Thread: Stained Section

Thanks

Default Stained Section

I received my new Pelikan M600 white tortoise today, and when I inked it up the section was stained quite badly. The section didn't come clean with water and a rag, however, when I rubbed the section with my fingers the stain did eventually come off. The ink is Noodler's 54th and seems to function well, but I don't want to continue using it if there is a chance for permanent damage. I have used Montblanc Midnight Blue in a white Lamy Safari and noticed no staining at all. Has anyone with a White M600, or other white pen noticed any staining with other inks? Is there a protective measure I can take to lessen the risk, such as silicon grease on the section? Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Stained Section

Highly saturated inks like Noodlres can and will bring problems with long term use. The best thing to do is not to use them if we do not want to accept the problems that may occur. There is a great article about higly saturated inks on mr. Richard Binder blog, later I will put the link here.
    Best regards
    Vasco

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

jackwebb (April 4th, 2014), Jeph (April 4th, 2014)

Thanks

Thanks, being new at this I don't know the difference in highly saturated vs. standard inks. I will take a look at the blog, and once this fill is done I will change to the Montblanc till I find something else.

Thanks

Its not Mr. Binder's Blog, is Ron Zorn's blog BLUE FINGERS. There you can find this interesting article about sac types and there is also addressed one of the problems highly saturated inks can bring.

I am not talking against the use of such inks, but we as users need to decide prior to use them if we are willing to accept the risks that use can bring. It is all a question of Cost Vs Benefit...
    Last edited by piscov; April 4th, 2014 at 09:33 AM.
    Best regards
    Vasco

6. The Following User Says Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

jackwebb (April 4th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piscov View Post
    Highly saturated inks like Noodlres can and will bring problems with long term use. The best thing to do is not to use them if we do not want to accept the problems that may occur. There is a great article about higly saturated inks on mr. Richard Binder blog, later I will put the link here.
    Is this the article to which you were referring on Mr. B's site?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 4th, 2014), jackwebb (April 4th, 2014), piscov (April 4th, 2014)

Thanks

The one I wanted to mention was the one I´ve linked above, but that one also addresses problems caused by such inks. Thank you for linking it here!
    Last edited by piscov; April 4th, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
    Best regards
    Vasco

10. The Following User Says Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

jackwebb (April 5th, 2014)

Thanks

Jackwebb, I use Noodler's 54th, and although it does have a tendency towards staining, I have always been able to remove all traces & stains with a good cleaning. What are you using for a pen flush?

Wile, thanks for the link. It was a good article that led to several other good articles.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

jackwebb (April 5th, 2014)

Thanks

Its not Mr. Binder's Blog, is Ron Zorn's blog BLUE FINGERS. There you can find this interesting article about sac types and there is also addressed one of the problems highly saturated inks can bring.

I am not talking against the use of such inks, but we as users need to decide prior to use them if we are willing to accept the risks that use can bring. It is all a question of Cost Vs Benefit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Is this the article to which you were referring on Mr. B's site?
    After reading these articles I decided to remove the Noodler's form my Pelikan and use it in my Lamy for a while to see how it responds. My intention was to use the Lamy for testing different inks in the first place, guess I was just too excited to ink up the Pelikan. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreck View Post
    Jackwebb, I use Noodler's 54th, and although it does have a tendency towards staining, I have always been able to remove all traces & stains with a good cleaning. What are you using for a pen flush?

Wile, thanks for the link. It was a good article that led to several other good articles.
    I'm using a water, ammonia, and dish detergent solution. I have to say there is no sine of the Noodler's left in the Pelikan but wasn't ready to chance it on an expensive white pen.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jackwebb For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 5th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

There are many inks out there that can cause staining, and I wouldn't even say that Noodler's is special in this regard. Diamine has some. Heck, J. Herbin even has some. When using a light-colored pen it is best to research each individual ink one wishes to use. I do choose between different inks in different pens based on how easy that ink choice will be to clean out (and off) of that particular pen.
    Last edited by mhosea; April 6th, 2014 at 12:10 AM.
    --
    Mike

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 7th, 2014), cwent2 (April 5th, 2014), jackwebb (April 5th, 2014), Jon Szanto (April 7th, 2014), Scrawler (April 6th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

It is not the saturation that causes the staining. Noodlers is not just one formulation and it is wrong to label them all the same. There are some that are known for staining, and others that are known to dry in the feed leaving particulates to clog it up. Some like Nikita will not even stain the paper, because you can wash it off, nor clog the feed. When speaking of Noodlers inks you must be specific about which class of their inks you are referring to. There are some Noodlers inks, HoD being and example that I will use in almost any modern or antique pen.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 7th, 2014), jackwebb (April 6th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

This is good to know, I've been admiring that White Tortoise for a long time. I'd be the noob to put my Baystate Blue in it.....
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    This is good to know, I've been admiring that White Tortoise for a long time. I'd be the noob to put my Baystate Blue in it.....
    Luckily I'm not a blue fan and I ran across the BSB posts beforehand, or I might have done the same.

"There’s two ways to change the way a guy feels about you. You can catch him on fire, or you can slap him" - Marcus Luttrell

Instagram: jackw3bb

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Blue ink in a white and brown pen? Come on people, let's put our thinking caps on!!! What next, mayo on hot dogs?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Blue ink in a white and brown pen? Come on people, let's put our thinking caps on!!! What next, mayo on hot dogs?
    What?

"There’s two ways to change the way a guy feels about you. You can catch him on fire, or you can slap him" - Marcus Luttrell

Instagram: jackw3bb

23. The Following User Says Thank You to jackwebb For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 7th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

(Oh, I'm aware of it, believe me...)
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    It has been done by a friend: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo.../#entry1409291
    Last edited by Scrawler; April 8th, 2014 at 12:36 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

jackwebb (April 8th, 2014)