Thread: Bought a couple of inexpensive old pens on ebay

Thanks

Default Bought a couple of inexpensive old pens on ebay

Er, confession time. I am away on business and a little bored in the evenings.

I recently decided I wanted to try some older pens, to be honest I REALLY want a PFM but am still getting round to justifying the expense. In the mean time I have been foolishly browsing ebay in the evenings (actually looking for a Parker 51 if I am totally honest)

After getting a bit over-excited and with no research I impulsively bought these two pens :

Sheaffer Black Snorkel Fountain Pen 14k Gold Nib Made in Australia
    Fountain Pen Sheaffer'S Black with S/steel cap Made in USA

It has a snorkel! They weren't expensive so no real damage done but could anyone shed any light on what they are or point me to a good reference?

Jolltax

Thanks

Default Re: Bought a couple of inexpensive old pens on ebay

Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

As to the link to Richard Binder's site, click on "Reference Pages" and look for information on pen model, specifically the Sheaffer Snorkel.

If you don't have any real experience in servicing pens yourself, you'll probably want to send the Snorkel pen(s) to a good restorer, as they are fairly complicated. The problem is that if the sac leaks, it puts liquid in the barrel which has a lot of metal parts. Best to let a pro do it, and it shouldn't cost too much, though I'm speaking mostly of US repair guys (don't know where you are located, Jolltax).
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Hiya, thanks so much for your replies. I couldn't find on Richards Pens but I went here instead perhaps I have bought a Sheaffer Admiral and an Imperial II? Hard to say, but if turns out to be those two and they are in half decent condition I will be happy.

Good advice on the servicing - I live in the UK. I will have a good root round on these forums for anyone. Although I love my pens I am very much a user so as long as they function and don't fall apart I dont mind if they look a bit mankey.

Thanks!

Jolltax
    Last edited by Jolltax; April 7th, 2014 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,040 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jolltax View Post
    Hiya, thanks so much for your replies. I couldn't find on Richards Pens but I went here instead perhaps I have bought a Sheaffer Admiral and an Imperial II? Hard to say, but if turns out to be those two and they are in half decent condition I will be happy.

Good advice on the servicing - I live in the UK. I will have a good root round on these forums for anyone. Although I love my pens I am very much a user so as long as they function and don't fall apart I dont mind if they look a bit mankey.

Thanks!

Jolltax
    I think IDing them will be a lot easier when they are in hand, as the photos, especially the second pen, don't give a lot of info.

The main thing is to understand how a snorkel filler works and test it with some water first - if it is leaking internally, you don't want to get ink all over everything just finding out the sac is gone. Even if you buy these pens as NOS (new old stock), there is a tendency for the seals and gaskets, as well as the rubber sac, to age and cause leaks or not fill properly. Unless I know it has been restored for certain, I always have a guy re-do the filling system on these pens.

BTW, member Annie posts a lot here, and holds a pen gathering in London at "The Hole" (I believe). She would be a good source of people in the UK to contact for restoration. Once done, you'll have at least one good pen (I think the Snorkels, in good working order, are some of the best vintage pens around). Have fun!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (April 9th, 2014)

Thanks

Hi,

Your Aust. snorkel appears to be an "Admiral" , these where one of the cheaper models when new and a common Aust. model ( the "Clipper" being the other most often seen Aussie model). Australian production ran from 1954 to 1962, somewhat out of step with US production, and most turn up in the UK. It's hard to be any more precise with a date but I suspect yours is pre 1960. I've yet to see an Australian snorkel in any colour other than the 5 original ones, black being the most common. The second is an Imperial II (2). Both are well made pens that should be nice to use. As Jon mentioned both probably need new sacs etc.

Regards
    Hugh

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HughC For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (April 9th, 2014)

Thanks

Hooray! I am still away on business and won't actually get my hands on my purchases for another 10 days but I am pretty excited about them.
    I just need to accidentally find a bargain PFM somewhere now!

Thanks

Most comprehensive Snorkel guide. Still beta (needs couple pics and tweaks)

Vacumania Snorkel Guide

regards

david
    David R. Isaacson, MD

http://www.vacumania.com : Sales site for guaranteed, restored collectible pens.

The Fountain Pen Board /FPnuts : Archived Message Board with focus on vintage.

The Fountain Pen Journal: The new glossy full-color print magazine, published/edited by iconic fountain pen author Paul Erano.

Facebook pen group "Fountain Pens"/FPnuts: Davey's casual Facebook group for collectible pens.
    31000 members and growing. World's heftiest daily vintage pen eye candy

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to david i For This Useful Post:

Jeph (April 8th, 2014), Jolltax (April 9th, 2014), Jon Szanto (April 7th, 2014)

Thanks

Thanks David, I wil have a good look round.