Thread: Good Experience Story

Thanks

Default Good Experience Story

Here's a short story of possible interest. In consolidating my ever-growing collection of pens in various groupings, I ended up with four pens that needed repair work. The group included my MB 149 (deformed section), a Stipula I Castoni Rufino (missing gem on the clip/poor ink feed), a Taccia Staccato Lunar Blue (bad nib) and a Sailor 1911L (broken cap). I decided to send each to their respective factories for the repair work so I could have them for my normal rotation. That was around March 1st. Sent the Stipula back to Italy (via Yafa USA), the Taccia to Itoya Pen Co. (USA), the 149 to their Houston TX repair center and the Sailor back to Japan (via Itoya Pen. Co.). As of today May 24th, I have all the pens back and in perfect working condition. The last two, the Stipula and the Sailor, arrived today.

The Montblanc service center charges a flat $80 fee and thoroughly goes through the pen replacing parts as they deem appropriate (8 days). Taccia replaced the nib for $15 (10 days). The Stipula repair was only $56 including shipping from Italy (44 days). Sailor decided not to charge me for the repair but asked that I pay $20 for express shipping (28 days).

What a deal. I am amazed. Bottom line, IMHO, is there are enterprises out there that still do good, timely and quality service.

Key: Be precise in your description of the problem and be patient.

-- cuza
    My current rotation: A SAILOR 1911 large black with Rhodium trim and H-MF nib, a PLATINUM President black GT and 18C EF nib, a 1992 COLUMBUS mod. 670 "Academia" tortoise GT with 14C med. nib, a MONTBLANC 149 with med. nib, and a black 1952 SHEAFFER TM Crest TD with 14C two-tone closed nib.

Thanks

Hi cuza,

Thanks for sharing this information! It's great to know that Big Names are taking care of us.

=) Eric

goldiesdad

Sounds like they back their pens ... Good to know

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Very nice story, thanks!

Thanks

Wow, I really had not clue you could even do something like that. I will take note on the manufactures you listed and it will affect my next buying decision.

Thanks

Boy and to think that Visconti, in Florida, has had my Rembrandt Eco Roller Ball that needed a "gem" at the bottom of the barrell that fell off, for almost a month now!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

My Divina had a clip malfunction six weeks after purchase. Florida (Lloyd's of London) is the Visconti distributor and sends to Italy for repair. Mine was gone a full 8 weeks. I have another with some damage that I need to send as well - but I would rather the original manufacturer make a flawless repair than have it look bad or not be right with the price of those pens.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Thanks for the story and thanks for the tip:
    Quote Originally Posted by cuza View Post
    Key: Be precise in your description of the problem and be patient.

-- cuza