Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whoa. 10 years of dried ink

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OcalaFlGuy View Post
    For worst scenario cases like this, IF I'm not dealing with vintage celluloid or other questionable material (and you aren't here)
    I often bump the Ammonia up to 20%.

Ivan, DO NOT attempt to disassemble the nib section on the Cross. There is a congenital problem with the CCI nib sections where
    the nib will loosen in the section and not be repairable. Cross has no more CCI sections. I would do nothing more than ultrasonically
    clean this nib. (When you can again, search FPN for Cross Century nib wobble.)

For the sonicator, find yourself a small thin plastic disposable cup (NOT styrofoam!) fill that about 2/3 up with 20% Ammonia water
    and your nib sections and go hunt out a local jewelry (repair) store or pawnshop and take the cup in there. Ask them to put the whole
    cup in their cleaner. (Might want to be sure the level his fairly high on the cup so it stays submerged.) The sonicator waves will pass
    right through the plastic cup to the nibs but the cup keeps the Ammonia water out of their solution. I'd sit there and chat with them
    for the 6-10 minutes it took. If they charge you at all, it shouldn't be much.

[EDIT] If you'd rather, use the Google search for FPN, that still works if the site is down.

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=01...95:1rsitsemrpo

Bruce in Ocala, FL
    Whoa. Lots of hits on "Cross Century nib wobble" search. Okay. Thank you very much for the info.

I ran out of ammonia hence the water treatment. I might have to stop at the grocery store for another bottle on my way home. Bulb syring makes the water flow clear through the section. I fill the section with water and it does drip out of the nib fairly fast so it seems the feed is fairly clear of obstructions. I am thinking there may be a dried clump of ink somewhere in the feed that is slowly disolving.

The Waterman is a bit odd. When I flush it with the bulb syringe, water comes out of the nib but it also comes out from under a trim ring at the end of the section. Under normal inking I don't think it will be a problem but I don't like it as it seems like a potential leak waiting to happen.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,423 Times in 1,715 Posts

Good luck with all of these. What a great thing you are doing here.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Sounds like lots of work. I agree with many of the others ...
    You are a very kind and generous person for doing this for your coworker. She's lucky to have a friend like you!

Thanks

I am just doing what I thought would be right and maybe if I can get someone else to appreciate fountain pens, that is definitely a plus.

Status Update:

- Sheaffer is all put back together and clean. I am going to ink it today
    - Cross is put back together and clean. I am going to ink it today.
    - Pelikan was put together yesterday and then quickly put back to soak. I usually try out the nib dry, on paper, to get a feel for how rough or smooth the nib is and I was surprised when a nice bold black line was put down. There was still ink re-hydrating and coming out of it. I just kept writing until it ran dry. Then, I put it to soak one more night with an ammonia solution. I pulled it out this morning and the water/ammonia solution was relatively clear this time. It is drying on some tissue to see if I can draw out any more ink. If the tissue shoes more black, then more soaking. So far the tissue is clean.
    -Waterman - The section is drying and it looks promising. No ink spots on the tissue so far.

Thanks

Very nice of you, Ivan. Hopefully your coworker will use the pens and they will bring back fond memories of her father.

Thanks

Well, that's a Pelikan for ya'! As long as there is any life/ink left in them, they'll write. But surprising indeed, given they are relatively easy to take apart and clean.

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

FP_GaF

I must admit I envy you for this job, Ivan. It is such an enjoyable task to bring a beautiful pen back to life. Every time I work on a pen that has been neglected for whatever reason I am amazed what you can find underneath the ink and the dirt. When a pen finally shines again and I ink it up for the first time after the restoration I am a very happy person indeed.

Good on you, mate!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geoduc View Post
    Very nice of you, Ivan. Hopefully your coworker will use the pens and they will bring back fond memories of her father.
    She says she wants to give them to the grand kids. They are college age but she is unsure if they will appreciate them.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpen53 View Post
    Well, that's a Pelikan for ya'! As long as there is any life/ink left in them, they'll write. But surprising indeed, given they are relatively easy to take apart and clean.
    I know I was surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by FP_GaF View Post
    I must admit I envy you for this job, Ivan. It is such an enjoyable task to bring a beautiful pen back to life. Every time I work on a pen that has been neglected for whatever reason I am amazed what you can find underneath the ink and the dirt. When a pen finally shines again and I ink it up for the first time after the restoration I am a very happy person indeed.

Good on you, mate!
    Thanks!

Update

I dip tested all the pens and washed them again and let them dry. My favorites are the Cross Century and the Pelikan M600. There is something about the nib and feed of that Pelikan that really shows off the ink. Here is a scan of the tests. The Sheaffer wanted to railroad when I flexed it but it is just a dip test. The paper is #16 Rhodia R-pad, ink is Waterman Absolute Brown. I am going to actually have to test the filling system and feed.

FPdiptests by IvanRomero, on Flickr

Thanks

Looking good, Ivan. Looking very good. Hope the filling systems will work out just as well.

Cheers,
    Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Thanks

Well, all the pens are back home. All but one fully functional. The Pelikan needs servicing. I tried lubing the piston but it is still very tight to the point I know something is going to break. I am waiting on Chartpak to see what can be done about it. In the mean time, I showed her how to fill the pen with a syringe and the nib unit out of the pen.

Today she brought me a pen that her father had given to her husband some years ago. It looks like a second or third tier pen. Black lacquer over brass with lots of chipping of the laquer. No marking as to what brand it may be. One interesting thing is this has to be pre 90's because the nib says, "Iridium Point W Germany". I thought that was pretty cool. A dried cartridge is in it and it actually fell out of the section. There is dry ink everywhere. More cleaning is in order!