Thread: Review: Noodler's Liberty's Elysium

Thanks

Default Review: Noodler's Liberty's Elysium

As usual, this review is archived on The Inked Nib.

Pen: Bexley Corona

Paper: Clairfontaine A4 90gsm (page 1), Rhodia No. 16 80 gsm (page 2), Norcom (USA) single subject notebook (page 3), Hammermill Tidal MP 20 pound (ink form)

Wow.This ink is as billed! I thought Brian Goulet’s photos looked just slightly green on my computer, but there is no green or purple here. This appears to be the killer bulletproof ink. I even seem to be getting hints of shading. I also see some subtle shading on my invoice.

As you can tell, I am using a broad nib with average flow. The dry time is pretty decent. It definitely is not instant, but it isn’t bad. I am seeing no show through and no bleed through on Clairefontaine and Rhodia. I am also getting no feathering on this paper. Lubrication is ample, and flow is average.

Based on a quick scan of my blue pens, I think long term this ink will go in my blue TWSBI 530. I may buy a 1.1 italic to help it really shine. My Lamy Al-Star Ocean Blue is too purplish as is my Edison Pearl LEA.

I predicted this would be Goulet cling wrap blue and it really is.

Liberty's Elysium by Erechtheus, on Flickr

Brian and Rachel Goulet have done a lot to surprise and delight us, but the way they handled this ink is at the top of my list! I remember the excitement and subsequent disappointment due to Pelikan Edelstein and Everflo True Blue. Here, Brian and Rachel undersold the product. Rachel casually mentioned a new ink in the Goulet Communique, and she waited for me to start the thread about it on FPN. She reeled us in hook, line, and sinker. Anticipation grew and was at fever pitch for the release! What a release!

The properties of this ink are surprisingly consistent between higher end paper like the Clairefontaine and Rhodia and lower end paper like the Norcom. On Norcom, I see slight show through but no bleed through or feathering. Not surprisingly the dry time is faster on the Norcom.

I am stunned by Nathan Tardif’s work on this ink. I have to wonder what discovery led him to this ink because I have to imagine if this were easily made we would have had it far sooner. I am glad the passion of the Goulets for this product inspired Nathan to the point he figured out the formula for this ink.

I just completed the ink form and tested most of my blue inks against this ink. I have nothing quite like this ink. The closest is probably Everflo True Blue ink. Its properties are worse than this ink, and it does not resist water.

This could very well become my favorite ink. Time will tell.

Unwrapping video:

Water test in progress photos:

Handwritten review:

Review form:

As an addendum, this ink looks to me nothing like Baystate Blue. Baystate Blue is way more vibrant but is also way purpler. This is a true blue.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy James For This Useful Post:

jeffj (September 2nd, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Wow, that was fast but not surprising when it comes to the Goulet's. Thank you for the review!
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Wow. Is right. I wasn't going to buy this ink because I thought the 3 blues I have was enough. Now I have to re-think

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Good review. To me the colour looks quite similar to Noodler's Blue/Blue Eel.
    I felt very un-easy when you turned the box over to tip the bottle out, luckily the bottle lid is on tight
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

That's a lovely blue though, isn't it? Not sure I'd need the bullet proof qualities, but I'm very taken by the colour.

goldiesdad

I ordered mine yesterday ... thanks for the great review ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldiesdad View Post
    I ordered mine yesterday ... thanks for the great review ...
    You must have been in right under the wire. They're sold out with additional stocks to come next week.

Thanks

Having never used a bullet proof ink, what, if any, impact does it have on the pen? Is it difficult to clean?

To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Having never used a bullet proof ink, what, if any, impact does it have on the pen? Is it difficult to clean?

In my experience, if you clean your pen fairly regularly I don't find it takes to much more effort when using a bulletproof ink. If you let it dry out in the pen then you'll likely need some diluted ammonia and a little extra time. Assuming you practice regular pen cleaning and usage you should be safe.

Thanks

Thanks!

Dunno ergo sum

jor412

Thanks for this review -- especially for the comparison to BSB.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

If it's easier to clean than BSB then I should really try it.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Additions to the review:

Rhodia page after a 10 minute soak test:

Norcom page soak test in progress:

IMG_0378 by Erechtheus, on Flickr

Norcom page after 10 minute soak test:

The blue tinge on the bottom is actually the ink from the ruling on the paper, not from the LE. The paper didn't fit all the way in the container I was using for the soak.

Splash/coffee cup test on Clairefontaine:

The good news here is that when I soaked this page after drying, most of the mess disappeared. I'll update again with a scan of that when the page is dry again.

I conclude based on these findings that this is in fact a semi-bulletproof ink. That is, it is composed of a vibrant blue ink that is completely washable and a pastel blue ink that is bulletproof. It also means that this ink is useful for situations where your notes might get splashed with water because you can soak the page and remove the mess from the vibrant blue color. It isn't as useful for mailing something because the letter might just get splashed with ink and make it difficult to deliver. I think the ink is still excellent and love it, but I don't think it is accurate to call it completely bulletproof.

ETA: Here is the scan of the now soaked Clairefontaine page. There is a small circle of blue that does not detract from reading about 1/3 of the way down the page and about 3/5 of the page to the right. That is the only evidence that there was ever splattering.

Last edited by Jimmy James; May 28th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks

Awesome pics and review - I dragged my feet too long waiting for a review or two to buy a bottle before it was sold out!

Looks like Batch #2 shall be mine!

Thanks

I have to buy this ink