Thread: B5 notebooks

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Default B5 notebooks

After years of switching back and forth between A5 (too small) and A4 (too large) notebooks, I've recently discovered that B5 is the perfect size for me. Does anyone else prefer this in-between size? What are your favorite B5 notebooks?

Thanks

Default Re: B5 notebooks

I agree with you and am a fan of B5 notebooks. As a left-hander, I also find B5 ideal for meetings since I'm usually cramped for space with all those right-handers hogging my side of the table. I use Life! Notebooks & some "unknown" brands from a Japanese chain in Australia (called Daiso) that have a good, low cost range with nice paper.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Newjelan For This Useful Post:

reprieve (April 19th, 2014), Tracy Lee (April 19th, 2014), ypsilanti (April 20th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

I love this size as well...

I just got these in from Japan today! Santa Trading on Amazon. Took 3 weeks to arrive but shipping was free for a total of $9.40 usd.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

heath (April 21st, 2014), reprieve (April 19th, 2014), Tracy Lee (April 20th, 2014), ypsilanti (April 20th, 2014)

Thanks

I like the Campus notebooks, too. I have been using those and B5 Apica notebooks.

Has anyone had any luck finding a B5 sized Moleskine/Leuchtturm-style notebook? I have a couple of the large TWSBI notebooks, and those have worked out pretty well, though I would like something with a slightly higher build quality. I also have a Semikolon Professional, but it doesn't have an elastic closure or a pocket (also the paper ruling is wiiiiiide). Has anyone found any other options?

Thanks

I think the Quo Vadis Habana comes in B5 size. They are definitely at a higher price point than Leuctturm, but I think the build-quality you are looking for is there.
    Beware of oblique conclusions.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

Cookies (April 21st, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by klpeabody View Post
    I think the Quo Vadis Habana comes in B5 size. They are definitely at a higher price point than Leuctturm, but I think the build-quality you are looking for is there.
    Great build quality and paper. However the lines are very close together, which I love since I write quite small, but I know many are annoyed by it.

Thanks

According to their website, the Quo Vadis Habana comes in A4, A5 and A6 sizes.
    Trying to save the day for the Old World man
    Trying to pave the way for the Third World man

Thanks

Reprieve, my apologies for the misstatement. I guess I don't know which to apologize for more: (a) that I misspoke or (b) that after all this time, I actually thought Quo Vadis Habana came in B5. Oh, well. Now that I understand that B5 really applies to the 7x10-ish notebooks, I will say that when I discovered Apica 6A10, I also wished I had a more durable cover for it. I looked around a bit and really couldn't find any hardcover options, so I began looking at refillable leather cover options. The conclusion I came to was to try Renaissance Art for a custom leather refillable cover. I stopped there. =)

I really like Renaissance Art's work, and am not concerned about spending the additional money, but I already have an A5 refillable leather cover for regular daily use, and I just didn't want to add another to the mix.

If anyone else has other B5 options, I would like to hear them too.

All the best,
    kp

Thanks

Klpea, no worries!

I have a few of the A5 Habanas, and I do really like the paper and the tight line spacing but I find them just a bit too small. I wish they came in B5--that would be an almost-perfect notebook!

I am planning to try the Life Sunny Gold notebook next time I order from Nanami.

As far as covers for the Apica notebooks, has anyone else seen this canvas cover?

Thanks

@reprieve: Thanks!

Actually, I have seen the canvas cover sold by jet pens (purchased by a friend!), and I thought it looked sharp. I was a little surprised with how good it looked, in person. I tend to have low expectations with items of that nature, but I have looked for it on jet pens since then; seems to be sold out a lot. I guess that must say something, right?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to klpeabody For This Useful Post:

ypsilanti (April 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

I like B5 in loose leaf then filed in a Kokuyo Color Palette binder.

Topic/subject dividers..

Tony

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Rex For This Useful Post:

heath (April 21st, 2014), klpeabody (April 22nd, 2014), ypsilanti (April 22nd, 2014)

Thanks

oh absolutely, I just love B5! Unlike you I'd never realized that A5 is too small and A4 too big, I only realized I felt like that AFTER I'd actually tried B5 and experienced just how perfect a size it is :P I used it sort of because I had to: after impulse-buying a notepad-sized Lihit Lab Twist Rings, I loved the ring mechanism but wanted a bigger notebook, and B5 was the only one Jetpens stocked (still is). I was none too pleased because I didn't think too much of in-between sizes like that, but when I actually used it, OMG what a revelation!!

Since then I've also kept an eye out for other B sizes - B6 makes a great portable format, for instance. It's also a great size for a journal, as I discovered when I realized I'd been using B6 notebooks for almost a year with my refillable barnes and noble journal cover :P

My favorite B5 notebook is the Twist Rings I mentioned, but only for the binding and covers. I'm not crazy about the lined paper it ships with, so I use other notebooks as a refill for it. I like squared paper that is off-white so my absolute favorite for that was the Kokuyo Inspiracion, but jetpens no longer stock it and I can't find it anywhere else either! Still I had to mention it because if you can find it, it's just great and totally worth a try Alternatively the Kokuyo Campus "Route to the top" is great too - lined instead of squared, but still off-white

Thanks

@reprieve: Thanks!

Actually, I have seen the canvas cover sold by jet pens (purchased by a friend!), and I thought it looked sharp. I was a little surprised with how good it looked, in person. I tend to have low expectations with items of that nature, but I have looked for it on jet pens since then; seems to be sold out a lot. I guess that must say something, right?
    I got my A5 one from JetPens, but I got my B5 one from Amazon. They are a little spendy, but they have lots of cool organizational features inside.
    Trying to save the day for the Old World man
    Trying to pave the way for the Third World man

Thanks

I think Leuctturm paper is meh. Love the numbered pages and TOC so I do buy and use them. There is high chance of show through in my experience though
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

I've had pretty good luck with Leuctturm. A bit of show through but minimal feathering and bleed-through. The binding and elastic are pretty sturdy. Too bad they don't come in the B5 size! The A4 master notebooks are a bit too large for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I've had pretty good luck with Leuctturm. A bit of show through but minimal feathering and bleed-through. The binding and elastic are pretty sturdy. Too bad they don't come in the B5 size! The A4 master notebooks are a bit too large for me.
    I have had good luck with Leuchtturm, too!
    Yeah, no B5. Sadly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    A5 (too small) and A4 (too large)
    I don't know about notebooks yet as I am still trying to find writing pads that work for me. I agree that the A5 is too small and the A4 is too big, I have recently received Tomoe River and Madori pads both in B5 and think that is the perfect size for me. Once I am done sampling pads I will move on to notebooks.