Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Noodler's up in here.

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler's up in here.

Jon

Thanks much!

Thread hijack was entirely my fault, but fantastic info.

As an effort towards re-railing the train of the thread, let me second your suggestions to say that when I did get some pens with old nibs after long trolling eBay for these, they are something to be experienced. I have a waterman 52 1/2 and an old duofold Jr. The experience of writing with either is a joy, and unlike anything I've experienced with modern nibs. I don't use these everyday, because they slow down my writing, and though pretty to look at, I lose my train of thought.

Right now, I do have the duofold inked with quink and it is my doodle pen.
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

Alexis de Tocqeuville "Democracy in America" (George Lawrence Translation)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LagNut For This Useful Post:

Tsuki yo (April 4th, 2014)

Thanks

Tsuki Yo,

Your pictures are very nice, much better than I've been able to achieve. I am intrigued with the idea of the old nibs in new pens, also.

Your nom de plume is my favorite ink, BTW.

Cheers
    Mike
    Clearly they had a higher and more comprehensive conception of the duties of society toward it's members than had the lawgivers of Europe of the time, and they imposed obligations upon it that were shirked elsewhere... But it is the provisions for public education which, from the very first, throw into the clearest relief the originality of American civilization.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LagNut For This Useful Post:

Tsuki yo (April 4th, 2014)

Thanks

catfish.jpg

Did a little drawing last night. To keep the Noodler's theme I only used pens that had Noodler's inks in them, my Safari is loaded up with X-feather, the yellow piston Creaper with Red-black, and the eyedropper Creaper with a mix of three drops Red-black to one barrel full of Dragon's Napalm. It didn't come out as smoothly as I wanted, my thumb was twitching the whole time due to muscle fatigue from one of my other hobbies, and it was super-late.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tsuki yo For This Useful Post:

AndyT (April 14th, 2014), Bogon07 (April 14th, 2014), cwent2 (April 14th, 2014), Haefennasiel (May 13th, 2015), LagNut (April 24th, 2014), LunaAzurina (April 26th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Very nice catfish. The stippling is very effect & the red-black ink really makes your drawing pop.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Tsuki yo (April 15th, 2014)

Thanks

Beautiful! I'm always amazed at art done with fountain pen. These skills are something I always wished I had, but don't (at all).

I really zoomed in to see the stippling and I saw that, but failed to see the non smoothness you describe. It works for me. I can almost feel the skin.

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments! I'm not much of an artist myself, this was the first time I ever used my FPs for drawing. My husband is a fantastic artist though, maybe I absorbed some of his vast talent through osmosis. Most of the roughness from my shaky hand I managed to hide with the stipples, or hatching, or in one case, a large field of black. Fish are by far the easiest thing to draw, because if you screw up the proportions, they just tend to look more life-like.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Jon Szanto;72673]Ok, I'll just blurt this out:

"As to the Noodlers, what can I say? I'm equally happy for you, as well as still finding them butt-ugly and not worth the trouble. The problem is this: when people say "I buy Noodlers pens because I want flex but I'm on a budget", I look at my pen case and see a bunch of vintage pens that cost that much OR LESS and write and perform a hell of a lot better."

Coming VERY late to this; but can you say which vintage pens you are referring to in this quote?
    I haven't strayed into the vintage field yet, as I'm a little nervous to do so, even though I've done some homework, the jury's still out on what exactly to look for.