Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie and question

Thanks

Default Re: Newbie and question

All of my TWSBI EF nibs have been very scratchy. A few figure 8s on some micro mesh should smooth it out. As for the section, that doesn't look right to me. I would contact TWSBI. If it is a crack they will almost definitely send you a new section.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:

changabanga (March 21st, 2014)

Thanks

[/QUOTE]When you say "pressure required" do you mean "the fact that no pressure is required?" because if a fountain pen is working correctly it should require no pressure to write. The nib literally floats across the page on a puddle of ink.[/QUOTE]

Right, I guess I just mean that I need to get used to not using do much pressure. Bad habit from using ballpoint and rollerballs all my life, I guess.

[/QUOTE]I'd get an M nib, or even go crazy with a B and see if that is smoother for you, it may be easier to learn with.[/QUOTE]

My boss has a display case for his fountain pens at work so I went in yesterday and asked to try out his pens (mostly Mont Blancs), which all his bolder nibs than mine, and they felt a hell of a lot smoother. He tried out my pen and said that even for a EF, it felt too scratchy. I guess I need to keep working on smoothing it out somehow. The replacement feed from TWSBI is coming next week, so I'll see if that makes a difference too.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Hmm, not sure why my "quotes" didn't come out properly.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
    All of my TWSBI EF nibs have been very scratchy. A few figure 8s on some micro mesh should smooth it out. As for the section, that doesn't look right to me. I would contact TWSBI. If it is a crack they will almost definitely send you a new section.
    Is micromesh like sandpaper? Do fountain pen stores usually carry them?

And I see what my problem was with the quoting earlier.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

This is a good source for micro mesh. 12000 should be appropriate for some simple smoothing. A little goes a long way though, so only do a couple figure 8s/infinity signs with light pressure (your pens should be inked), then test it. Then do a couple more and test... and so on until it is smooth enough.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:

changabanga (March 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Nice, thanks. Is it easy to do permanent damage on the nib?
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by changabanga View Post
    Nice, thanks. Is it easy to do permanent damage on the nib?
    Yes. Patience and moderation, with frequent checks using a loupe.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

When you say "pressure required" do you mean "the fact that no pressure is required?" because if a fountain pen is working correctly it should require no pressure to write. The nib literally floats across the page on a puddle of ink.[/QUOTE]

Right, I guess I just mean that I need to get used to not using do much pressure. Bad habit from using ballpoint and rollerballs all my life, I guess.

[/QUOTE]I'd get an M nib, or even go crazy with a B and see if that is smoother for you, it may be easier to learn with.[/QUOTE]

My boss has a display case for his fountain pens at work so I went in yesterday and asked to try out his pens (mostly Mont Blancs), which all his bolder nibs than mine, and they felt a hell of a lot smoother. He tried out my pen and said that even for a EF, it felt too scratchy. I guess I need to keep working on smoothing it out somehow. The replacement feed from TWSBI is coming next week, so I'll see if that makes a difference too.[/QUOTE]

Broader nibs are almost always smoother. And keep in mind comparing a TWSBI nib to a Montblanc is sort of like comparing a Honda to a Ferrari (I'm not a car person, but I think that's sorta accurate). If there is a pen store anywhere near you, or a pen show (even better!), or a pen club I'd really suggest trying out some other sub 100 pens/nibs to get a feel for that price range and what is available. But be careful, you'll likely buy something.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

changabanga (March 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    And keep in mind comparing a TWSBI nib to a Montblanc is sort of like comparing a Honda to a Ferrari (I'm not a car person, but I think that's sorta accurate). If there is a pen store anywhere near you, or a pen show (even better!), or a pen club I'd really suggest trying out some other sub 100 pens/nibs to get a feel for that price range and what is available. But be careful, you'll likely buy something.
    Haha fair enough. I did go to a pen store yesterday and tried out a bunch of the broader TWSBI nibs as well as some Pilots, Lamys, and Kawecos, and found that they were all smoother than my EF TWSBI nib. The owner told me to use it a bit longer and if I still found it too scratchy to bring it back and he could see what he could do. I also ended up leaving the store with a TWSBI 1.1 stub. Really loved it! As well as a black Kaweco Al Sport. I think I may have a problem.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

But it is a FUN problem!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Cookies (March 23rd, 2014)