter ballpoint.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Oh yeah, and there was the Parker Cisele barrel I lost somewhere in Pennsylvania. Somehow, the barrel unscrewed from the nib section, so I still have the cap and nib. That, at least, was different from the other losses.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

I clipped a brand new pen to the inner pocket of my tweed jacket to use in a meeting. When I got there I could not find it. It was not a particularly valuable pen, but was gift from someone I respect and admire (yes and FPGeeks member). I was quite panicked and searched every pocket, under the seats of my car and was resigned to the loss. A day later I decided to take all the jackets I had accumulated on the back of my desk chair and take them and hang them properly. While doing this I did one last desperate search and, lo and behold, I found an unknown hole in my pocket and the pen in the lining of the jacket tail. So it turned out well.

The one instance that a pen loss did not turn out well was a Parker I bought as as complete set with a book "The History of Writing" at Heathrow Airport in 1980. First the book was purloined, then a Chinese diplomat stole the pen off my desk in 1993. I still have not recovered from that loss because the ballpoint that was part of the set is a permanent feature of my two pen pouch, which I have with me for all those times I don't want to or can't use a fountain pen. As it has removable cap, it can be lent to one of those people who do not have the foresight to own their own writing instrument.

Thanks

I lost a TWSBI Micarta at the movies. I was sitting on the aisle and had to stand to let folks in/out during the show. Somewhere between getting up and down many times, it leaped for freedom. I didn't realize it until I was home.

Fortunately, my son's girlfriend worked at the theater taking tickets. She checked with the sweep-up guy who had found the pen. He was kind enough to return it. A miracle really. Of course, I wrote him a thank you note with it, and included some extra thanks a teen would appreciate.