Thread: Local Bay Area woodworker makes pens

Thanks

Default Local Bay Area woodworker makes pens

There is an outdoor crafts fair across from the ferry terminal market at the foot of Market Street in San Francisco,
    which I usually hasten my way through since it tends to be aimed at the tourist trade,
    but this weekend I dallied there a bit and discovered that a Bay Area wood turner has tried his hand at making pens;

http://woodelfin.com/Pens.htm

His name is Ron Menninga, and has been hobbying hardwood bowls and accessories for years, and now also makes hardwood pens to order,
    in a price range that sounds pretty good by FPGeeks standards.

On his table when I happened by was a pretty attractive turned piece in Pepper Tree wood --

[I would attach the photos I took of it if this forum's Windiotic attachments process would
    play nicely with my iPhoto library on a modern computer, but I don't have the patience right now; will try again later
    I really don't know how you Windows/PC people put up with this s*it]

In any case, check the link and the Wood Elfin gallery for some examples of nice pens.
    He uses Schmidt nibs, and threads both the barrel end and the posting end of the pens, which is an interesting touch.

Note that I asked him if he had listed himself on any of the Fountain Pen websites and he said he hadn't; I volunteered to mention him here.
    “Si nous résistons à nos passions, c'est plus par leur faiblesse que par notre force.”
    -- François de La Rochefoucauld

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Local Bay Area woodworker makes pens

Sounds cool, looking forward to it. Check the Apple fanboi stuff, though - the site is very easy for me, both from PC and Android. Think different.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Default Re: Local Bay Area woodworker makes pens

Looks like a similar kit to the one my dad made me. Mine's got a "dayacom" nib but same fittings.
    Very useful being able to post the cap if you want to.
    Last edited by Brisboy; April 4th, 2014 at 10:55 PM.