Thread: Lefthanded Paper Choice

Thanks

Default Lefthanded Paper Choice

I have recently started buying quality paper such as Rhodia and Clair. I'm learning paper choice is as important as my ink choice being lefthanded. I recently bought a pad of Rhodia premier and finding that ink dry times have increased using this paper.Being an underhanded writer the ink still smears some.

When choosing quality paper how does one figure out how quickly it absorbs the ink?

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

Default Re: Lefthanded Paper Choice

I avoid glossy or shiny papers as a south paw. I admit to using Tomoe River but generally avoid any glossy smooth papers.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

southpaw52 (April 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I avoid glossy or shiny papers as a south paw.
    That ^^
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

I don't care as long as I've a big sheet of blotting paper handy. Or it not - write under the line.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    I don't care as long as I've a big sheet of blotting paper handy. Or it not - write under the line.
    I've gotten into the habit of resting my writing hand on a sheet of Zeller Writing Co's heavyweight blotting paper. Not only does it help keep the oils from my hand out of the paper, but it gives me a guide to help maintain a somewhat horizontal line.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (April 26th, 2014), southpaw52 (April 18th, 2014)

Thanks

Me? Im an over-writer trying to learn to be an underwriter... and not very successfully at that! I want to be able to write without thinking about whether the ink will smear or not... which for my writing style is not very easy to do.

I find paper choice inherently coupled with ink choice... nevertheless my experiences are broken down into over-generic simplifications and are as follows:
    Clairefontaine (in general) produces a touch too long of a dry time for me...
    Rhodia - Standard 80gsm Rhodia is the longest dry time paper that I purchase. the premium stuff
    Apica - My favorite paper recently has been Apica CD-11 notebooks. Good size (A5)... good dry time... easily portable.. affordable (<10 cents per sheet)
    I have begun playing with the idea of assembling my own notebooks using 28# laser paper (~105gsm). I have some Georgia Pacific that is pretty good... I know Julie (peaceablewriter.wordpress.com) assembles her own... a little effort can get you exactly what you want. Laserjet paper often has nearly as smooth paper for a third of the price or less... an then if you cut in half or fold in half for A5... a sixth of the price.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kallenpj For This Useful Post: