Thread: "Best" Books on Zen Buddhism/Meditation

Thanks

Default "Best" Books on Zen Buddhism/Meditation

Hello all. I'm interested in reading about Zen Buddhism, particularly about the meditation aspect of the practice. I've always enjoyed reading up on different systems of thought, and this is one I've been interested in for a while. Could anyone point me toward some good books for a reader who knows next to nothing? I'm currently reading Zen Mind, Beginners Mind and find it very interesting.

Thanks for any recommendations; I've been enjoying reading all the posts in this sub forum so far. Glad to see it!
    "Beware of advice - even this." -- Carl Sandburg

Thanks

Default Re: "Best" Books on Zen Buddhism/Meditation

As a reader who knows next to nothing myself ("How long the wandering of many lives. To the fool who misses the way"), I thoroughly enjoyed Dewdrops on a Lotus Leaf: Zen Poems of Ryokan, and return to it often.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

Pens&Lit (March 20th, 2014), TSherbs (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

The Three Pillars of Zen by Philip Kapleau. There is a second book, same author, but start with Pillars.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Pens&Lit (March 20th, 2014)

Thanks

Anything by Alan Watts (start with The Way of Zen); Robert Pirsig's 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' will take your mind on a nice, deep, crazy journey...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benjitzu For This Useful Post:

lsmith42 (March 26th, 2014), Pens&Lit (March 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy, by Miyamoto Musashi.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 85AKbN For This Useful Post:

Pens&Lit (March 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Zen flesh, zen bones. Read this in the 70's.

Also +1 on Alan Watts.
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LagNut For This Useful Post:

Pens&Lit (March 26th, 2014)

Thanks

Also, not actually zen Buddhism, but Dalai Lama I'll suggest also. His book commenting on Christian Gospels - "The Good Heart" - I gave to my youngest daughter for her confirmation. Really good
    Last edited by LagNut; August 9th, 2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Fix Spelling, Add book name
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LagNut For This Useful Post:

Pens&Lit (March 26th, 2014), tandaina (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks

Thanks very much for all the recommendations, everyone. I'm looking forward to checking these out.Turns out I had a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance that I had forgotten about, so I'm starting it straight away. After that I will begin checking out the others. Thanks again!
    "Beware of advice - even this." -- Carl Sandburg

Junior Member Duke of Buckingham's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty much anything by Thích Nhất Hạnh.

The Miracle of Mindfulness is more directly about meditation, and Zen Keys is a great overview of Buddhism in general.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Duke of Buckingham For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (March 6th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    Pretty much anything by Thích Nhất Hạnh.

The Miracle of Mindfulness is more directly about meditation, and Zen Keys is a great overview of Buddhism in general.
    Thich Nhat Hanh's True Love is one of the most beautiful books on the practice of deep love between two persons that I have ever read. Very short, very simple, incredibly wise and compassionate.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Patrick (January 11th, 2016)

Thanks

If you want practical advice, I recommend Phillip Kapleau. If you would like a "feeling" of what Zen is like, Zen Mind Beginners Mind is a classic. Thich Nat Han also has some wonderful stuff.

If you REALLY want to know what Zen is about, go sit at a Zen center. There's lots of them about these days.

I spent three years at San Francisco Zen Center. Long ago.

Thanks

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind by Shunryu Suziki (amazon link).

In my view, on can read too much about Zen, and this book is really the only one for me. There is also a great audio version read by Peter Coyote.

Jim

~ . ~

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I think the OP question is perhaps a little too broad. There is no one way of studying or practicing ch'an (zen) Buddhism. When it comes to books much depends on the connection with the reader's current understanding. In that respect I would suggest just diving in and getting a few from the local library. You will find that most people who develop their interest end up getting a range of books, partly because each author offer fresh insight rather than simply different material (though heaven knows there is a massive amount of material anyway).

When I got started I think it was via Zen Keys by Thich Nhat Hanh (who is my guide now). Then I realised that I needed to understand and practice the Noble Eightfold Path which is core for Buddhism. I can heartily recommend The Noble Eightfold Path: Way to the End of Suffering by Bikkhu Bodhi (an American monk who lives and works out of Taiwan now I think). At quick glance at my smallish pile of books reveals:

The Zen Teachings of Huang Po - On the transmission of mind by John Blofeld (translator)
    The Essentials of Buddhist Meditation by Chih-i (Sramana Zhiyi)
    The Sutra of Hui-Neng - Grand Master of Zen by Thomas Cleary (translator)

And there are many more. The popular mid to late 20th century books by people like Alan Watts can be thought-provoking and a good way of getting into this, but they are best left behind fairly quickly too in my opinion.

Books are always going to be a poor substitute for a living teacher. If you can get to a centre, as others have suggested, you will make much better progress and will be able to engage in real life dialogue in your explorations. However, as with the books you may find you need to visit several centres (if you have the choice) as not all teachers are suitable for all pupils. If you must do via books then I would strongly suggest joining an online sangha (community). I am a member of DharmaWheel which is the place for those of us that come under the umbrella of Mahayana practices, and there is also a DhammaWheel (note the spelling) which caters for the Theravadin practitioners. Both places are full of some very knowledgeable and friendly people, and some genuine monks too like Bikkhu Bodhi (see 2nd para).

If you need any more information I am open to private communication (sounds like an oxymoron, but there it is) although I am by no means an advanced follower of the dharma.

My personal favourite book is The Heart of Understanding - Commentaries on the Heart Sutra by Thich Nhat Hanh. This sutra contains the truth of the universe, but without a reasonable grounding in Buddhist theory it will not make much sense, and many people who read it cold and say they understand really do not.

There are 84000 doorways by which one can engage the dharma. It can take time and patience to find the approriate doorway for each individual. And that's kind of fun in its own right!

EDIT: Here is a LINK to a freely offered translation of Dogen's Shobogenzo, one of the central texts for students of zen. It's a PDF and it's 1100 odd pages long. Have fun!
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; March 26th, 2015 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Just bumping this thread after several years, in case anyone has new insights or books to recommend.

Thanks

Maybe related, I picked up a book from 1978 written by Richard Foster entitled Celebration of Discipline. He has a chapter on meditation, prayer, fasting, and study. This isn't the usual modern idea, but practices he noticed practiced by early disciples of Jesus. In the book he provides the interested with steps toward meditation in practice.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8