Thread: Adjust inner cap on modern Omas???

Thanks

Default Adjust inner cap on modern Omas???

I have an OMAS Arco pen that is slightly out of alignment when the body is threaded into the cap. I know this is a minor cosmetic issue, but it annoys me.

Is there an easy way to adjust the inner cap, short of purchasing an expensive inner-cap-puller??

thnx,

Thanks

Default Re: Adjust inner cap on modern Omas???

Bump. Same question. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I'm not sure that would be the inner cap? Wouldn't it be an issue with the threads?
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

The threads are on the inner cap. By adjusting the inner cap, the threads could be correctly positioned to bring the cap and barrel in alignment. I hope. Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Ah, sorry. Never seen a cap thread on that way, hopefully someone can help.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,324 Posts

What model Arco is it, an Ogiva? 360? Milord?

I don't know about the 360, but the threads on the other pens are cut into the cap. The inner cap is a plastic insert that sits flush on the end of the section. Once those two surfaces touch, that's it for tightening the cap and various issues can result. I had a Dama that wouldn't screw on completely, meaning the facets didn't line up and there was a slight gap between the cap lip and the stepped portion of the barrel.

The inner cap unscrews, and I sanded a bit off the bottom to compensate. Do that at your own risk, because you can't put the material back.

Thanks

It's a paragon. You're right about the threading being on the cap. I'd like to unscrew the inner cap but am concerned because I'm not sure whether it's actually held by a screw. The bottom inside of the cap has what looks like a notch for a screwdriver bit, but there does not appear to be a screw there. I tried to unscrew it with some pressure - it's left threaded, but there was no give. The notch feels like plastic, and I don't want to do any damage.

IMG_1090 (3).jpg

Thanks

It's not held in by a screw, and that notch is for unscrewing it. Problem is that it's no standard size, and it's slightly concave. I have a small metal sculpting tool that fits it, but you could grind the end of a screwdriver or shape a wooden dowel to fit it better.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    It's not held in by a screw, and that notch is for unscrewing it. Problem is that it's no standard size, and it's slightly concave. I have a small metal sculpting tool that fits it, but you could grind the end of a screwdriver or shape a wooden dowel to fit it better.
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. Think I'll look for an appropriate tool. Perhaps modified popsicle stick. I'm assuming that it is left-threaded, as I have read that the inner cap screws on other omas pens are left. Is this your experience as well?

Thanks

A popsicle stick is a good idea. If I remember correctly, it is left threaded.

Thanks

Thanks for your help dneal. If I'm successful, I'll post before and after pics.

Thanks

Update. I was able to fit the notch in the inner cap with two wooden popsicle type coffee stirrers held together. However, the inner cap was screwed in so tightly that I couldn't get it to budge. I later noticed that if I overtightened the cap when screwing it to the pen, there was enough "give" that I could get the facets and Arco pattern to align. I've been doing this gradually, and now after a week of letting the pen sit after overtightening, the alignment is perfect. It's still a little tight, but the facets and Arco pattern match up perfectly. I don't know if this is the result of the inner cap compressing or the celluloid threads loosening. At first, I thought this was sloppy quality control by Omas. Now I'm wondering whether Omas anticipated inner cap compression or celluloid thread loosening and deliberately misaligned the cap and barrel. I'm probably overthinking this. In any event, problem solved for now!

Before and after pics:

IMG_1141.JPGIMG_1142.JPG