Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My Edison Family

Thanks

Default My Edison Family

Some of these pens have individual reviews over at FPN. I'd like to say that I will take time to review them all individually, but since that's probably not going to happen, I wanted to at least talk about them as a group. This is my current family of Edison pens. I've had three others in the past that I sold for various reasons, but none were because of quality issues. It was merely for quirks of personal preference.

First, a group shot in their cigar box: Herald in Ivory Celluloid, Morgan in Light Tortoise Celluloid (filled with ink as an eye dropper,) Nouveau Premiere in Cherry Cordial Ebonite, Pearl Bulb Filler, Double Ended Pearl in Antique Marble Acrylic, Nouveau Encore in Orange Crush Flake and Black Ebonite, Huron Desk Pen in Ivory Celluloid

Yes, you see two pens made of ivory celluloid and black ebonite. I like the simple elegance of the combination. You also see two red and black swirl ebonite pens. That is a material with understated beauty. It doesn't shout, "Look at me!" from across the room but quietly whispers, "Take note of me. I am special."

Longest to shortest unposted:

That Huron Desk Pen looks long, but it is extremely comfortable for long writing sessions.

After a long and circuitous route trying out different nibs over the years, everything from vintage flex to factory stub to custom stub, my favorite daily nib has become a Jowo 18k xf or fine. It is a sacrilege, I know, but I prefer them even over Nakayas.

Longest to shortest posted:

Notice that when posted, the Encore is as long as the others even though it is clearly the smallest pen. Another note: it fits easily in a Midori pen loop.

You may see a slight nick in the threads of the Herald. Last summer that pen suffered the peril of being mauled by a puppy when I was distracted and let the barrel roll onto the floor. After putting the pen out of sight for a few weeks, I finally sent it to Brian to see what he could do. Our options were limited because he didn't have any more of that material available, so making a new barrel was out of the question. He did a great job of rescuing my Herald from my carelessness.

Longest and shortest: Huron Desk Pen and Encore Nouveau

Fattest and skinniest: Double Ended Pearl and Encore Nouveau

I flip flopped twice about the trim color on the Encore Nouveau. Brian sent me a photo before he did the final assembly, and we both decided the gold trim looked better than the rhodium in this picture. I'm including the picture because it shows the barrel unclouded with ink. I use most of my pens as eye droppers. I love them that way, but there is a trade off in barrel translucency.

My favorite material is celluloid, followed by ebonite. I dislike acrylic pens because to me they don't have the "life" that celluloid and ebonite have. I had Brian make the Encore with an ebonite section, cap, and blind cap. That has made a difference how the pen feels in my hand as I write because those are the pen parts that have the most contact with my hand. This is a good compromise for me, and I will order more pens this way in the future.

I have had many different pens over the years, some three times the cost of an Edison pen, but there are few I like as much and none I like better. Besides the artistry of the pens, the customer service exceeds expectations. I changed my mind about several things on this latest pen, and Brian never let a hint of annoyance creep into the conversation despite what he may have felt privately. (I know I would have been annoyed at me!)

One last note: everywhere I say Brian, I really mean everyone at the Edison Pen Company. I know they all work hard and put as much effort and care into the pens as Brian does.

I know that there are a lot of us that have Edisons. If you have one Edison, two dozen, or anything in between, please share yours with us!
    Last edited by tiffanyhenschel; September 29th, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
    Draw close. Hold hands. Life is short. God is good. - Jan Karon

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

amk (April 13th, 2014), Bogon07 (March 30th, 2014), earthdawn (March 30th, 2014), fountainpenkid (September 30th, 2014), jackwebb (April 17th, 2014), jadehawk (August 12th, 2014), jay.is.here (March 31st, 2014), jde (May 8th, 2014), Jeph (March 31st, 2014), kaisnowbird (March 30th, 2014), kia (March 30th, 2014), Replete (April 1st, 2014), reprieve (March 30th, 2014), rgperedo (June 5th, 2014), rpsyed (August 9th, 2015), sharmon202 (August 25th, 2014), Sketchy (May 16th, 2014), TerraNoir (March 30th, 2014), Tracy Lee (March 30th, 2014), trhall (March 30th, 2014), Woody (March 30th, 2014), writingrav (March 31st, 2014)

Thanks

Default Re: My Edison Family

Very nice Edison collection! Thank you for sharing thes pens, I'm a big fan.

