Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheaffer Legacy Fantasy. It's Epic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

Cool Sheaffer Legacy Fantasy. It's Epic.

I have been searching the internet high and low after seeing this pen for it's story. I can't for the life of me find it. I know Franklin Christoph made the body. I know Sheaffer made the rest. I know a Mr. Rouse was involved somehow. If anyone knows the full backstory to this pen please enlighten us all. I quite enjoy the way it writes. It's a bit springy and you can get some line variation. It is smooth when used with no pressure and gets toothy as you add flex pressure. I've never seen one of these in person and was hoping it was a bit larger, but, it's not bad at all!! And now, SOME PHOTOS!!!!

The ink is Diamine Pumpkin. I have a sample of Noodler's Apache Sunset en route for this pen.

This pen is incredibly hard to photograph properly. I set up my usual flash layout and proceeded to get a flat orange pen body. I had to get creative to get the pearl marbling to show up.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bogon07 (April 17th, 2014), earthdawn (April 16th, 2014), GING GING (October 12th, 2014), Haefennasiel (April 7th, 2016), jadehawk (August 5th, 2014), Jeph (April 17th, 2014), Jon Szanto (April 17th, 2014), kaisnowbird (April 17th, 2014), kia (April 17th, 2014), Lady Onogaro (April 17th, 2014), LunaAzurina (April 17th, 2014), Manupropria (May 7th, 2014), Marsilius (March 6th, 2016), Mesu (May 6th, 2014), mgmmaze (March 20th, 2016), Murfie (April 17th, 2014), rpsyed (September 12th, 2015), RuiFromUK (August 6th, 2014), TerraNoir (April 22nd, 2014), VertOlive (May 7th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: Sheaffer Legacy Fantasy. It's Epic.

You suck.

Great pen.

That is all.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

00Photo (April 17th, 2014), cwent2 (April 17th, 2014), jadehawk (August 5th, 2014), kia (April 17th, 2014), Marsilius (March 6th, 2016), TerraNoir (April 22nd, 2014), Tracy Lee (April 17th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Thumbs up Re: Sheaffer Legacy Fantasy. It's Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    I have been searching the internet high and low after seeing this pen for it's story. I can't for the life of me find it. I know Franklin Christoph made the body. I know Sheaffer made the rest. I know a Mr. Rouse was involved somehow. If anyone knows the full backstory to this pen please enlighten us all. I quite enjoy the way it writes. It's a bit springy and you can get some line variation. It is smooth when used with no pressure and gets toothy as you add flex pressure. I've never seen one of these in person and was hoping it was a bit larger, but, it's not bad at all!! And now, SOME PHOTOS!!!!

The ink is Diamine Pumpkin. I have a sample of Noodler's Apache Sunset en route for this pen.

This pen is incredibly hard to photograph properly. I set up my usual flash layout and proceeded to get a flat orange pen body. I had to get creative to get the pearl marbling to show up.
    Absolutely STUNNING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

00Photo (April 17th, 2014)

Thanks

Hector, can you at least tell us how you came to become the owner of this pen? That it is absolutely gorgeous is incontestable, and I assume the writing as well (I'm awaiting my own (first) PFM back from the restorer), but you've posed more questions than you've answered!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

This guy I've NEVER heard of named Dan Smith had it for sale for a while. The longer I stared at that ad, the more distant became the voices telling me to spend my pen money on something more practical. When I could not longer hear those voices over me shouting OOOOOOOO SHINY!!! I pulled the trigger and bought it. I'm glad I did. It's a great pen.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....eaffer+fantasy

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (April 17th, 2014), ypsilanti (April 17th, 2014)

Thanks

I am satisfied.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Great looking pen. Like an american revision of the Delta Black & orange Oros.

Are you sure the body isn't radioactive !
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I know a little. The Rouse is the son of Jimmy Rouse who developed the Harundale Mall in Glen Burnie, Md. It was the first East Coast enclosed mall in the US. He also created and developed Columbia Maryland which was a total departure from the normal suburban concept. The idea was to build 'neighborhoods' so that most any service from schools to church to shopping to recreation would be within walking distance of your house.

The pens were marketed through Franklin-Christoph.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

amk (March 11th, 2016), HORNS (July 10th, 2016), Jeph (April 17th, 2014)

Thanks

This is a really nice pen!

I do not care for the Delta pens, similar in material looks, but this Sheaffer is all the good that I just don't see in a Delta. I am quite envious.

Thank you for sharing!

Thanks

That is outstanding looking pen.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

I almost bought that pen. Like you...I stared at off and on....but I'm saving for an custom edison. So glad it found a home with someone who loves orange.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

This guy I've NEVER heard of named Dan Smith had it for sale for a while. The longer I stared at that ad, the more distant became the voices telling me to spend my pen money on something more practical. When I could not longer hear those voices over me shouting OOOOOOOO SHINY!!! I pulled the trigger and bought it. I'm glad I did. It's a great pen.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....eaffer+fantasy
    WOW ... your very lucky I did not see that ad... I would have jumped on it!

Congrats again... really a stunning pen !!!

Thanks

I was thinking about one of these listed by speerbob but he didn't have my nib size. I believe he still has them for sale.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to broadoblique For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (April 17th, 2014)

Thanks

The great thing is, you can screw it onto any Sheaffer Legacy nib unit. Just get the pretty one, then find a nib unit in the size you want.

I'm thinking about doing that with a Visconti Merry-go-round for Meyer, I like italics so I would probably get an italic calligraphy set and then steal the nib for the Meyer pen.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 20th, 2014)

Thanks

That pen is unbelievably beautiful. I want it! We all want it!!! As for your handwriting, it makes me ashamed of mine and I am starting to get a complex about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

That pen is amazing!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

These images make me wish I had held onto it! Absolutely stunning photos, Hector.

Would you mind sharing your setup for capturing the following image?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to dannzeman For This Useful Post:

LunaAzurina (April 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

It's a good thing there is such a thing as metadata because I don't remember. I have a "usual" setup that I had to toss out the window and I just started dialing apertures and shutter speeds around like a madman trying to get the sparkles. Here's the setup:

I am using a Canon 40D with a grip and remote flash trigger (this information is not important but sounds cool), I used ISO 100 for punchy color saturation. I was using a 100mm f/2.8L macro lens with image stabilization. I used f/8, Manual focus. There is a Canon 430EX flash unit laying on the paper to camera left doing a great job of lighting up that dust spot just above the c in the word scales. If you look at the end of the pen you can see the line between the dark and light. That line is the shadow of the pen. If you follow that line to the left you will deduce the location of the flash unit. I was hand holding another flash just above and in front of the pen with my left hand. With the right hand I was working the camera. The focus was achieved by moving my big fat head forwards and backwards slowly as you can't really rely on autofocus for macro shots. The shutter speed was 1/6th of a second. I had to take this photo 3 times as the first two were blurry. Shooting offhand with a shutter speed that slow requires a special technique that involves inhaling a full breath, letting it out 60%, then timing the shutter release between your heartbeats. Same technique you use for shooting firearms. I had to really concentrate on my heart beats on that third shot.

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 00Photo For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (April 22nd, 2014), dannzeman (April 23rd, 2014), earthdawn (April 22nd, 2014), Jon Szanto (May 22nd, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

"Same technique you use for shooting firearms."

Carl Hathcock with a camera......
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I've wanted one of these ever since I saw yours here on the forum. Mine was finally delivered today. It came with the 18kt fine nib, as in your photo.

What a gem--thank you for the inspiration!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

00Photo (August 5th, 2014), RuiFromUK (August 6th, 2014)