Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamy Collection

Thanks

isn't the D Napalm the two toned Mercurochrome color? blue would certainly muddy that one.

The light blue/red clip is my favorite collector color.

The missing links in the ABS color wheel are purple, brown, dark green, and more textures.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Hi Maja, Thanks for placating Dan & Eric with your photo. That is a very nice collection you've assembled. Those marbly red custom barrels look rather attractive.
    I've got to keep away from the Studios and Dialogues.
    How does the ABC feel compared to the Nexx ?
    You're welcome---you're in Oz and I'm in Canada so I might have had a time zone advantage (and thanks for posting your own pic---love the AL-Stars!) Thanks also to Etoyoc for the photo---it's a lovely collection...not "meager" at all

To answer your question re: the Lamy ABC vs. the Lamy Nexx M (I don't have the regular Nexx)....Well, I have them both in front of me....and the barrels are almost exactly the same length (and weight) but the ABC's is made of of maple wood & plastic vs. the aluminum of the Nexx M.....the rubber gripping sections are similar in shape but not exactly the same (the Nexx has a larger gripping area---this might be important if someone has really big hands).....the nibs & feeds look like twins.....All in all, the pens have some simlarities, except the Nexx M can be posted but the ABC cannot. Again, if your hands are huge (mine are average size for a woman, maybe a bit larger than average) the ABC might be a bit small for you, but it's a fun pen and has that sort of "IKEA Kids" vibe to it...which I like

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Thanks Maja, I sort of suspected the Nexx has a slightly longer grip area. You're right about the ABC having an IKEA vibe.
    The only difference between the Nexx & NexxM is the cap.

Pen2Paper, To my eyes Dragon's Napalm is an intense fluro red colour. Noodler's Cayene is more of a "Mercurochrome color" and did forget to clean the blue out which really did muddy the colour so much that I had to clean it out later. Noodler's Habanero is a lighter version of Cayene and also Mercurochromish. D.Naplam so far is wetter than Cayene or Habanero and doesn't seem to shade much at all while the two oranges show a lot of shading.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Cool thread!

Safari
    White
    Black
    Blue
    Red
    Yellow
    Apple Green
    Pink
    Aquamarine
    Griso (on its way)
    Vista

Al Star
    Coffee
    Ocean Blue
    Silver
    Ruby Red
    Raspberry
    Purple Black
    Silver Green
    Silver Blue

Edited to add: Lamy 2000
    Still need a Charcoal Safari and Graphite Al Star! I've lost hope in ever acquiring a Lime or Orange Safari at a reasonable price

Thanks

Again, thanks Maja. As cute as the ABC is, you've just saved me from an error; being allergic to the proteins in natural rubber, those finger grips are impossible for me to use. I'll just enjoy viewing them in the collections of pen friends. : )

Thanks for the color details Bogon. I have an orange Safari "on the way". Would like to dedicate a special color for exclusive use to avoid any muddying, or staining issues. Have you used these in Safari?

Vistafan, you have a stellar collection already! It just been my quiet thought, but with the new Apple green flooding the market, and the secondary release of Lime in other countries, I think the Lime value will drop.. so keep looking : )
    Rather than just the bay, do keep an eye on classifieds. I often see collectors shifting focus, placing their random Safari examples for sale among other mid-range pens.
    Unless Safari Never produces a purple or brown, I don't see myself moving into Al-Star. Wait I ought to add silver, or gold should they add that. In reality I love to Use my pens. Can't see them laying about as trophy's. I would have denied myself the smooth incredible pleasure of the dark blue italic just yesterday. What a great writing pen! I keep picking it to doodle a word something.

Finally, (sorry this is lengthy), I do see that FPN is back online today, but I came here 1st. Not sure exactly where to note this. But since Lamy forum is very comfy I just wanted to express my sincere thanks for the very warm, welcoming reception to all of Us from FPN <3 I'm quite sure my heart & brain are Geek shaped, whatever that is ; ). So if you'll have me, this will be a second residence. Viewing the "Geeks" at the shows, and listening to the poscast's, we're all on the same plane. Friendly enthusiasm with a desire to share, and help others be successful in their inky endeavors.
    Thanks Geeks, You/We Are Cool!

Thanks

@ pen2paper---you're very welcome! I Sorry to hear about the rubber allergy....I checked the LamyUSA site and they say the Nexx M grip is "contoured rubber grip ". They describe the Lamy ABC as having "a non-slip, rubberised plastic grip." Whether the latter is natural rubber, I have no idea....Glad to hear that you have a Flame Safari on the way--enjoy!