I have an Edison desk pen on order after seeing the ebonite Hudson desk pen in Brian's custom pens gallery, but it is based on the Encore instead of the Hudson. I went exactly opposite for girth for the desk pen. It will be finished by Ernest Shin/Hakumin.

I like the feel and subtle beauty of the ebonite pens. My favorite is my #76 in beige and black swirl ebonite. I don't have any celluloid pens, I didn't realize it was available, but you've got my interest up in the celluloid again. Although the acrylic materials aren't my favorite for feel of the material, I do have many nice combinations using the acrylics.

You are spot on for Brian's customer service. He has always been attentive and answered my questions and put up with my requests, too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kia For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (March 30th, 2014)

Thanks

Kia, you will love that Encore as a desk pen. I received my Encore on Friday and have written about 35 A4 pages this weekend. I love it as it is, but the thought of having it as a desk pen keeps sneaking up on me.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

kia (March 30th, 2014), Tracy Lee (March 30th, 2014)

Thanks

Default My Edison Family

Tiffany, thank you for this wonderful intro to your Edison family. I will get an ebonite pen from Brian later this year.

The idea of combining ebonite and celluloid us pure genius! I might borrow that one day. (I could never use that Encore as eye dropper though, the orange material is too glorious to be 'disguised'. )
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

What a lovely collection! I really like your interesting combinations of materials. And an Edison Desk Pen! I didn't know such a thing existed! Way cool.

How do you like your Double-ended Pearl? What nibs do you have on it? Can you see the ink levels at all or is the antique marble opaque? I'm pretty sure that will be my next Edison, but I'm still trying to decide on which material.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post

(I could never use that Encore as eye dropper though, the orange material is too glorious to be 'disguised'. )
    It was a tough decision. I have some Sailor orange yellow that I thought of using to keep the orange color, but that wouldn't have fit my needs for this pen. I have a brush pen I use for highlighting.

You can't really see in the picture, but the ink filled barrel is beautiful. If someone hadn't seen the picture of the orange, they would say it was an amber/tortoise color. And if I change my mind, I can always clean out the barrel and use the converter.

Brian is great for helping you work through your choices when you aren't sure what you want. Give him a general idea, and he will come back with suggestions.

Thanks

Default My Edison Family

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    What a lovely collection! I really like your interesting combinations of materials. And an Edison Desk Pen! I didn't know such a thing existed! Way cool.

How do you like your Double-ended Pearl? What nibs do you have on it? Can you see the ink levels at all or is the antique marble opaque? I'm pretty sure that will be my next Edison, but I'm still trying to decide on which material.
    I can't take credit for the desk pen idea. I saw an ebonite version in a photo gallery somewhere--probably the same place Kia saw one--and I knew I would get one someday. It is too inconvenient for taking out of the house, but I use it a lot at home.

I use the Double Ended Pearl a lot at work. I usually have xf nibs on both ends and put two different inks in them for grading papers. I'm not going to be grading essays for the next few weeks, so I decided to switch things up and put a 1.1mm stub on one end with El Lawrence ink in both.

The Antique Marble material is translucent, but not transparent. I can see the ink level easily. Seeing the ink color in the barrel really depends on the light. With natural daylight from a window, I can see clearly. With flourescent lighting in a windowless room, I can't see the colors. It doesn't really matter, though, because the striations on the barrel differ enough that I can see at a glance which end is which now that I've used the pen for a while.