Thanks

Hi & welcome, Vistafan. That is an extensive collection you have. I wouldn't give up hope of acquiring a Lime or Orange Safari at a reasonable price yet as Lamy seem to do limited releases of those. I think my Orange Safari is one of those released recently in Asia. It has a button or dot cap rather than the usual cross or +. The Charcoal is a real star in the Safari lineup the textured satin look is different from the rest of the line up.

Pen2Paper, my orange Safari is loaded with Habanero. I try to match the ink to the pen colour if I can.

Thanks

Maja, Lamy USA confirmed the Nexx was rubber. It's just best to avoid. I'm very pleased with my basic Safari's : )

Just inked the Charcoal this week. Just a super pen! Even though the ABS red, with black clip still looks great after rugged service, the Textured Charcoal appears superior.

Bogon, ink color dedicated to the rainbow range is my aim too. When the orange/silver clip arrives, will shoot an order to Goulet's. Thinking Meadow Green for the the Lime, Cactus for the new Green.
    What inks look good in the Vista?

Thanks

Pen2Paper, the Vista has only ever had Noodler's Aircorp BlueBlack in it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Pen2Paper, the Vista has only ever had Noodler's Aircorp BlueBlack in it.
    ok, now I need to know why - because you like viewing that color through the Vista?
    I think I would put this in the black pen, and a brighter color in the Vista.
    But, I don't yet have a Vista. I could be swayed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pen2paper View Post
    ok, now I need to know why - because you like viewing that color through the Vista?
    I think I would put this in the black pen, and a brighter color in the Vista.
    But, I don't yet have a Vista. I could be swayed.
    Sorry here comes a boring reply.
    Its the 1st Pen and 1st Ink purchased syndrome and I like Aircorp with a medium nib. You can see some colour nuances of the ink in the Vista.

For a brighter colour I'd maybe swap J.Herbin Vert Reseda into it.

Thanks

Picked up a Pink Safari with a B nib @ the PenShoppe.
    Forgot to get a Z24 converter but I'm thinking of maybe re-using the Lamy cartridges instead. Besides I'll need a syringe to get ink out of those .J.Herbin bottle eventully.

Not writing terribly well for a B nib, it took quite a while to start and started out black and now is an interesting blue-black not the usual wishywashy Lamy blue !
    Seems like some-one tried out a black ink with the pen in the shop. Needs a real flush out when I get home today.

Thanks

black ink in a pink safari...?
    B nib too.. ought to have some wonderful two-toned wowser ink.

Thanks

Inked my 2012 Green with Diamine Meadow - perfection.

I also have Diamine Saddle in my Charcoal.
    Diamine is 2 for 2 well-behaved in my Safari's.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tytoalba View Post
    black ink in a pink safari...?
    B nib too.. ought to have some wonderful two-toned wowser ink.
    Cleaning indicated not only black ink cloging the guts but also a bit pink magenta appeared when tring to dry the feed system !!!
    Any atleast it now writes in a more free flowing manner and the ink now looks properly Lamy blue.

tytoalba, congratulations on the Apple Green Safari + the Charcoal.
    Last edited by dannzeman; May 3rd, 2013 at 09:28 AM.

Thanks

Not what I'd call a collection, just a pair. (with a third on the way) But I only just started......

- Tom -
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it."
    — Caesare Innocente

Thanks

unlike "other pens", two safari's , particularly when photographed so very well, = collection : )

Thanks

well, as soon as my next safari arrives, I am done.
    the terra/vannah/edish/pan/many will have to remain forever out there. too rich for me.
    My pen box holds a finite amount.
    Finally, I was Forced ; ) to spring for the Goulet special free shipping at a certain price, and including the package price for Vista 1.1, with converter, full sized bottle Lamy ink, and Rhodia dot pad..

Tom, Used my 2012 green yesterday. Diamine Meadow a perfect match - (not waterproof, but like the flow in Safari).

Thanks

wonder if the Pink Safari had been left with Noodler's Swan Roses, and not flushed before you found it?
    Lots of flushing to remove every last bit.. I have Roses and Blue Heron - my G order included JB's pen flush for this very reason.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tytoalba View Post
    wonder if the Pink Safari had been left with Noodler's Swan Roses, and not flushed before you found it?
    Well, as soon as my next safari arrives, I am done.
    Nah, too intense a pink to be BSiAR. Who knows how long the inks had been left in the pen.

"Well, as soon as my next safari arrives, I am done." ...... haha I don't know how may times I've thought that too.

A good start Lt Tom. What is the next colour ?
    Last edited by dannzeman; May 3rd, 2013 at 09:28 AM.