One more thing about that pen. It has a slightly wider girth than my bulb filler Pearl. I got the bulb filler second hand, so I don't know if it was made that way on purpose, but it's worth mentioning to someone considering a double ended Pearl.
    Last edited by tiffanyhenschel; March 30th, 2014 at 05:08 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

kia (March 30th, 2014), reprieve (March 30th, 2014), trhall (March 31st, 2014)

Thanks

Great collection Tiffany. Well thought out. I have a few Edison production pens, and used them exclusively as eye droppers. Love em.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A beautiful collection of Edisons. Thank you for sharing. I hope some day mine will look just like yours.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to TerraNoir For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TerraNoir View Post
    A beautiful collection of Edisons. Thank you for sharing. I hope some day mine will look just like yours.
    It has been a fun and rewarding process. I'm glad I don't have funds to get more than one pen at a time, even though I'm impatient to wait sometimes. (Aren't we all?!) I ordered my first Edison in June of 2011. I've sold at least three times this many pens since then (from various brands) as my needs and preferences have evolved. This represents a perfect collection for me. As you experiment and learn, your collection will be just as perfect for you if you pay attention to what you really like and disregard what is popular just because other people like it.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

TerraNoir (April 3rd, 2014), trhall (March 31st, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanyhenschel View Post
    This represents a perfect collection for me. As you experiment and learn, your collection will be just as perfect for you if you pay attention to what you really like and disregard what is popular just because other people like it.
    Could not have said this any better. Same feeling for me on going mostly custom pens, both Edison and Newton.

Lovely topic!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trhall For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (March 31st, 2014), Tracy Lee (March 31st, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

I love your collection. I just got my first edison pen and hope to collect a beautiful clutch of pens like yours.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    I love your collection. I just got my first edison pen and hope to collect a beautiful clutch of pens like yours.
    Congratulations on your first! Which one did you choose?

Thanks

I picked the Beaumont. I love bright orange and wanted a funky fun pen. Once I ordered it I know my budget would be tight for another nice pen.....thus I had Brian make another cap. It's fun...like a pen wardrobe. .

I have no regrets getting the pen. It's hands down an express of me. I know the pen colors are not majority of what people want....but it suits my personality.

Now the problem is....I want another one. I hoping to order another edison pen at the holidays.

25. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

jde (May 8th, 2014), kaisnowbird (March 31st, 2014), kia (March 31st, 2014), klpeabody (April 5th, 2014), lisantica (April 1st, 2014), LunaAzurina (March 31st, 2014), reprieve (March 31st, 2014), rgperedo (June 5th, 2014), Tracy Lee (March 31st, 2014), trhall (March 31st, 2014), veteli (April 6th, 2014)

Thanks

I picked the Beaumont. I love bright orange and wanted a funky fun pen. Once I ordered it I know my budget would be tight for another nice pen.....thus I had Brian make another cap. It's fun...like a pen wardrobe. .

I have no regrets getting the pen. It's hands down an express of me. I know the pen colors are not majority of what people want....but it suits my personality.

Now the problem is....I want another one. I hoping to order another edison pen at the holidays.
    That is a perfectly MARVELOUS idea. Great thinking! You might start a trend ...

I would have never guessed you liked orange.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyhenschel For This Useful Post:

LunaAzurina (March 31st, 2014), Tracy Lee (March 31st, 2014)

Thanks

Yup, my winter coat is orange. Handbag...orange. Many orange t shirts. I love fashion and thought why not another cap to change things up. Yes, guys....typical lady's thought.

I actually love your black and orange pen. Your whole is collection is beautiful. Brian is an artist and it's great to see his work through your pens.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (March 31st, 2014)

Thanks

Now this was good, creative thinking!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to kia For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 31st, 2014)

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

That is one cool pen! Having the two different caps to change up the look is brilliant.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to reprieve For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (March 31st, 2014)

Thanks

I'm amazed at how different your Encore Nouveau looks empty and filled, Tiffany. Glad you included the comparison photo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trhall View Post
    I'm amazed at how different your Encore Nouveau looks empty and filled, Tiffany. Glad you included the comparison photo.
    Even I am surprised at the difference, and it is my pen. As you can tell from the photos, I am partial to amber/tortoise colored pens, so the color shift doesn't bother me. It is a dark ink, though. MB Racing Green, which is really deep green/black/gray in the barrel. If someone was set on the bright orange, I would not suggest using it as an eye dropper!